Three Months Free ADSL

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Re: Three Months Free ADSL

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:53 am

bodogbodog wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Would six months at half price be better than three months at zero price?
I think the 6 months at half price is better - for Exetel as well as customer - keeps the "love" coming for a longer period of time
Not sure what contract term you are going to put on these new plans but the 6 months option will help people over the length of a contract and hopefully encourage them to stay
Not sure what the impact of the CAPx rebates would be on a zero cost plan - how is that credit applied? - the 50% off option would make it easier for that credit to be applied to the plan
For that amount of free months it would have to be 12 months....equivalent to 25% discount.

Though, now you raise the issue, it could be one month free on a six month contract and three month's free on a twelve month contract....on two months free on a twelve month contract and four months free on a 24 month contract.

You are correct that the capped mobile plan discount couldn't be applied on a no cost ADSL plan except as a carried forward discount.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:25 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Though, now you raise the issue, it could be one month free on a six month contract and three month's free on a twelve month contract....on two months free on a twelve month contract and four months free on a 24 month contract
Suggest you stay away from 24 month contracts - you'll start to look like the enemy with those terms :D

Here's a scenario for you to think about - real world example (always good to use) of a current Heltra Cable customer I'm recomending Exetel to....

He needs ADSL2 (probably needs 200/200 or maybe 100/100), Voice and 3 x CAP35 plans (Maybe he'll go for a mix of CAP19 and CAP35 plans) - I have the model setup for the current options - would be interesting to consider the before/after options of that scenario (hence my earlier question about how you could credit for CAPx plans on a "free" ADSL2 service)

While he won't enjoy moving off cable speeds he's had enough of Telstra and he also uses Exetel in his business and is VERY happy with those services and Exetels customer service

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:43 pm

I think offering free months or a discount for a year etc is the way to handle the "subsidies" from your suppliers. This is an accepted way to give new customers a better deal than current customers. Everyone does it.

Everyone knows what they are getting.

The old way of giving new customers access to cheaper plans that are often not available to current customers causes problems, as you have found. Plus there is the issue of what happens if you give new customers overly cheap plans when the subsidy runs out? The logical assumption is that they get hit by a price rise when out of contract. Again you get unhappy customers.

Just my 2 cents.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Your points are well made.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Our final decision was to offer two months free on the current Optus ADSL plans for new customers who sign up on a twelve month contract before 11 pm on June 30th.

Details will be on the web site and order forms before COB today.

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 pm

As an existing customer, I just received an email offering me 2 months free ADSL2+ and zero transfer cost if I transferred to an Exetel Optus plan.

The annoying thing is that I have already tried to transfer to an Exetel Optus plan but can't because Optus doesn't service my exchange.

thunderz

Post by thunderz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Just received an email from Exetel regarding the transfer from AAPT to Optus, with the claim below:

"By applying for one of the above Optus ADSL2+ plans you will be transferring away from the AAPT infrastructure and onto the Optus infrastructure. It is also mandatory you transfer your telephone line.
However, you will experience no downtime at all."

Is this true?

From what I can see, the ADSL will be down for days during this transfer. Even the telephone line will not be able to accept incoming calls for 2 to 48 hours once it is switched over to Optus.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 pm

thunderz wrote:Is this true?.
Yes.

Dr Tezza

Post by Dr Tezza » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm

dsc68 wrote:As an existing customer, I just received an email offering me 2 months free ADSL2+ and zero transfer cost if I transferred to an Exetel Optus plan.

The annoying thing is that I have already tried to transfer to an Exetel Optus plan but can't because Optus doesn't service my exchange.
I'd love to transfer too - the "OF-200 $49.99 $20 200 GB 200 GB YES # 12 Months" looks great !

But as far as I know the NBAL exchange has no Optus option. Please tell me I'm wrong, so I can sign up (...or else I guess the only way to be sure would be to "sign up" and then be rejected ? Seems a little cruel to get the email then....)

drtezza

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Yes.
Hmm, interesting. I would like to confirm that this latest offer will release those of us that are still under the 12 month AAPT contract. Is this correct?

I see that the ADSL and telephone charges has been juggled from the last offer, though the total cost remains the same for the customer, so I won't cry foul. As a matter of fact, the customer is better off with the offer of 2 month free ADSL.

Personally I prefer the $0.5 per GB of excess download in the previous offer rather than being shaped as my usage is somewhere between 2 plans with a huge gap in the download allowance. With $10 difference between the plans, that would have been a huge headroom 20GB for me...

On the whole, this is an attractive offer as far as I am concerned.

Chris.

thunderz

Post by thunderz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:51 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Yes.
So just to confirm, for those 15 working days (is this still the case?) it supposed to take to transfer from AAPT to Optus, ADSL connection will not be interrupted at all. On the day when the telephone line is switched to Optus, there will be no need to even restart the modem, and the phone line will work uninterrupted for both incoming and outgoing calls? If this is the case, that's great news, and I'll switch to the new plan.

You should really change the application page, make these points clear, and remove the incorrect information such as below:

"+ All times refer to local State or territory time including any current move from 'standard' to 'daylight saving' times. If the plan's included download allowance of 48 gigabytes for the period 12 midnight to 12 noon is exceeded in any calendar month the download rate may be slowed from the optimum speed as outlined in Exetel's acceptable use policy: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php.

"Your telephone service with your current provider will remain active until the cut-over date for your ADSL2 and Telephone bundle which is generally around 15 business days. On the day that your telephone line is cut over to the Optus service, you will lose dial tone for between 15 minutes and an hour after which you will be able to make all telephone calls using the Optus local call and long distance call services. However, callers who call your number for between 2 and 48 hours after the cut over will receive a message saying that your number is temporarily unavailable."

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd love to transfer too - the "OF-200 $49.99 $20 200 GB 200 GB YES # 12 Months" looks great !

But as far as I know the NBAL exchange has no Optus option. Please tell me I'm wrong, so I can sign up (...or else I guess the only way to be sure would be to "sign up" and then be rejected ? Seems a little cruel to get the email then....)
Unfortunately NBAL does not have the supporting infrastructure at the moment :(

soulless

Post by soulless » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:26 pm

thunderz wrote: So just to confirm, for those 15 working days (is this still the case?) it supposed to take to transfer from AAPT to Optus, ADSL connection will not be interrupted at all. On the day when the telephone line is switched to Optus, there will be no need to even restart the modem, and the phone line will work uninterrupted for both incoming and outgoing calls? If this is the case, that's great news, and I'll switch to the new plan.
Seriously no downtime at all?
Will it really be a seamless switch over for both the phone and ADSL connection?
Is there a nominated date where everything gets transferred across?

Also, what happens if the name on the phone line is different from my Exetel ADSL account? How would I proceed with that?

Cheers guys.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:27 am

soulless wrote:
Seriously no downtime at all?
Will it really be a seamless switch over for both the phone and ADSL connection?
Is there a nominated date where everything gets transferred across?

Also, what happens if the name on the phone line is different from my Exetel ADSL account? How would I proceed with that?

Cheers guys.
It would be best to call sales to get those answers.

thunderz

Post by thunderz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:53 pm

soulless wrote:
You can either change the ownership of the phone line, or the ADSL. If you change the ADSL ownership, then there's a cost of $25 from Exetel as I was told. If you are getting the discounts for being a long term customer, you'll lose that after the change as well.

If you are with Telstra, then It is better to change the ownership of the phone line. There are no costs and no new contracts involved, according to their rep.

It took me about 25 minutes on the phone including waiting time (around 2 minutes), the ownership change suppose to happen roughly 1 hour after the call. When the hour passed, I checked via 101, and was greeted with the new activation message, so I presume it has been completed. I was told the ADSL will not be interrupted, and indeed it has been going ok.

I'm going to go ahead with the plan change, and hopefully it is indeed zero downtime as promised.