shape

Old, inactive threads
trev12

shape

Post by trev12 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:01 pm

ok i called exetel was inform that because of my last old plan which was at $6 excess download i was on shaped and since i didnt change the option to unshape it remains at $6 i wasnt inform about this and i cant see on any page where it says if u are shaped u still got to pay $6 if i had know this at the time i change my plan i would have unshaped it i think this is very wrong

JasonM

Re: shape

Post by JasonM » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Shaping measures from the very beginning included a 2GB buffer and $6/GB excess charging.
Turn shaping off, $3/GB applies. Once turned off, it cannot be turned back on.

trev12

Post by trev12 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 pm

yes i know that but with the new plans u showed it says $1.50 a gig excess download so if u go on a new plan it should be that no one told me i had to unshaped to get that deal if that is the case it should say $1.50 a gig if unshaped on the plan

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:39 pm

It says $6/GB on the page you select to enable shaping? (so, when you go to enable it, you know the rate for excess).
It also says $6/GB on the blocked page, and for the older plans, it's $3/GB for unshaped (you can't shape the new plans).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 pm

trev12 wrote:i was on shaped and since i didnt change the option to unshape it remains at $6 i wasnt inform about this
So, to summarise, you take issue because your $6/GB (shaped) excess rate has not varied from that rate which you initially agreed to.

While you may think it is unclear, I'm afraid you've got no real recourse because common sense would dictate that since you initially agreed to a $6/GB shaped excess rate you would be content to continue at that rate, new plan or not. Unless the new plans explicitly display a different shaped excess rate (which you admit they don't) you are responsible for your own incorrect presumption

trev12

Post by trev12 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:18 pm

i totally disagree there as i chose shaping about 6 months ago and if i knew that by keeping my shape options on it would cost me $6 instead of $1.50 i would have turn my shape option off the month before i started a new plan now like i said i went on this plan for 2 reason the lower cost and the lower excess download price now if u are not inform that u need to remove the shaping options how can u tell that u have to remove it to get $1.50 and as far as i am concern when u start a new plan u should automanity go onto that plan not go on it and have part of your older plan carry over and if u want to shape then and pay the $6 then u should be up to you not to be carried over without u know is wrong sorry to say

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 pm

It's not an issue we can consider on the forum, email billing@exetel.com.au.

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm with you here 'trev12'.
I feel so robbed at the moment, after 2 months of paying almost double the amount I normally pay -$81 and $75 on a $45 plan.
If you shape an account then reduce the damn speed, that's what shaping suppose to be isn't it?
All exetel is doing amounts to nothing: display a screen which my kids quickly ignore, then what's the point of shaping?

I also found out I'm better off on a cheaper plan as I pay less yet get more downloads, yet nobody bothered asking if I want to change my plan. Yes I got an email saying 'we got new plans' and that's it. This reminds me of my old ISP, that's why I'm now 'ex-customer'.

Jason,
right now I'd like to know how to change my account from shape to unshape, I've searched through the entire left hand menu, did a search on this forum, yet I just can't find that option, pls point it out to me thank you.

cheers
jon

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:41 pm

jonzei wrote: All exetel is doing amounts to nothing: display a screen which my kids quickly ignore, then what's the point of shaping?
Your kids? Kids can't be account holders, therefore, it's the account holders responsibility to ensure access to the service is secure.
jonzei wrote: I also found out I'm better off on a cheaper plan as I pay less yet get more downloads, yet nobody bothered asking if I want to change my plan. Yes I got an email saying 'we got new plans' and that's it. This reminds me of my old ISP, that's why I'm now 'ex-customer'.
You should monitor your spending, it appears as common sense to me.
jonzei wrote:Jason,
right now I'd like to know how to change my account from shape to unshape, I've searched through the entire left hand menu, did a search on this forum, yet I just can't find that option, pls point it out to me thank you.
In Members Facilities, "Account Details" -> "View Plan Details" -> Change Download Options, untick both shaping options.

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 pm

jonzei wrote:All exetel is doing amounts to nothing: display a screen which my kids quickly ignore, then what's the point of shaping?
JasonM wrote:Your kids? Kids can't be account holders, therefore, it's the account holders responsibility to ensure access to the service is secure.
Where does the security comes in place here? The modem on 'always on' and once the limit is reached a page comes up regardless of who's logged into the net and then the user is prompted the option to type in the phone number and click that he agrees to pay the extra charges. My kids need to know the home phone number so what do you mean by "... access to the service is secure" ?
None of them have access to the modem setup page or the exetel account page so could you be more specific what security you're referring to please?
jonzei wrote:I also found out I'm better off on a cheaper plan as I pay less yet get more downloads, yet nobody bothered asking if I want to change my plan. Yes I got an email saying 'we got new plans' and that's it. This reminds me of my old ISP, that's why I'm now 'ex-customer'.
JasonM wrote:You should monitor your spending, it appears as common sense to me.
Good advice, I've checked all ISP and it seems I get better value from TPG, thank you.
jonzei wrote:Jason,
JasonM wrote:In Members Facilities, "Account Details" -> "View Plan Details" -> Change Download Options, untick both shaping options.
Really ?? I find it difficult to spot that area, so I'm attaching a photo of that link, would you care to point out exactly which option I should tick please?
Attachments
planDetails.png
my plan details as of 16 Nov 2009, 8:56 pm
planDetails.png (108.38 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Last edited by jonzei on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Please PM your number to me, I'll confirm you are indeed shaped.

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:45 pm

JasonM wrote:Please PM your number to me, I'll confirm you are indeed shaped.
Jason, for what I've read in the past you have helped many people.
However, in my case, I found your replies initially un-professional then plain useless.
I don't need you to check weather I'm shaped, I know I am -look at the photo- and I want to change that to 'UN-SHAPE'.
Your advice on how to do it is INCORRECT, and I believe it is not possible to 'unshape' my account.

Further more, what security were you talking about?

I'm going to open another thread as I don't want to hijack 'trev12' issue.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 pm

Jonzei, just PM JasonM and ask him to remove shaping for you then (other users on new plans without the option in their user facilities can also do so by emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au). Simple, really...