ADSL2 Plan Changes

Old, inactive threads
ntsyd

Re: ADSL2 Plan Changes

Post by ntsyd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi,
my current plan is INCPHONE Z, will my peak time period will change to 12pm-12am? My current plan with exetel is:

Plan Type: INCPHONE Z
Monthly Access Charge: $55.00
Service Surcharge: $5.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
Peak Period Option: N/A
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 54000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
Service Line Speed: 18000/900
Service Activation Date: 2008-10-20
Contract Period: 12 Months

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:06 pm

ntsyd wrote:Hi,
my current plan is INCPHONE Z, will my peak time period will change to 12pm-12am? My current plan with exetel is:

Plan Type: INCPHONE Z
Monthly Access Charge: $55.00
Service Surcharge: $5.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 12000
Peak Period Option: N/A
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 54000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
Service Line Speed: 18000/900
Service Activation Date: 2008-10-20
Contract Period: 12 Months
If you don't change plans - nothing will change.

If you do change plans then the specifications of the new plan applies.

siers

Post by siers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi All,

I've read through the forum replies and had some specific questions that I can't seem to find answers for.

1. With regards to the 512k shaping -
a) does 512k shaping apply across ALL downloads at ALL times once the Peak usage is exceeded, or
b) does 512k shaping only on PEAK downloads and no shaping on OFF-PEAK downloads once the Peak usage is exceeded?

2. Depending on the answer to Question 1, to clarify ForumAdmin comments "shaping period will be 50% of the plan's peak period after which the service will be suspended for the balance of the month unless the customer elects to move to the next plan up." does this mean -
a) do ALL downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit, or
b) only PEAK downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit?

3. Regarding the speed of the new plans - my current Service Profile says my line speed is 'ADSL2+', whereas I've noticed that customer's on the new plans it says '18000/900'. Does this mean:
a) the new plans artificially limit the speed to 18000/900 (if I was able to obtain true ADSL2+ sync speed of 21000?)
b) this IS the default speed of 'ADSL2+' and it's just a different way of displaying it.

Thanks in advance.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:40 pm

gong_guy wrote:When will the option to change from the default shaping option to 50 cents per GB be available to us in the User facilities ?

Thanks
This has been up on the member's facilities.

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/account_view_plan.php

glenalec

Post by glenalec » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:00 am

I saw this question asked before but didn't see an answer:

When a user is shaped for peak overuse, does their offpeak also get shaped?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

glenalec wrote:I saw this question asked before but didn't see an answer:

When a user is shaped for peak overuse, does their offpeak also get shaped?
I believe that I read the answer in this thread and the answer is no, off peak is not affected. Please read through the thread to confirm.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:35 am

siers wrote:1. With regards to the 512k shaping -
a) does 512k shaping apply across ALL downloads at ALL times once the Peak usage is exceeded, or
b) does 512k shaping only on PEAK downloads and no shaping on OFF-PEAK downloads once the Peak usage is exceeded?
Not sure. Will need to await confirmation.
siers wrote:2. Depending on the answer to Question 1, to clarify ForumAdmin comments "shaping period will be 50% of the plan's peak period after which the service will be suspended for the balance of the month unless the customer elects to move to the next plan up." does this mean -
a) do ALL downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit, or
b) only PEAK downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit?
I thought this comment of ForumAdmin's was only a consideration and not yet ratified.
siers wrote:3. Regarding the speed of the new plans - my current Service Profile says my line speed is 'ADSL2+', whereas I've noticed that customer's on the new plans it says '18000/900'. Does this mean:
a) the new plans artificially limit the speed to 18000/900 (if I was able to obtain true ADSL2+ sync speed of 21000?)
b) this IS the default speed of 'ADSL2+' and it's just a different way of displaying it.
Display only. A while ago, most ISPs advertised plans as "24000/1000" but this is highly theoretical and no one can possibly achieve it. So Exetel started using "18000/900" as a more practical basis for advertising plans. It does not represent the presence of any artificial limits and the "ADSL2+" will just be a better way of describing the line speed without confusing people as to 24000 vs 18000.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Sgtspike

Post by Sgtspike » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:19 pm

A lot of confusing posts here. I am confused as the next guy here.
Say in a hypothetical scenario I reached the 50% peak allowance for the Z/22 plan;does that mean that, once, I have reached 50% of my bandwidth, peak period will get shaped to 512? Is that what the forumadmin is saying? :?: :?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:50 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I thought this comment of ForumAdmin's was only a consideration and not yet ratified.
Re-reading, it seems like it is slated for implementation.
Sgtspike wrote:A lot of confusing posts here. I am confused as the next guy here.
Say in a hypothetical scenario I reached the 50% peak allowance for the Z/22 plan;does that mean that, once, I have reached 50% of my bandwidth, peak period will get shaped to 512? Is that what the forumadmin is saying?
Nope.

You have an allocations for your peak period. By default, you receive the "shaped" option (though in May you will have the option of moving to an "excess usage charge" option). Under this shaped option, once you hit your limit, you get shaped to 512kbps. Once you hit a threshold of 1.5 times your limit (i.e. 50% excess usage) you will be told that it is not appropriate to use that much of shaped data and either to increase your plan or risk termination of service.

In effect, it is saying that the acceptable usage policy of the shaped option is that you can 50% of your regular quota while shaped, over and above your standard unshaped allocation, but any more than that is deemed inappropriate.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Sgtspike

Post by Sgtspike » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:I thought this comment of ForumAdmin's was only a consideration and not yet ratified.
Re-reading, it seems like it is slated for implementation.
Sgtspike wrote:A lot of confusing posts here. I am confused as the next guy here.
Say in a hypothetical scenario I reached the 50% peak allowance for the Z/22 plan;does that mean that, once, I have reached 50% of my bandwidth, peak period will get shaped to 512? Is that what the forumadmin is saying?
Nope.

You have an allocations for your peak period. By default, you receive the "shaped" option (though in May you will have the option of moving to an "excess usage charge" option). Under this shaped option, once you hit your limit, you get shaped to 512kbps. Once you hit a threshold of 1.5 times your limit (i.e. 50% excess usage) you will be told that it is not appropriate to use that much of shaped data and either to increase your plan or risk termination of service.

In effect, it is saying that the acceptable usage policy of the shaped option is that you can 50% of your regular quota while shaped, over and above your standard unshaped allocation, but any more than that is deemed inappropriate.
Ah...okay thanks for clarifying. How about offpeak? I assume, offpeak is unlimited?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Sgtspike wrote:Ah...okay thanks for clarifying. How about offpeak? I assume, offpeak is unlimited?
On these new plans, yes. But even then there is the general terms and conditions in your contract about "excessive usage". It states how "Exetel may suspend the Service at any time, without liability...if Exetel reasonably believes there has been an unusually high use of the Service" (i.e. "sustained high usage which exceeds the general average usage of customers on a similar pricing plan".

For example, if you download 250GB during the off-peak in 2-3 consecutive months you at well at risk of having your connection terminated under clause 13.1(it has happened to at least one user that I am aware of). If you limit your downloads to about 90GB per month, then you are inside the threshold that Exetel previously deem "Acceptable" before "unlimited", so you will be safe. Between these two amounts, there is no hard guidance as to what is acceptable or not, so you need to apply judgement and not go psycho on the downloads.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 pm

CoreyPlover wrote: For example, if you download 250GB during the off-peak in 2-3 consecutive months you at well at risk of having your connection terminated under clause 13.1(it has happened to at least one user that I am aware of). If you limit your downloads to about 90GB per month, then you are inside the threshold that Exetel previously deem "Acceptable" before "unlimited", so you will be safe. Between these two amounts, there is no hard guidance as to what is acceptable or not, so you need to apply judgement and not go psycho on the downloads.
I have no problem with Exetel terminating users who excessively download and affect the usage of the system by others.

BUT, considering the costs involving in moving from an Optus DSLAMs :( and the inconvenience I think there should be a warning or two first.

Then no-one can complain, everyone is happy :D

Sgtspike

Post by Sgtspike » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
Sgtspike wrote:Ah...okay thanks for clarifying. How about offpeak? I assume, offpeak is unlimited?
On these new plans, yes. But even then there is the general terms and conditions in your contract about "excessive usage". It states how "Exetel may suspend the Service at any time, without liability...if Exetel reasonably believes there has been an unusually high use of the Service" (i.e. "sustained high usage which exceeds the general average usage of customers on a similar pricing plan".

For example, if you download 250GB during the off-peak in 2-3 consecutive months you at well at risk of having your connection terminated under clause 13.1(it has happened to at least one user that I am aware of). If you limit your downloads to about 90GB per month, then you are inside the threshold that Exetel previously deem "Acceptable" before "unlimited", so you will be safe. Between these two amounts, there is no hard guidance as to what is acceptable or not, so you need to apply judgement and not go psycho on the downloads.

I just spoke to one of the exetel sales reps,she is telling me a totally different story...She tells me that, unlimited IS unlimited.

:?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 am

Sgtspike wrote:I just spoke to one of the exetel sales reps,she is telling me a totally different story...She tells me that, unlimited IS unlimited.
Possibly semantics. Technically there is "no limit" but Exetel have a policy (and always have had such a policy) for dealing with people who abuse their quotas or their service.

There are a number of threads that I can point you to for more information. http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=288&t=35618 was one of the earlier and http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=284&t=35808 is a more recent one

Sgtspike

Post by Sgtspike » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
Sgtspike wrote:I just spoke to one of the exetel sales reps,she is telling me a totally different story...She tells me that, unlimited IS unlimited.
Possibly semantics. Technically there is "no limit" but Exetel have a policy (and always have had such a policy) for dealing with people who abuse their quotas or their service.

There are a number of threads that I can point you to for more information. http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=288&t=35618 was one of the earlier and http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=284&t=35808 is a more recent one

Alright thanks! I honestly wish you guys had steam servers(probably a good idea in the not so distance future),so that any steam downloads won't get allocated towards bandwidth. But, that's probably wishful thinking. :P