account shaping

Old, inactive threads
jonzei

account shaping

Post by jonzei » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Here is the situation.
I'm on a PTL B $45/month 12Gb peak/60Gb off peak. I have teenagers who watch a lot of youtube therefore I opted for shaping my account.
But shaping IS NOT WORKING. In the last 2 months I payed $81 and $75 because Exetel failed to shape the account.

This is what happens. It takes about 2-3 weeks for the kids to reach the 12Gb peak quota. Then the internet gets blocked, displaying a page that says amongst other things:
"... you have reached your qouta.... blah, blah, blah ..get extra 2GB ..blah... if you continue you'll be charged $6/Gb .... blah, blah... please type your number then click Ok"
It is normal for a kid to want continue watching youtube, therefore they put the number in, click ok, and away it goes.... THE DAMN SPEED IS NOT SLOWED DOWN. And why don't you ask for the password as well? Is a phone number input adequate security ? NO IT'S NOT.
I selected "SHAPED" because I expected you cut the speed down, not to give me a warning and keep charging me an astronomical amount/Gb.
Can't you see it's cheaper to have an un-shaped account?

This bring me to the second issue.
I tried to 'Un-Shape' the account (implemented from the start of each month), Jason even offered untested advice.
As of yesterday -16 Nov 2009- it was not possible, there is no option anywhere to disable shaping.

Third issue:
Banks and phone companies (the ones I dealt with) inform their customers when the rates go up and down.
Exetel has changed plans so that I would be better off on a $35/month plan, yet they don't run a plan comparisons for each customer that would allow a rapid change of plan. Why would they if they can get more money, but in my view that's bad customer service.
Yes their plans are easily available but if Telstra can email me and say " ... we've analysed your plan and based on your spending we inform you you're on the best plan ..." then why can't Exetel do that?
Do they lack computer power or good will?

I raised a ticket but I'm certain will be given some 'fine print' terms and conditions, if that's the case I assure you I will be gone to TPG, regardless of their crappy service, but just to prove a point.

And Jason I don't need any patronizing advice from you, please refrain if you can't be professional.

Cheers
Jon

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: account shaping

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Exetel provides email notification of new plans. You have to opt in at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/infor ... _email.php

Every one with teenagers needs a meter - pick one from http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewforum.php?f=16 These read Exetel's meter which updates about every half hour. If they won't monitor their use, you will have to.

I agree with you about the block page - it would be better if you had to log in to clear it. Shaping hasn't slowed you down much ever, so it's the wrong word to use.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Dazzled wrote:I agree with you about the block page - it would be better if you had to log in to clear it
It was suggested, never got anywhere.

But, it's still secure, as the only one who would know the service number is the account holder, and if the account holder can't keep their account secure, the account holder might be better off becoming an irresponsible account holder elsewhere.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 am

JasonM wrote:But, it's still secure
Secure against outsiders, possibly (it checks the IP of the connection before unblocking, doesn't it?). Secure against children inadvertently, or deliberately unblocking the service, not at all.
jonzei wrote:And Jason I don't need any patronizing advice from you, please refrain if you can't be professional
That goes for you too you know Jonzei...
jonzei wrote:I selected "SHAPED" because I expected you cut the speed down, not to give me a warning and keep charging me an astronomical amount/Gb.
Can't you see it's cheaper to have an un-shaped account?
The shaping option is not intended for you to avoid large excess usage fees due to kids using more than 12 GB. It is there as a warning and a buffer for those users who occassionally and mistakingly exceed their limit. The shaping is only a 2GB uncharged buffer above your quota (though I suspect the wording in the excess block page doesn't state this clearly) and internal traffic like cached content remains unshaped at all times because of network topology. As you have stated, if you go over the limit and over the 2GB buffer it is cheaper to have an unshaped account. This is intentional (for the reasons already given) so it is pretty clear that you should be choosing the un-shaped option especially with the $1.50/GB excess rates on the new plans.
jonzei wrote:I tried to 'Un-Shape' the account...there is no option anywhere to disable shaping.
Seems to be an oversight in the user facilities because new plans aren't intended to be shaped but old shaping options carry over until explicitly de-selected by the user. You can PM JasonM or email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au if you wish to disable the shaping option but once you do so you can not re-instate it as the option is not offered on new plans
jonzei wrote:Third issue
C'mon now jonzei. The number of companies who offer continuous plan comparisons and voluntarily offer to switch you to a better valued plan are very few. In fact, Exetel is one of the good ones in that they constantly increase the benefits of old plans even when on contract (show me other ISPs that do that). They have also mass migrated users from ADSL to ADSL2+ in the past for free because of price reductions (ADSL2+ is cheaper for everyone). But ultimately it is your own responsibility to seek the best plan and you are able to do so at any time without charge (assuming you switch within equivalent plan types). Exetel should not have to 'nanny' you in this respect.
jonzei wrote:that's the case I assure you I will be gone to TPG
Am I to assume that you are the type of user that would migrate to TPG, against your better judgement, on (in my opinion) misguided principles? If so, you are welcome to do so. But honestly, try stepping back a little, being a little less confrontational and you'll quickly find that you have absolutely no incentive to do so and that Exetel are offering you huge value and features that other ISPs don't even come close to (try naming an ISP as cheap as Exetel, with as high quota, who offer users the *option* to shape or not, constantly increase quotas and charge only $1.50/GB excess).

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:29 pm

JasonM wrote:
Dazzled wrote:I agree with you about the block page - it would be better if you had to log in to clear it
It was suggested, never got anywhere.

But, it's still secure, as the only one who would know the service number is the account holder, and if the account holder can't keep their account secure, the account holder might be better off becoming an irresponsible account holder elsewhere.
I totally disagree since it does NOT ask for a service number, it asks for ADSL telephone number -you may well call that a 'service number' but it's still a telephone number.
It's unreasonable to assume either a 13 or 18 yo kid not knowing their home phone.

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Corey,
Allow me to re-iterate a bit. I changed my plan about 6 months ago -used to be on 25Gb peak- as my eldest son had joined the navy I assumed there will be less need for data.
The very first month after change, my quota was filled in about 25 days, thereafter it was slow for the remainder of the month.
Having worked few years for Bigpond my understanding of 'shape' was that no matter what you do, the speed is throttled down to 64k, that's how it is with Bigpond and that's how Exetel connection behaved in my first month of shaping.
I have a network at home, each kid has own PC and local admin. I don't restrict them thinking that once the quota has been reached they will pay the price. That's where I hoped Exetel does it's share.
It seems Exetel's definition of 'shape' is different to mine and of what's generally understood. In this case they should've selected a more appropriate word.

Now ....
Emailed Exetel, got no reply -yet- therefore posted on this forum. To my amazement Jason accused me of being irresponsible and lacking common sense.
It seems to me he's actual Exetel staff, whereas you're not. You may be a contractor or similar, but actually not in the office of Exetel.
Yet you use reasonable, logical and courteous language, so why can't an Exetel staff use same approach.
I thought he had a bad day, but it continued the day after, therefore that reasoning is out.

To be honest I was disappointed to realise that someone I thought of as a true professional was the opposite (the wrong info he gave me is no big deal, but releasing the info without checking it first doesn't look good, doesn't it).
In the end he could've said "Sorry I gave you wrong info" and that's that, instead he continued with words such "....better off becoming an irresponsible account holder elsewhere."

In my view that is very bad customer service, he could well be dissatisfied with his job and wants Exetel to lose as many customers as possible. Don't know his reasons, don't really care, Jason does not mean Exetel but Exetel pays his wages and he should represent well the image of Exetel.
Cheers
Jon
p/s: not I'm not that type of customer mate, but it's frustrating to revisit the previous feelings I had with my previous ISP -aanet- when I reported a problem, and the guy responded with "There is no problem otherwise my mail box would be full ! ?? " - it turned out they only had 2 customers on Brooklyn exchange.

bigkev81

Post by bigkev81 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi there jonzei,
It says there that you work for bigpond.
I used to work for bigpond also. Because of that, I know what good value this ISP is, even compared to other competitors.
You know you're not gonna find a better provider.They may not be as customer focused as Bigpond, but then again, they aren't a giant like Bigpond.

Knowing that you know this, and due to your comment you also know that TPG is a crappy ISP, for you to change to them would be silly and mind boggling, lol

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:44 am

cya...

if u want someone else to do ur work in checking plans etc maybe u should go somewhere else... when i get the email i always have a look at what my current plan is to make sure im getting the best value.

if u get the blocked page how about disconnecting the kids from the net so u dont get over charged. maybe ur kids need to know that if they go over than no more net.