"No charge" download limit

Old, inactive threads
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

"No charge" download limit

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 pm

The intention of this sticky thread is to publish the "3 times average Exetel user" limit that is relevant to "No Charge" plans so that users on different plans can note the value. It may be that these plans get phased out in the near future. In which case, perhaps this thread can migrate into a generic "Exetel download statistics" thread

Average Exetel usage:
Feb/March 2010 - about 28.6GB (3 times limit = 86GB)
April 2010 - 29.6GB (3 times limit = 89GB)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: "No charge" download limit

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Can anyone post the "No Charge" threshold appearing in their user facilities. Or alternative, can someone on a "No Charge" plan confirm whether this figure is still displayed in their user facilities
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Fri May 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Mmmmm maybe there aren't any 'no charge' plans left... so if there is no new soft limit to post here, could someone let us know what the current "average Exetel user" amount is that it was based on?

Peety

Post by Peety » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi, will this thread get updated now there are no 'No Charge' plans, if not is there anyway for us to find out what the average download is?
Cheers Matt

greesha

Post by greesha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 pm

On my OTA plan while the plan information on the website says no charge my plan shows "unlimited" offpeak in the members facilities. I can only assume the new "No Charge" is the same as the old charge and reasonable use is considered to be 3xaverage usage so around 85GB? Is that correct? Because I know I am not on unlimited offpeak and don't treat it as such.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 pm

greesha wrote:I can only assume the new "No Charge" is the same as the old charge and reasonable use is considered to be 3xaverage usage so around 85GB? Is that correct? Because I know I am not on unlimited offpeak and don't treat it as such.
I think this is a prudent and reasonable assumption. Not sure what I can do about updating this thread with average download information as I don't have access to this info. I'm hoping that since Exetel have returned to the "no charge" structure, they reinstate the "3 times average" policy again and re-introduce the threshold in the member facilities.

greesha

Post by greesha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Until there is an offical guide for no charge usage I will pretend I have a max of 80GB off peak and that should keep me out of trouble.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
greesha wrote:I can only assume the new "No Charge" is the same as the old charge and reasonable use is considered to be 3xaverage usage so around 85GB? Is that correct? Because I know I am not on unlimited offpeak and don't treat it as such.
I think this is a prudent and reasonable assumption. Not sure what I can do about updating this thread with average download information as I don't have access to this info. I'm hoping that since Exetel have returned to the "no charge" structure, they reinstate the "3 times average" policy again and re-introduce the threshold in the member facilities.
What are the plans with the 'no charge' structure?
Will they be available in my members section to change to?
I want to escape the 'unlimited' plan I'm on, we all know it's not truly unlimited! and we don't know where the boundaries are!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Tazz wrote:What are the plans with the 'no charge' structure?
Current OT, ON and AA plans
Tazz wrote:Will they be available in my members section to change to?
I want to escape the 'unlimited' plan I'm on, we all know it's not truly unlimited! and we don't know where the boundaries are!
They should be available. If they aren't, email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to ask why. But you could just imagine that you were on these plans and self-restrict your downloads to 80GB as well if you wanted. There is no need to change plans (you would actually lose 4 hours of off-peak if you did)

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Tazz wrote:What are the plans with the 'no charge' structure?
Current OT, ON and AA plans
Tazz wrote:Will they be available in my members section to change to?
They should be available. If they aren't, email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to ask why. But you could just imagine that you were on these plans and self-restrict your downloads to 80GB as well if you wanted. There is no need to change plans (you would actually lose 4 hours of off-peak if you did)
Thanks Corey for your as always helpful reply, your right, why bother changing plans and lose offpeak hours...

In another thread I have mentioned I was already restricting my offpeak downloads to 60gig, if the safe offpeak download is really 80gig I will now adjust my own self imposed limit to 80gig.
Thanks for the info

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:08 pm

There's no hard limit for any plans. So be aware there is no "safe limit". It is just my opinion of a guideline limit and it will change because of the different off-peak times and durations. If I were a heavy downloader, I'd aim to restrict myself to the equivalent of about 7.5GB per hour of off-peak and aim to schedule such downloads predominantly in the underutilised period from 4am-8am.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:There's no hard limit for any plans. So be aware there is no "safe limit". It is just my opinion of a guideline limit and it will change because of the different off-peak times and durations. If I were a heavy downloader, I'd aim to restrict myself to the equivalent of about 7.5GB per hour of off-peak and aim to schedule such downloads predominantly in the underutilised period from 4am-8am.
Mmmmm interesting "no safe limit"...
Ok then I'll go back to my limit of 60gig, and start my downloads from 4am.
Of course I may still be at the computer browsing until 2am before bed, but downloading will be scheduled to start at 4am.