Ubuntu 7.04 Release- Can We Mirror This?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)

Would you use an Ubuntu Mirror on Exetel?

Yes
87%
No
6%
What's Ubuntu?
6%

Total votes: 31

dpm95

Ubuntu 7.04 Release- Can We Mirror This?

Post by dpm95 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:26 pm

Dear Exetel,
with the release of Ubuntu 7.04 to occur later today I imagine that a lot of people will want to download it at the same time. Often there is no benefit with hosting Ubuntu as it changes so often, but many users will just want to download the CD or DVD with this new release.

If you can host it on your mirror it may save a fair bit of time for many users and costs for exetel!

James D

Post by James D » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 pm

This is being looked at at this moment.

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:14 pm

Since I already maintain my own mirror of the last one or two ubuntu distos, I would much rather point debmirror and ftpmirror at an internal exetel host than elsewhere in oz providing I get roughly equivalent data rates.

Last time I looked the mirror was about 30G.

I could even give exetel my scripts for maintaining the mirror.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Last time I had a peek from the "File Lists" sidebar, the releases were already there - http://mirror.exetel.com.au/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu-releases/

Spanner_Man

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 Release- Can We Mirror This?

Post by Spanner_Man » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:34 am

dpm95 wrote:...the release of Ubuntu 7.04...
Ubuntu 7.04 was released April 2007. There is no upcomming release of 7.04 as it was already released. How Ubuntu structure their version numbers is year.month of release. And not to point out Ubuntu 7.04 isos are mirrored.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:18 am

I don't really use the ISOs, what I want is a mirror of the packages. I maintain my own local mirror on my local LAN, and I use transparent proxy to redirect internal requests for packages to the local mirror. I also use this technique to allow things like netboot over the local network and install/upgrade, thus allowing the install/upgrade to process at LAN speed without having to build new installation media to point to my local mirror by name. This means systems are always build from current packages, and any updates are from the local mirror. The is great for the casual system build, or virtual machine setup for testing something.

Dr_Snapid

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 Release- Can We Mirror This?

Post by Dr_Snapid » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:12 pm

dpm95 wrote:Often there is no benefit with hosting Ubuntu as it changes so often
I think it only changes every 6 months (windows users would say that is often, i'll admit)

As an ubuntu user, and reseller of ubuntu based systems, i would certainly download from the mirror, although i can get 870Kb/s out of the japan ubuntu mirror anyway so i'm not worried about it.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.