VoIP Issues

Old, inactive threads
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VoIP Issues

Post by Gidget » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 am

Hi Julian

The 24-48 hours would usually be 1-2 business days, rather than calendar days (Exetel's carriers don't generally work on weekends).

As for your decreased speed, it is possible that Exetel Support put a stability profile (i.e. a restricted speed) on your line - with a line fault existing, a stability profile can often get you back online pending a fix of the line fault. In this case, the decreased speed is in all likelihood the cause of your VOIP quality issue.

You can send a reply email to your Ticket email response and ask to have the stability profile removed (if one has in fact been applied) - be aware, though, that if your line fault hasn't yet been resolved this could knock you offline again.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 am

Cheers mate.

So I should wait for their call/call them in regards to what happened/is happening with the line fault?

So the VOIP issues are related to a bandwidth issue then?

Many thanks! :)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi plasmapuff

If you still haven't received a progress report on your fault then I suggest you give Exetel Support a ring (see the number in my signature).

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Gidget wrote:Hi plasmapuff

If you still haven't received a progress report on your fault then I suggest you give Exetel Support a ring (see the number in my signature).

Gidget
Yeah I've been doing that as well since last Friday. I'm finding the support to be very hit and miss. No one seems to be documenting anything, so I have to tell the story from square 1 every time :(

After completing 4 line tests which have all come back as a line fault (since LAST friday), they're finally going to "perhaps" get a technician to have a look at it, and will contact me again in 24-48hrs...which is what they told me LAST friday... :(

Starting to loose faith...

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

What's your Ticket Number?

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Gidget wrote:What's your Ticket Number?

Gidget
The one which they created on the 27th Jan is 2138853.

The one on Friday 22nd was either not created or closed.

Communication has been generally very poor.

They never called me back after they said they would investigate the line fault on Friday. Instead on Sunday I randomly decided to try the modem again and it was working, albeit on a stability profile as I suspect as I was under half my normal speed test results, VOIP outgoing (uploads) was not working properly (such that the people at the Exetel support line were hanging up on me), and it would keep disconnecting randomly every few mins.

Then I think they changed the profile, and it stopped working altogether again.

In between this were 4 seperate line tests on different occasions with the same "line fault" result, and repeated attempts by me to tell them that yes I've factory resetted my modem, power cycled it, I've tested it at a neighbours house etc...

The typical reply is that yes we'll have a look at it in 24-48hrs and get back to you...which has never happened (Except for an sms this morning telling me to call up and do yet another line test).

Thanks for all your help Gidget. I'm just slightly annoyed and want this fixed up and don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with the support staff at the moment :(

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi plasmapuff

I can see that your ticket is definitely progressing and that there is a tech appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning - hang in there :)

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:12 pm

There is now a tech due out tomorrow, the line is testing abnormal, but also, you are 5183m from exchange.

The VoIP issues are due to the poor upload - just 53kbps available for upstream data..

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Cheers guys.

I wish the Exetel person on the line told me this :)

So do I /arrange for someone to be at home in the morning then? Is it an Exetel person or an Optus person looking at the line in the manhole outside?

Thanks once again. Hanging in there...

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Someone over 18 needs to be present.
One of our staff called and advised this morning:
"called eu he confirmed tomorrow 29/01 between 8 - 12"

The person will be Telstra, a Telstra contractor, or someone involved with Telstra, purporting to be from Optus.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 am

@plasmapuff,
Be prepared to organise someone to check (and eventually repair) a fault with the wiring inside your premises.

I went through pretty much the same sequence of events as you (although the scheduling of a tech visit happened much quicker for me), and of course it turned out to be a fault with the line in my premises (which I half expected anyway).

The supplier tech can isolate the fault for you (ie if you have multiple physical lines running around the house, they can tell which one is the problem), but they do not do repairs (unless very simple - eg poor connection to your wall socket) - you would have to organise this yourself.

Of course, it maybe a supplier fault, but I also want to prepare you for some further phones calls and tech visits.

On a happy note, once mine was repaired, everything has been running smoothly and at good speed.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:58 pm

In this case it was an exchange side fault - it wasn't jumpered up properly.
It's now back in sync on the 24Mbps profile, at 3582/664, over that 5.1kM Line length.

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:51 pm

JasonM wrote:In this case it was an exchange side fault - it wasn't jumpered up properly.
It's now back in sync on the 24Mbps profile, at 3582/664, over that 5.1kM Line length.
Thanks Jason. I'll test it out when I get back tonight.

For interest sake - what exactly does "exchange side fault - it wasn't jumpered up properly" mean? Apparently the tech didn't really do anything..? he was in and out within 4 minutes. So the problem was rectified at Telstra's end?

Also is there anything I can do to speed up the the line? Or is it just a matter of loss of signal due to travel distance?

Also can I contact anyone for a pro-rata credit of my bill for this month? Its been out/faulty for exactly 7 days.

Many thanks once again to Gidget and Jason for all your help! :) :) I also hope the support line becomes more consistent (such as not always creating tickets, closing them too soon, or taking progress notes) and knowledgeable, rather than triaging me through this checklist which I had gone through multiple times. In the end it only took 48hrs of prompt appropriate action before it was fixed, too bad this didn't happen tho until day 5.

Oh well...all is good :) Cheers guys!

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Over that distance, many services are simply undeliverable. It's great you do have the speed you have over that distance, it's unlikely it'll get much faster than it is.

What appears to have happened from the line tests and the technician notes was the jumper cable that goes to the equipment in the exchange was faulty / not connected correctly.

Email billing@exetel.com.au and allow time for them to investigate and respond (especially with billing approaching on Monday).

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Jason/Gidget,

Thanks for your help again in regards to the exchange connection issues a few weeks ago. I've contacted billing via the email you provided, but they've been very very unhelpful with the matter.

They will only refund the money from Wed 27th of Jan when the ticket was logged (and NOT closed) to the Fri 29th when it was fixed. As you know, as I had been reporting on the forum and through my connection logs, I had been experiencing problems since Fri the 22nd. On this day I called up Exetel, and the engineer told me it was a line fault but either did not create a ticket or closed it.

Can you please help me rectify the issue?

This is beginning to get very very frustrating and this incident has made me reluctant to recommend Exetel to friends who don't have the know-how without a competent technical support line.

Many thanks for your help on this matter.

Yours sincerely,
Julian

My correspondence with the billing department is below.
Dear Exetel,

I actually reported the service on the Friday 22nd of January via the phone to Residential Support Services, but your support member either didn't create a ticket or closed it without investigating the fault.

As you can see from the Exetel forum (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=34201&start=90 ) and (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=34201&start=105 ), I was experiencing technical difficulties with my connection from *Friday 22nd of January to Friday 29th January*

My connection logs, if you will check them will also prove this fact.

I urge you strongly to reinvestigate the matter.

On 8 February 2010 11:02, Exetel Billing <billing@exetel.com.au> wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have reported a service issue on 27/01/10 which was restored on 29/01/10.

The issue was caused by a jumpering issue at the exchange for which we will reimburse starting from the date the service issue was logged till when it was resolved.

Refund amount = 3/31* 40 = $3.87

The $3.87 will get credited to your next monthly charge.

Refund Id - 15282

rukshani
Exetel Pty Ltd

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:16:12 +1100
> Hi there,
>
> I'm writing to ask whether I can get a credit pro-rata for the month of
> January's Naked ADSL 2 bill.
>
>
> As you can see from the Exetel forum (
> viewtopic.php?f=58&t=34201&start=90 ) and (
> viewtopic.php?f=58&t=34201&start=105 ), I was
> experiencing technical difficulties with my connection from *Friday 22nd of
> January to Friday 29th January*.
>
> This was apparently due to a carrier fault where the jumper cable that goes
> to the equipment in the exchange was faulty / not connected correctly
> according to the line tests and the technician notes.
>
> During this 7 day period period my internet was either completely not
> working or speed limited via a stability profile which was still cutting out
> every few minutes (such that during my 20 or so calls I made to the Exetel
> support line during this 1 week period, the operators would hang up on me as
> my upload speed was limited to such an extent that they couldn't hear me, or
> the line would cut out).
>
> Besides from the terrible inconvenience of delayed action on this matter
> (the line fault was picked up on the 22nd of Jan, but no ticket was
> filed/tickets were closed until Wed 27th Jan when I had to chase up the
> issue again for the 3rd time, and an engineer did not come out until the
> 29th Jan), which included a complete loss of ADSL, VOIP on my NAKED plan, I
> believe I was also charged by Exetel during this period.
>
> I would like to have the cost of the bill for this 7 day period refunded.
>
> I'm happy to assist with any inquiries that you would like to make to verify
> this matter,