ADSL2 Plan Changes

Old, inactive threads
siers

Re: ADSL2 Plan Changes

Post by siers » Sun May 02, 2010 6:21 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
siers wrote:1. With regards to the 512k shaping -
a) does 512k shaping apply across ALL downloads at ALL times once the Peak usage is exceeded, or
b) does 512k shaping only on PEAK downloads and no shaping on OFF-PEAK downloads once the Peak usage is exceeded?
Not sure. Will need to await confirmation.
Thanks, any idea on how long it would be until someone can?
CoreyPlover wrote:
siers wrote:2. Depending on the answer to Question 1, to clarify ForumAdmin comments "shaping period will be 50% of the plan's peak period after which the service will be suspended for the balance of the month unless the customer elects to move to the next plan up." does this mean -
a) do ALL downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit, or
b) only PEAK downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit?
I thought this comment of ForumAdmin's was only a consideration and not yet ratified.
I guess this is also waiting confirmation as to whether it is now the rule rather than a comment, and if it is a rule, how it's calculated.
CoreyPlover wrote:
siers wrote:3. Regarding the speed of the new plans - my current Service Profile says my line speed is 'ADSL2+', whereas I've noticed that customer's on the new plans it says '18000/900'. Does this mean:
a) the new plans artificially limit the speed to 18000/900 (if I was able to obtain true ADSL2+ sync speed of 21000?)
b) this IS the default speed of 'ADSL2+' and it's just a different way of displaying it.
Display only. A while ago, most ISPs advertised plans as "24000/1000" but this is highly theoretical and no one can possibly achieve it. So Exetel started using "18000/900" as a more practical basis for advertising plans. It does not represent the presence of any artificial limits and the "ADSL2+" will just be a better way of describing the line speed without confusing people as to 24000 vs 18000.
Thanks for that, it's pretty much what I thought.

Cheers,
Jeff.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 03, 2010 9:33 am

siers wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:
siers wrote:2. Depending on the answer to Question 1, to clarify ForumAdmin comments "shaping period will be 50% of the plan's peak period after which the service will be suspended for the balance of the month unless the customer elects to move to the next plan up." does this mean -
a) do ALL downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit, or
b) only PEAK downloads count towards the 50% shaping limit?
I thought this comment of ForumAdmin's was only a consideration and not yet ratified.
I guess this is also waiting confirmation as to whether it is now the rule rather than a comment, and if it is a rule, how it's calculated.
Re-reading (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p274380) I think that option b is the correct interpretation. Off peak downloads are unlimited in new plans now.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

Hi there

I received an email 2 days back from Exetel saying that they will change my off peak period from 1st June 2010:
from: the current 12 midnight to 12 noon or 2 am to 2 pm periods
to: 2 am to 8 am

I'm currently still in contract on this plan:

Plan Type: NF/22BYOLINE
Monthly Access Charge: $40.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 30000
Peak Period Option: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 60000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
Service Line Speed: ADSL2+

Not keen on 2am - 8am offpeak. I think I should just pay the $10 and change my plan to the unlimited plan announced on this thread. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

Regards

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 07, 2010 11:24 am

Steerpike wrote:Not keen on 2am - 8am offpeak. I think I should just pay the $10 and change my plan to the unlimited plan announced on this thread. What are your thoughts? Thank you!
Latest email shifts the proposed 2-8 from June to September and says that no service on a contract will be affected until the initial contract term expires. And, in fact, it is the "unlimited" plans that are probably going to be the main target for a 2am-8am off-peak anyway, so switching plans won't prevent that.
Edit: Plans on web site (O plans) are now generic "xGB with 512kbps shaping thereafter", so you might have to reconsider your question now

I think the whole issue of off-peak changes are a little too uncertain to be making any suggestions so you might be best to simply look at your usage levels and see whether 60GB 12-12 off-peak (which is your current plan) is sufficient. If it is, I can't see any point in switching plans
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Steerpike wrote:Not keen on 2am - 8am offpeak. I think I should just pay the $10 and change my plan to the unlimited plan announced on this thread. What are your thoughts? Thank you!
Latest email shifts the proposed 2-8 from June to September and says that no service on a contract will be affected until the initial contract term expires. And, in fact, it is the "unlimited" plans that are probably going to be the main target for a 2am-8am off-peak anyway, so switching plans won't prevent that.
Edit: Plans on web site (O plans) are now generic "xGB with 512kbps shaping thereafter", so you might have to reconsider your question now

I think the whole issue of off-peak changes are a little too uncertain to be making any suggestions so you might be best to simply look at your usage levels and see whether 60GB 12-12 off-peak (which is your current plan) is sufficient. If it is, I can't see any point in switching plans
Thanks CoreyPlover! Yes, I read the later email sent. It says "Equally obviously no commercial company wants to retain any customer who is not happy with the services that Exetel provides.

We will therefore delay any change to the introduction to the off peak period for all customers who are within their initial contract period until their contract period ends.

We will also delay any change in the off peak period for all customers who are out of contract until September 1st to allow more time for them to look for a more suitable provider of ADSL services."

That means, I can still have my 12-12 off-peak until my contract expires right? Did you say the unlimited off-peak times is likely to change?

Thanks again!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Steerpike wrote:That means, I can still have my 12-12 off-peak until my contract expires right?
Right and beyond that if you stay on the same plan.
Steerpike wrote:Did you say the unlimited off-peak times is likely to change?
They already have for new users. Check out the new plans on the Exetel website. Flat "xGB with shaping" and no mention of peak / off-peak

GalantDave

Post by GalantDave » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

I think exetel should shape the unlimted off peak users to 1000k with a download speed of 100Kbps, for the sake of the network.
Maybe exetel could get rid of off peak all together and go with peak download limits and then unlimited 1000k shaping, it would probably be less strain on the network.
cheaper adsl 2 plans like less than 30GB on-peak could be shaped to 512K, and cheaper still 256K.

jenkos

Post by jenkos » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi,

They do mention peak:
Included Peak Downloads
across the top of each Plan group, just not Off Peak.

jenkos

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Fri May 07, 2010 2:11 pm

jenkos wrote:Hi,
They do mention peak:
Included Peak Downloads

jenkos
This is getting crazier and crazier!
The page tells you how much Peak downloads you can get but nowhere spells out what Peak Time is, or what happens in the Off-Peak Time

Exetel, please settle on a structured set of Plans and stick to them.
It is the number of changes every month (sometimes retrospective changes) that is driving away existing customers and stopping me from being able to refer new ones. By the time a prospective new customer checks out a plan, compares it to your competitors, and decides on Exetel, the plan does not exist any more!!!!

I cant keep up.

Lawrie

ajarm1

Post by ajarm1 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Lawrie wrote:The page tells you how much Peak downloads you can get but nowhere spells out what Peak Time is, or what happens in the Off-Peak Time
I'm fairly certain you'll find that's because they're removing off-peak downloads. They removed them from ADSL1 yesterday, and if you look at the first table in the ADSL2+ section it just states 'Included Downloads'. I'd say the others still say 'Included Peak Downloads' just because they haven't been updated correctly yet.

Anyone from Exetel able to confirm anything yet?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri May 07, 2010 2:21 pm

ajarm1 wrote:
Lawrie wrote:The page tells you how much Peak downloads you can get but nowhere spells out what Peak Time is, or what happens in the Off-Peak Time
I'm fairly certain you'll find that's because they're removing off-peak downloads. They removed them from ADSL1 yesterday, and if you look at the first table in the ADSL2+ section it just states 'Included Downloads'. I'd say the others still say 'Included Peak Downloads' just because they haven't been updated correctly yet.

Anyone from Exetel able to confirm anything yet?
It will be corrected by COB today.

jenkos

Post by jenkos » Fri May 07, 2010 2:24 pm

jenkos wrote:Hi,

They do mention peak:
Included Peak Downloads

jenkos
Changing as we speak:
Included Downloads
jenkos

EDIT: I see it's possible to pay for extra d/l once signed up - a good idea.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri May 07, 2010 2:33 pm

jenkos wrote:EDIT: I see it's possible to pay for extra d/l once signed up - a good idea.
Last I heard, these plans are intended to have a one-off toggle option to disable shaping and revert back to an unshaped $0.50/GB excess usage basis

ajarm1

Post by ajarm1 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:37 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Last I heard, these plans are intended to have a one-off toggle option to disable shaping and revert back to an unshaped $0.50/GB excess usage basis
That option is listed there underneath the tables:
The standard setting is shaped.
You have the ability, once on the plan, to permanently switch to pay for excess at 50 cents per gb.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Fri May 07, 2010 2:47 pm

so the new plans have zero concept of Off-Peak?
With no increase in what was the Peak allowance - this appears to be a very large decrease in value

My prospective customer is looking at the TPG Super Fast Standard /130GB plan
TPG $50 gets you 70 GB + 60GB offpeak shaped to 1Mbps/1Mbps
Exetel $50 gets you 90GB shaped to 512Kbps
They dont want any VoIP/SMS etc extras

Can someone give me some advice on how I can sell the OTD plan to them instead. What are the pros & cons?

Lawrie