ADSL2 Plan Changes

Old, inactive threads
DLeckenby

Re: ADSL2 Plan Changes

Post by DLeckenby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm on a 5Gb limit and currently at 8Gb for this month. So as of tomorrow I will be back to 512Kb which I definitely want to avoid. I don't see that you have given me anyway to avoid this. If I increase my plan it won't apply until next month, but maybe I don't even need to as you say you will increase the limit but haven't said by how much.

Announcing this without even 24hrs warning, and giving us no option to respond is a very shabby way to do business. How about implementing it next month so we have time to take in the proposed limit changes and adjust our plan if necessary??

In the very least, please provide me some option to avoid 512kb for the rest of April!

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:30 pm

malcolm wrote:One of the selling points for Exetel is that there is no shaping and that they do not start gouging for excess downloads.
Hopefully buying excess data will be along the lines of a ListBox in User facilities with minimum purchase of 1 GB, rising by 1 GB increments @ $0.50 per GB increment.

e.g. Excess data purchase options
1 GB = $0.50
2 GB = $1.00
10 GB = $5.00
Last edited by Ravenous on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:30 pm

I am not interested in shaping at 512k. Do we have a choice to pay extra for exceeding our peak allocation?

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Steerpike wrote:Do we have a choice to pay extra for exceeding our peak allocation?
Yes was the answer. Have a look at page two of this thread.

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm not sure about this. I just paid the plan change fee this month, but Exetel is now changing my plan retroactively...

supercheap

Post by supercheap » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:54 pm

"2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down"

I am on the old INC2SLA plan, with shaping of 2 Gb extra of free allowance, and an excess charge of $6/Gb thereafter.
Does the exemption from the excess $6/gb charge from 1 April apply to my INC2SLA plan too?

It would be great if you could be shape me down to 512 kbps, instead of charging me $6/Gb!

Thanks!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:09 pm

thalamic wrote:I'm not sure about this. I just paid the plan change fee this month, but Exetel is now changing my plan retroactively...
Everybody benefits from this change, therefore there is nothing wrong with a retrospective application. The intention is that you can still purchase data blocks to replicate the previously unshaped experience.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

terrox

Post by terrox » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

As long as the shaping includes a limit to concurrent downloads, then I like it. If ishaping DOESN'T prevent a P2P downloader from having 100+ open connections then it wont do much to un-bottleneck a crowded exchange - therefore kinda pointless to us users because the heavy downloader will still be impacting the network badly.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:11 pm

supercheap wrote:Does the exemption from the excess $6/gb charge from 1 April apply to my INC2SLA plan too?
Not by the sound of it.
supercheap wrote:It would be great if you could be shape me down to 512 kbps, instead of charging me $6/Gb!
You can just apply for a new Z/IncTel plan. There is no extension of contract going from INC2DSl to Z/IncTel plans
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Netmage

Post by Netmage » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Can VOIP be port prioritsed out of the shapping limit?

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

James wrote:
jubba wrote:
James wrote:They only apply to the newest plans.

All of those plans will get peak upgrades.
do you mean that the new changes only apply to the Z-plans not the old NF plans.
Just the Z plans/what's on the website today; http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php
I do wish you guys would stop and think about the emails you send out to everyone announcing plan changes. The email sent to me says:
1) All plans will have their peak time download allowance increased.

2) All plans will be changed from having an excess charge if a user exceeds their peak period allowance to shaping to 512 kbps down

Which implies that my plan is being changed but, if I understand from the above correctly, the change only applies to the Z-Plans and not my plan - something I only found out by reading 4 pages of comments. It would save a lot of angst and confusion (and many pages of comments) if you could be clearer in your messages.

BTW, it will suck to be on the Z20 plans which have zero allowance.

andys

Post by andys » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

I never want to be shaped, and I was (and still am) happy to pay $3/gb for excess.

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Netmage wrote:Can VOIP be port prioritsed out of the shapping limit?
Would there be any point to that if shaped to 512k? Normally for voip you are constrained by your upload speed anyway so the difference is hardly anything.

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:27 pm

TerryP wrote:
Netmage wrote:Can VOIP be port prioritsed out of the shapping limit?
Would there be any point to that if shaped to 512k? Normally for voip you are constrained by your upload speed anyway so the difference is hardly anything.
This is a fairly important consideration if you want to use Exetel for your telephone services.

Col

Post by Col » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:29 pm

dsc68 wrote:
James wrote:They only apply to the newest plans.

All of those plans will get peak upgrades.

BTW, it will suck to be on the Z20 plans which have zero allowance.
Wait for the peak upgrades...