Stupid Q! About Residential plans for business...

Old, inactive threads
Colt

Stupid Q! About Residential plans for business...

Post by Colt » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Ok so I have a silly question, what prevents us from using home/residential plans for a small business internet connection?

Is it simply a case of different quality of service levels? I've been extremely happy with my residential service and I'd have no qualms recommending it for our primary ADSL source at work (small consultancy of 5). Provided there's no real reason not to.

I realise support would remain the same...anything else I should be aware of?

We do have a pbx at work but it has an ADSL bypass so that should be ok. If not we can deal with it easily enough and create a separate line for the ADSL.

Tim K

Re: Stupid Q! About Residential plans for business...

Post by Tim K » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm

In essence, if you consider one of our residential services are suitable for your needs, nothing is stopping you from doing this - and in fact, some of our customers are doing exactly what you describe. However, one thing to consider is that being a residential service it has no Service Level Agreement attached, so there are no real 'guaranteed' fix times for faults, which means if the absolute minimum downtime is required, investigating one of our business options that carry an SLA (or looking at having a 'backup' service, eg. HSPA) may become things to consider depending on your circumstances and what sort of price you're prepared to pay.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Stupid Q! About Residential plans for business...

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Colt wrote:anything else I should be aware of?
As Tim says, no: it is completely your choice. Just don't try to post to the forum or lodge support tickets that say "I am experiencing an outage at the moment and it is highly critical that it be fixed because my business is suffering" because you will get the exact spiel from above saying that it was your own choice to operate the business on a residential grade service and the fault will not receive any special treatment.

But, I think with a fall-over connection like a HSPA device, operating a small non-mission-critical business on a residential ADSL2+ connection is highly feasible.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au