ADSL2 Plan Changes

Old, inactive threads
foziebear69

Re: ADSL2 Plan Changes

Post by foziebear69 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Affinity wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:The changes will be reflected on the web pages and user facilities by COB today and apply from 1st April 2010.
1st April ??????
What don't you understand?

Duhhhhh................. today is the 20th of April

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 pm

bluefizzer wrote:when are we going to be told the amount plans are increased, is there going to be an option to keep the excess charges at all?
Yes - but it will not be added until later in the month.

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down
Wouldn't Exetel be giving up a lot of money in excess fees by doing this?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Do you understand the term "back dated"?

The changes are back dated to 1/4/10.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 pm

TerryP wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: 2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down
Yes.

foziebear69

Post by foziebear69 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
foziebear69 wrote:Does this also change for those of us that are on the old plans im on NAK2A plan

or does it only apply to the current plans, and will we ever get back the 2 hours of downloading off peak that we lost last year

Foz
It applies to the plans listed on the web site.

So your saying that as my plan no longer exists on the website these changes dont apply to me
Dont understand why you couldnt say that in the first place

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:21 pm

foziebear69 wrote:Does this also change for those of us that are on the old plans im on NAK2A plan

or does it only apply to the current plans, and will we ever get back the 2 hours of downloading off peak that we lost last year

Foz
No.

DavidTangye

Post by DavidTangye » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 pm

2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down
Good news for me if if applies to the NF/21NOTEL (naked) plan, as I would prefer running at 512k to paying extra - not that we go over the peak allowance anyway.

barefeet

Post by barefeet » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:25 pm

2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down
Are you seriously saying that you will now be shaping all plans? That's terrible. Exetel's best market advantage is not shaping excess data and not charging a fortune for excess. Please don't change this.

karLos

Post by karLos » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:31 pm

while my needs haven't really changed, my the adsl2 price on my invoice just keeps going up and up... i'd prefer the download allowances stay the same and the price not go up than be given further download allowances i don't really need and gradually pay more for it. got to be some form of bracket creep. :/

if the cost is now $60 as quoted currently on the website, that is an increase of $15 per month since october 2009.

apr $55
mar $55
feb $50
jan $50
dec $50
nov $50
oct $45
Last edited by karLos on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesander

Post by mikesander » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:33 pm

This sounds good, but do you mind if I ask why?

From what I previously understood, shaping represented a pain in the arse for exetel to manage, and excess what simply a lot easier. The excess charges were the lowest on the market and clearly stated (i thought, at least), such that people didn't get any surprises come the end of the month, Telstra style. If this makes Exetel worse off on your bottom line, plus the extra effort, then why do it?

Cheers
Mike

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:35 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
TerryP wrote:
Yes.
Shaped to 512k would suit me fine but I would rather have Exetel profitable. I remember the previous incarnation of shaping and that there were reported incidents of abuse at the time.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:44 pm

TerryP wrote:
Shaped to 512k would suit me fine but I would rather have Exetel profitable. I remember the previous incarnation of shaping and that there were reported incidents of abuse at the time.
Perhaps there will be again - it seems an inevitability for at least a few users.

However we are also assuming that the sort of user who wants massive peak time downloads will go to AAPT or to TPG.

Could easily be wrong about that.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm

mikesander wrote:This sounds good, but do you mind if I ask why?

From what I previously understood, shaping represented a pain in the arse for exetel to manage, and excess what simply a lot easier. The excess charges were the lowest on the market and clearly stated (i thought, at least), such that people didn't get any surprises come the end of the month, Telstra style. If this makes Exetel worse off on your bottom line, plus the extra effort, then why do it?

Cheers
Mike
Simpler for a sizable percentage of internet users.

If we add the facility to buy additional downloads for those that choose to do so then everyone can be happy.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm

mikesander wrote:This sounds good, but do you mind if I ask why?

Cheers
Mike
We eventually found an easier, and much less costly, way to do "shaping".

By adding to the already in place download allowances the 'need' for anyone to go over their peak limit must be significantly lessened.