Keeping my Telstra number

Old, inactive threads
hotdish

Keeping my Telstra number

Post by hotdish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi All,

I am not far off moving house. I currently have ADSL1 and a telstra PSTN on a adsl1 only exchange, I am moving not far away but to another exchange area that has ADSL2 availability. How do I go about getting naked ADSL at my new address and getting my old PSTN number changed to voip and operating there as well.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by hotdish on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim K

Re: Keeping my Telstra number

Post by Tim K » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Afternoon Hotdish,

In terms of your phone number, you may need to check with Telstra - if you are moving to a different exchange, you may not be able to use the same phone number. Telstra should be able to confirm this.

However, whether you are able to keep the same number or require a phone number, the procedure is essentially the same:

1. Order a reloaction of the current phone service through Telstra.
2. Submit an order to relocate the current connection through User Facilities. Bear in mind that the date you elect to start the relocation from should be after the activation of the new service (probably best to allow 24-48 hours to allow all databases to update). you should be able to upgrade plans at the same time.

hotdish

Post by hotdish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for your reply Tim K, unfortunately just checking with Telstra was not as simple as it sounds they have not got a clue! If there is something that I can do now while I still have my old address and phone number to get the PSTN line converted to VOIP it should not matter if I relocate to my new ADSL2 location at a later date?? My main concern is not the application for removal of my service but how can I keep my PSTN number(as a VOIP)

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm

The problem I can see with that is contracts. Depending on availability, it might be possible to move the number to VOIP at your current address as part of a Naked DSl application, however moving to the new address will cause a problem as that will start a new 12 month contract and moving essentially triggers early cancellation fees.