ADSL2 Plan Changes

Old, inactive threads
Yuri

Re: ADSL2 Plan Changes

Post by Yuri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:49 pm

If I change plans, do I keep my 2.00am - 2.00pm off-peak time (as an "early adopter" of that time-slot last year)?

olshep

Post by olshep » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm

I would far rather have full speed, and pay when I exceed the limit, than shaping. That was very clear when I signed up, so there are no surprises each month.

I know what my limit is each month, and I know that when I exceed it will only cost me an extra 50c per GB so an extra 10Gb is only $5. Big deal. But I don’t have the pain of the service slowing for the last week(s) of the month.

I see that a comment was posted that Admin might look at this, I certainly endorse it.

Col

Post by Col » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

A sizable amount of current customers and many potential new customers like the idea of flat-rate (shaped) plans so that there is no worry about going past the limit. At 50c/GB though it is a little absurd to complain about going past the quota for the month a bit, but the idea of flat-rate is still appealing. As long as Exetel offers an excess or data block option to those that need/want to maintain a full speed connection, which Exetel is saying they will, I personally like this change.
I remember the previous incarnation of shaping and that there were reported incidents of abuse at the time.
Yeah, then it was cut back down to only 2GB shaped then a higher excess charge ($6/GB) if you went any further. The fact that it was sometimes slow to kick in and that several sources weren't shaped allowed a few people to go wild.

So I guess my questions are... will this easier and much less costly way to do shaping work better? You have spread this implementation out to all the PoPs so that everyone is shaped? Will things inside the Exetel network (mirror, Exetel VoIP) be shaped too?

jubba

Post by jubba » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

If I change plans, do I keep my 2.00am - 2.00pm off-peak time (as an "early adopter" of that time-slot last year)?
if you ask residential support nicely they generally will be arrange that for you. (That's what happened to me in the past anyways)

The shaping option is nice though i've never come close to going over the current peak allowance and if the allowance is increased that would make it less likely. But its nice to have that peace of mind.

But i'm worried about the unlimited offpeak on the powertel plans. Is this really a good idea given the current issues with congestion on the powertel link. (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=45)

Schuby

Post by Schuby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:57 pm

If I go over my peak allowance for the month and get shaped, does the offpeak time also slow down to 512kbps?

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Are there any plans to make adsl1 plans shaped too?

danielp

Post by danielp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Sorry but shaping sucks. Lack of shaping was one of the main reasons I choose Exetel. I want to pay for my excess usage, thank you.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:02 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:By adding to the already in place download allowances the 'need' for anyone to go over their peak limit must be significantly lessened.
I certainly understand that the majority of people love to be on capped and shaped plans.
However I thought Exetel always believed in Pay For What You Use, I certainly do.
I've moved to the lowest included peak limit (5GB) and happily pay for the excess data I use (peak fluctuating between 10 - 30GB).
Shaping never appealed to me, and I hope that there will be an option for those who do want to pay for what they use without being shaped.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

They only apply to the newest plans.

All of those plans will get peak upgrades.

We will provide the ability to buy extra peak downloads at the old rate of 50 cents per gb for those users who are concerned about shaping.

jubba

Post by jubba » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:11 pm

James wrote:They only apply to the newest plans.

do you mean that the new changes only apply to the Z-plans not the old NF plans.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:13 pm

jubba wrote:
James wrote:They only apply to the newest plans.

do you mean that the new changes only apply to the Z-plans not the old NF plans.
Just the Z plans/what's on the website today; http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Ravenous wrote: I would prefer to pay $0.50 per GB to maintain full ADSL2 speed. Could there be a 'Data Pack' option for those who like to maintain their full speed post-quota (e.g. $5 per +10GB)?
One of the selling points for Exetel is that there is no shaping and that they do not start gouging for excess downloads.

I am completely happy to pay for excess downloads at a fair rate.

I consider shaping to be so undesirable that I would start looking around for another provider if shaping plans were introduced.

chaase

Post by chaase » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Read the terms and conditions of your contract.
Could you tell me which specific clause as I cant find one that nominates a figure

Thank You
Bruce

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We will be changing some parameters of the ADSL2 plans and the changes will be back dated to April 1st.
2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down
I too would rather see my speed remain unchanged and am happy to pay the excess as I have in the past.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Ravenous wrote:Another positive development. Thank you.

Speaking for myself, I would prefer to pay $0.50 per GB to maintain full ADSL2 speed. Could there be a 'Data Pack' option for those who like to maintain their full speed post-quota (e.g. $5 per +10GB)?
+1

Def. need to allow us to keep fast speeds (at a price) over being speed limited.