SMS via J2ME? :) (Suggestion for development.)

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
MCCMikey

SMS via J2ME? :) (Suggestion for development.)

Post by MCCMikey » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi there :)

WIth SMSes now just 5c it would be great if someone could write a small app for mobiles that sends them using the JAVA client built in to most phones now. It'd need to be small due to the high cost of GPRS, but would be useful :) Not sure if you can use the phone's IMEI or number, etc to auth without passwords, etc.

Cheers, Mike.

tocpcs

Re: SMS via J2ME? :) (Suggestion for development.)

Post by tocpcs » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:24 pm

MCCMikey wrote:Hi there :)

WIth SMSes now just 5c it would be great if someone could write a small app for mobiles that sends them using the JAVA client built in to most phones now. It'd need to be small due to the high cost of GPRS, but would be useful :) Not sure if you can use the phone's IMEI or number, etc to auth without passwords, etc.

Cheers, Mike.
Could always write a quick WML (WAP / GPRS) page to do the SMS task.

That'd be easy enough! Though the page load and data would come off your mobile bill, but I don't think it'd cost too much if it was a lightweight page..

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:46 pm

I'm not sure how it would work thought with the current API thats in place.
From what i have read from the forum infomation its limited to IP address. Now when a user is connected via WAP he/she has no control over what IP address is allocated, and even if you do find out what IP address as been assigned its usually an internal IP address to the mobile network your on, either class a,b or c internal ip addy.

Perhaps an exception is made where you pre-enter your IMIE into the members area so only that phone can access any pre-built wml page.

I'm not exactly sure as i don't know the API exact details or what restrictions exetel have put in place for the current API.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:55 pm

Spanner_Man wrote:I'm not sure how it would work thought with the current API thats in place.
From what i have read from the forum infomation its limited to IP address. Now when a user is connected via WAP he/she has no control over what IP address is allocated, and even if you do find out what IP address as been assigned its usually an internal IP address to the mobile network your on, either class a,b or c internal ip addy.

Perhaps an exception is made where you pre-enter your IMIE into the members area so only that phone can access any pre-built wml page.

I'm not exactly sure as i don't know the API exact details or what restrictions exetel have put in place for the current API.
You can specify no IP address.

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm

The current API can specify with no IP address, so that any IP can use that user/pass.

The API simply uses https requests to send the information.

Implementing this into a J2ME midlet should not be that hard, i myself am attempting to create one.