Unlimited ADSL2 Plans - Update

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Unlimited ADSL2 Plans - Update

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 pm

As those of you who subscribe to the Exetel customer news letter would have seen we will add the unlimited plans to the Exetel Web Site next week which means any user who has those plans made available to them can apply before the end of April and the plan will become active from May 1st.

The plans that will almost certainly be offered (only subject to last phase 'sanity checking') will be:

Optus ADSL2 (inc phone) $75.00 per month plus telephone line rental of $20.00 per month (call costs as currently advertised)

Optus ADSL2 (naked) $80.00 per month plus Exetel VoIP with a minimum spend of $5.00 per month (VoIp calls 10 cents per unlimited wire line call; Mobile 15 cents per minute)

There will be a plan change fee of $10.00

There will be a new contract period of 12 months

These plans will be made available to all current customers who:

- out of contract
- have a good payment record
- have been with Exetel for at least 12 months at the current or previous address(es)

Two of the most common questions that have been asked either here or elsewhere:

Q) How will Exetel's network cope with the demands of many unlimited users?

A) Exetel has finalised the details of almost doubling its current IP bandwidth at no additional cost than it pays now which means that IP bandwidth will not be any sort of issue. Exetel has not been able to reduce monthly port costs and back haul costs as significantly but has satisfied itself that the new costings negotiated over the past month or so provide the financial flexibility that will make no economic impact on its profitability or cash flow.

Q) Why isn't Exetel offering unlimited ADSL2 plans to new users?

A) Exetel thinks that the current market moves and changes are going to need time to settle down and that there will be many more changes than have taken place so far. We know the profiles of our current users who have been with us for over twelve months very well and wish to keep those customers of ours who may be encouraged to move to another supplier for the "peace of mind" of having not to concern themselves with excess down load charges should they need to download more in any month than a fixed download limit allows them to. We don't have the same information about new users.

Ravenous

Re: Unlimited ADSL2 Plans - Update

Post by Ravenous » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm

IncTel Unlimited All Inclusive = $95 p/m ?
NoTel Unlimited All Inclusive = $85 p/m ?

Competitive pricing once again. Thank you.

I am curious to see how the response will be?

Personally I will sit back and wait to see what FY '11 will bring with much anticipation.

I hope that Exetel's focus will return the lower-tier plans in the near future.

Edits: Hard to express my misunderstandings of the 'total cost' per month
Last edited by Ravenous on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:56 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel has finalised the details of almost doubling its current IP bandwidth at no additional cost than it pays now
Wow that's amazing. Technology has got to be Reserve Bank's favourite economic sector. :D

jubba

Post by jubba » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:08 pm

i was curious would exetel shape p2p in peak time if the need for that arose?

Col

Post by Col » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 pm

jubba wrote:i was curious would exetel shape p2p in peak time if the need for that arose?
Well they have switched off the NetEnforcer and plan to remove it completely, according to one of John's recent blog posts. To me that means they no longer shape P2P but there hasn't been any real announcement about it that I have picked up on. Exetel have installed PeerApp P2P/HTTP cache servers in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to reduce the strain on international circuits during peak times.

joelhinch

Post by joelhinch » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm

sooo, total of $75 or $95, im thinking $95 but im confused

pfarizy

Post by pfarizy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 am

Was it $75 (includes phone line) and $65 (naked) on the previous email?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:54 am

jubba wrote:i was curious would exetel shape p2p in peak time if the need for that arose?
No - we haven't shaped P2P at any time for some time now.

jubba

Post by jubba » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm

As for knowing the download patterns of these users. The current inc tel plans have unlimted offpeak which gives you an idea of how inc/tel users will treat the unlimited 24/7 plan.
But what about the naked users, how can you estimate download patterns of these users?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:19 pm

jubba wrote:As for knowing the download patterns of these users. The current inc tel plans have unlimted offpeak which gives you an idea of how inc/tel users will treat the unlimited 24/7 plan.
But what about the naked users, how can you estimate download patterns of these users?
Of course - we have records of monthly use by all our customers.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

joelhinch wrote:sooo, total of $75 or $95, im thinking $95 but im confused
inctel = $75.00 ADSL2 plus $20.00 for the telephone line.

The pricing is not yet final.

Villan

Post by Villan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Just curious, is the current thinking to offer these plans to those who haven't yet hit 12 months with Exetel, when they do get to 12 months?

For example, I've been with Exetel for 11 months, so while I won't be offered these plans now, is the thinking that I might be offered when I get to the 12 month mark?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Villan wrote:Just curious, is the current thinking to offer these plans to those who haven't yet hit 12 months with Exetel, when they do get to 12 months?

For example, I've been with Exetel for 11 months, so while I won't be offered these plans now, is the thinking that I might be offered when I get to the 12 month mark?
You will need to wait till 12 months are up.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:44 pm

As the current plan Z/23IncTel is $85 all up with 70GB peak.
The extra $10 for the proposed Unlimited plan will buy you 20GB on the old plan.

So you will need to download at least 90GB PEAK REGULARLY for the unlimited plan to make any financial sense as it has a 12 month contract. So lets say 120GB.

So if you download a similar amount off peak that is 120 + 120 = 240GB month.

Lots of data even for someone being sensible and not abusing their service.

Col

Post by Col » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Perhaps I'm a little slow chiming in, but... I think what Exetel is doing is great. Only offer it to existing customers to help retain/reward them, and not let every Tom, Dick and Harry get on them and abuse them. I actually think it would be sad to see totally unlimited ADSL2+ released to the public as they will no doubt eat into profits and capacity that would have otherwise been directed towards the lower end plans that the majority of the market picks.