Page 1 of 2

higher usage plans

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:15 pm
by Webster
Guys,
I'm curious if you'd consider selling plans with larger usage in the residential section...something like the offering of 100/100gb for say...$160 for example? 200/200 for 320 etc etc? there are alot of people sharing flats or other dwellings where a little more would be nice without having to activate multiple phone lines...

maybe 350 would be for 1tb of total download...? I'd love to see some discussion on this

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:20 pm
by MR2
I wrote above post. (subscribed)

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:43 pm
by James
What you have mentioned is not possible.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:33 pm
by MR2
yeah I suppose the carriers would have a heart attack, still this sort of thing is likely to become more and more requested in future with the high definition media...

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 pm
by ExetelRocks
I'm curious ... how much would 1TB of data cost?

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:15 pm
by James
ExetelRocks wrote:I'm curious ... how much would 1TB of data cost?
$1,000.00.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:30 pm
by austdata
If I was thinking of getting a plan with a TB of bandwidth a month, I'd have to consider a dedicated link. For $1K a month I should be able to get a permanent 5Mbps link.

I don't know what the set up cost would be, but I doubt it would be cheap. However 5Mbps that I don't have to share with anyone would be very attractive. Who knows, $1K may even be enough for 6Mbps but I usually estimate it at $200 a Mbps.

Even so, 5Mbps times the seconds in a 30 day month is an absolute maximum of 1.62TB or 1.944TB at 6Mbps. And it would be all mine. :twisted: :twisted:

That gets frightening when you think there a 100Mbps links to all the computers at work. Twenty thousand dollars each!! :shock:

Cheers,

Mike

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:41 pm
by James
austdata wrote:If I was thinking of getting a plan with a TB of bandwidth a month, I'd have to consider a dedicated link. For $1K a month I should be able to get a permanent 5Mbps link.

I don't know what the set up cost would be, but I doubt it would be cheap. However 5Mbps that I don't have to share with anyone would be very attractive. Who knows, $1K may even be enough for 6Mbps but I usually estimate it at $200 a Mbps.

Even so, 5Mbps times the seconds in a 30 day month is an absolute maximum of 1.62TB or 1.944TB at 6Mbps. And it would be all mine. :twisted: :twisted:

That gets frightening when you think there a 100Mbps links to all the computers at work. Twenty thousand dollars each!! :shock:

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike,

You can get 6Mbps/6Mbps for $1,000.00 a month with us with 80 gigabytes of data and $2 excess, i haven't seen any cheaper than than.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:08 pm
by CoreyPlover
Hmmm. 25 separate phone lines, 25 x OPT A plans at $45 per month for 40Gb off peak traffic + 500Mb peak each = $1,125 per month (no upfront activation costs) for 1Tb of offpeak bandwidth, 12.5Gb peak traffic and "lightning fast" 25x24mbps = 600Mbps of aggregate speed (Or more realistically, a paltry 200-300Mbps of aggregate speed at realistic speeds).

Some fancy software or a proxy server would be needed to schedule downloads and perform load balancing, to manage the 25 concurrent connections. Probably need multiple modems / multiple NICs, but thats a one-off cost. 25 thin clients controlled by remote desktop maybe? Sweeeeet! Where's the flaw in my logic?

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:34 pm
by austdata
James wrote:Hi Mike,

You can get 6Mbps/6Mbps for $1,000.00 a month with us with 80 gigabytes of data and $2 excess, i haven't seen any cheaper than than.
G'day James,
I was think of a permanent 5Mbps network link. Similar to the network connection mentioned by ForumAdmin here. Where "...current cost for the other 1.6 mbps of $A250.00 per mbps. " but I allowed for a higher price because I don't usually buy in 100's of Mbps.
CoreyPlover wrote:Hmmm. 25 separate phone lines, 25 x OPT A plans at $45 per month for 40Gb off peak traffic + 500Mb peak each = $1,125 per month (no upfront activation costs) for 1Tb of offpeak bandwidth, 12.5Gb peak traffic and "lightning fast" 25x24mbps = 600Mbps of aggregate speed (Or more realistically, a paltry 200-300Mbps of aggregate speed at realistic speeds).

Some fancy software or a proxy server would be needed to schedule downloads and perform load balancing, to manage the 25 concurrent connections. Probably need multiple modems / multiple NICs, but thats a one-off cost. 25 thin clients controlled by remote desktop maybe? Sweeeeet! Where's the flaw in my logic?
Nettcomm have hardware that can do that and properly manage load balancing. Cisco probably have better hardware that could do that. :roll: :roll:

Cheers,

Mike

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:00 am
by thomashouseman
CoreyPlover wrote:Hmmm. 25 separate phone lines, 25 x OPT A plans at $45 per month for 40Gb off peak traffic + 500Mb peak each = $1,125 per month (no upfront activation costs) for 1Tb of offpeak bandwidth, 12.5Gb peak traffic and "lightning fast" 25x24mbps = 600Mbps of aggregate speed (Or more realistically, a paltry 200-300Mbps of aggregate speed at realistic speeds).

Some fancy software or a proxy server would be needed to schedule downloads and perform load balancing, to manage the 25 concurrent connections. Probably need multiple modems / multiple NICs, but thats a one-off cost. 25 thin clients controlled by remote desktop maybe? Sweeeeet! Where's the flaw in my logic?
Exetel, do you have any customers that have multiple line setups like this at the one location?

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:17 am
by James
thomashouseman wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:Hmmm. 25 separate phone lines, 25 x OPT A plans at $45 per month for 40Gb off peak traffic + 500Mb peak each = $1,125 per month (no upfront activation costs) for 1Tb of offpeak bandwidth, 12.5Gb peak traffic and "lightning fast" 25x24mbps = 600Mbps of aggregate speed (Or more realistically, a paltry 200-300Mbps of aggregate speed at realistic speeds).

Some fancy software or a proxy server would be needed to schedule downloads and perform load balancing, to manage the 25 concurrent connections. Probably need multiple modems / multiple NICs, but thats a one-off cost. 25 thin clients controlled by remote desktop maybe? Sweeeeet! Where's the flaw in my logic?
Exetel, do you have any customers that have multiple line setups like this at the one location?
Yes, but they have multiple SHDSL/Ethernet connections terminating on one box.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:23 am
by MR2
tbh, I cannot see how 1tb of data is costing $1,000 when most ISP's have atleast a few plans that offer far better than 1$ per gb... I'd like to site AU1.net as being an example (8m/356 unlim) surely you could do better than 1K...

seeing however as you have no plans to offer this I suppose it's all a mute point, you can see however that there would be considerable demand for something like this.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:28 am
by dogwomble
I'm just trying to work out _why_ higher usage plans are unfeasible. Maybe you guys know something I don't.

I can see why _ridiculously_ high usage plans wouldn't work, as the people that are on them would flood the upstream links. However, maybe going one or two brackets up (as an example, with Optus ADSL, your current maximum is 40/48 ... maybe for an extra few dollars a month, you could offer 40/56 and 40/64, and this extra money coudl contribute to the extra data, and also contribute to the necessary ugprades to infrastructure).

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:34 am
by CoreyPlover
dogwomble wrote:maybe for an extra few dollars a month, you could offer 40/56 and 40/64, and this extra money coudl contribute to the extra data
Exetel have this already. $3 per Gb for excess peak hour downloads. Granted, there is no marginal saving for each additional Gb but why should there be?