higher usage plans

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
MR2

Post by MR2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:39 am

becouse it's nice to work to a limit not just seeing how far you can bash your CC each month.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 am

Don't they have 2gbps currently? Perhaps it's a matter of offering services that use that efficiently and profitably. IOW to offer the suggested plans, they would need dedicated bandwidth, which would not be efficient or profitable.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:08 pm

MR2 wrote:tbh, I cannot see how 1tb of data is costing $1,000 when most ISP's have atleast a few plans that offer far better than 1$ per gb... I'd like to site AU1.net as being an example (8m/356 unlim) surely you could do better than 1K...

seeing however as you have no plans to offer this I suppose it's all a mute point, you can see however that there would be considerable demand for something like this.
As has been said by another poster - you can download as much as you like for $3.00 per gb - compared to BigPonds $150.00 per gb.

Any ISP (I've never heard of AU1) that offers $1.00 per gb is not going to survive - the cost to Exetel per gb is around $1.85 (in the best case scenario on ADSL1) and $2.65 (in the best case scenario on on ADSL2).

There is no economy of scale - customer connectivity bandwidth is expensive and is priced linearly.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

MR2

Post by MR2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:10 pm

That's fair enough thankyou for being so honest, I believe the pre-mentioned plans are available only through ADSL1 service...and using the AAPT carrier instead of the most likely higher quality Telstra/Optus/Powertel that you are using....

might I ask, is the 1B or 2B roll out by optus/elders likely to have any effect on the data costs?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:14 pm

MR2 wrote:That's fair enough thankyou for being so honest, I believe the pre-mentioned plans are available only through ADSL1 service...and using the AAPT carrier instead of the most likely higher quality Telstra/Optus/Powertel that you are using....

might I ask, is the 1B or 2B roll out by optus/elders likely to have any effect on the data costs?
Probably not, a lot of the cost is the international bandwidth.

kingy

Post by kingy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 am

James wrote:Probably not, a lot of the cost is the international bandwidth.
Isn't there talk of PIPE networks getting some competitive international links happening? Would this have any impact?