Download Mirror

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Suspect

Download Mirror

Post by Suspect » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:21 pm

G'day folks - couldn't find one, so i'm assuming that there isn't one, but could I suggest a exetel hosted download mirror server.

An example would be the 4 or 5 dozen people who are at this very time downloading the Bioshock Demo (1.8gb) just to get a looksey before it's released in a few days time :0) A download mirror could help both us and yourselves for popular legal content.

For your consideration... :idea:

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 am

Hi Suspect

The Exetel Mirror is located here.

If there is a file you would like to have available on the Mirror, there is a form there where you can request it.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dem

a suggestion

Post by Dem » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:33 pm

Wouldnt be intelligent to put some of the latest game demos onto a mirror site (the last months most popular) so your link doesnt get thrashed ? Or is common sense not part of exetels strategy ?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:38 pm

Dem

Nothing wrong with making a suggestion, but gratuitous insults are not called for.

Any future posts including such insults will be deleted.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Spacer

Post by Spacer » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Is exetel still providing a mirror to Gamershell ? Been downloading demo's lately (few good ones have come out) and the only aus mirror that comes up is iinet's, which is usually nearing 100% occupied (as a matter of fact pretty much all the mirrors for gamershells are 90% + these days :P)

I enjoyed the exetel mirror, it was nice and fast :D

James D

Post by James D » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:28 am

One of the reasons that we are not currently hosting the Gamershell files is that they can take up to 1TB of HDD space.

Let me see what i can do to get some gaming files onto the mirror.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm

Would it be worthwhile allowing downloads from the mirror / exetel-server to be counted at say 50% of normal? This would encourage more use of this facility.

I would love a way for my video podcasts to be downloadable from the mirror via RSS (rather than from overseas for everyone who subscribes) - especially the large 200Mb+ files with large viewerships (dl.tv or The Chaser from ABC for example). It would save exetel a fortune in international bandwidth charges, and the savings could be shared with the users. Not only would both exetel AND the user base be ahead in $ terms (by keeping within our bandwidth quotas), but we'd benefit by faster downloads in having a local server.

Of course, without a local RSS feed for these, it wouldn't work. Also, unless they were kept up to date (unlike the bigpond version) they wouldn't get used. Is it possible for exetel to download these regularly released large files via RSS, and to automatically generate an RSS which we could then subscribe to?

Maybe by then pointing our iTunes or other RSS catcher (and if possible even our P2P such as Azureus which allows for RSS) we could all benefit? I'm not sure if this is possible, or at least "easily" possible, but I am posting the suggestion anyway.

James D

Post by James D » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 am

peterh_oz,

Most of these things can done with the required HDD space. I will look into ways to map through the RSS items and see what i am able to do with it.

Dem

Post by Dem » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks James for taking the suggestion on board.
Thanks gidget for proving to me why i will quit this service as soon as my contract is up.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 pm

peterh_oz wrote:Would it be worthwhile allowing downloads from the mirror / exetel-server to be counted at say 50% of normal? This would encourage more use of this facility.

I would love a way for my video podcasts to be downloadable from the mirror via RSS (rather than from overseas for everyone who subscribes) - especially the large 200Mb+ files with large viewerships (dl.tv or The Chaser from ABC for example). It would save exetel a fortune in international bandwidth charges, and the savings could be shared with the users. Not only would both exetel AND the user base be ahead in $ terms (by keeping within our bandwidth quotas), but we'd benefit by faster downloads in having a local server.

Of course, without a local RSS feed for these, it wouldn't work. Also, unless they were kept up to date (unlike the bigpond version) they wouldn't get used. Is it possible for exetel to download these regularly released large files via RSS, and to automatically generate an RSS which we could then subscribe to?

Maybe by then pointing our iTunes or other RSS catcher (and if possible even our P2P such as Azureus which allows for RSS) we could all benefit? I'm not sure if this is possible, or at least "easily" possible, but I am posting the suggestion anyway.
ABC Chasers is generally via PIPE anyway, encouraging PIPE usage is better than duplicating content at several locations on different PIPE peered services.

Mr_LeE

Post by Mr_LeE » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:32 pm

I just requested Ubuntu DVD release 7.10 :D

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:53 pm

I recall one time when I was blocked for spam (a simple anti-virus scan picked up some malware and I was back online within 3 hours). The links in the blocked information page were to 2 free anti-virus / anti-malware downloads in the Exetel mirror but the spam block didn't allow me access to them. I could get to the entire Exetel website, but not the mirror.exetel addresses. Could this have been a misconfiguration of some kind?