Suggestion: Landline to Default to VOIP Calls

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
FlyingCowMan

Suggestion: Landline to Default to VOIP Calls

Post by FlyingCowMan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:48 am

Hi There,

I just received the email about the 'Equipmentless' VoIP, and I think it's a fantastic idea. Well executed. But why not take it one step further?

Provide an option for all landline calls to be made via VOIP automatically.

This would certainly save those of us who will use the service regularly a great deal of hassle.

Obviously this would default to "off" for regular customers, but it would be great to have as an option. A prefix could be available to temporarily disable this feature, for the odd 1800-number.

Cheers,

Sean.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:51 am

Hi,

Why not program your phone to speed dial the number? I believe our developers will today add the the option for people to have their number automatically authenticate when they dial us - it would mean you push your speed dial button then dial your destination:)

FlyingCowMan

Post by FlyingCowMan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:55 am

James wrote:Hi,

Why not program your phone to speed dial the number?
Way ahead of you, but I'd rather not have to go through and program twelve phones, eleven of which have lost the manual, seven don't have any writing left on the "function" keys, five lose their memory when unplugged, and one little beast that is constantly being repaired after being used for spare parts.

But yes, a good idea. I doubt we're a "typical" case...

Cheers,

Sean.

huh?

Re: Suggestion: Landline to Default to VOIP Calls

Post by huh? » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 am

FlyingCowMan wrote:......But why not take it one step further?

Provide an option for all landline calls to be made via VOIP automatically.

Cheers,

Sean.

I like this idea as it would remove another "issue" for the wife (I just want to dial the number I need!).
We already use Engin with an ATA but we have had some call quality issues causing the wife to say terrible things like "This stupid thing isn't working again. I don't care that we save $40-80 a month, disconnect it and go back to Telstra!!!" Placating her rant with a quick unplug and replug of the ATA, sometimes coupled with a reboot of the ADSL modem works, however I am not there during the day and it seems to be too much trouble for her to go upstairs to do this.

If this step were negated then I would look at using Exetel for Voip. Some costs may rise (if it is less than the $9.95 I pay to Engin for access each month then I'm ahead) but no where near Telstra levels.

Thanks for listening...
Where am I?

ForumAdmin

Re: Suggestion: Landline to Default to VOIP Calls

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:34 am

huh? wrote:

I like this idea as it would remove another "issue" for the wife (I just want to dial the number I need!).
We already use Engin with an ATA but we have had some call quality issues causing the wife to say terrible things like "This stupid thing isn't working again. I don't care that we save $40-80 a month, disconnect it and go back to Telstra!!!" Placating her rant with a quick unplug and replug of the ATA, sometimes coupled with a reboot of the ADSL modem works, however I am not there during the day and it seems to be too much trouble for her to go upstairs to do this.

If this step were negated then I would look at using Exetel for Voip. Some costs may rise (if it is less than the $9.95 I pay to Engin for access each month then I'm ahead) but no where near Telstra levels.

Thanks for listening...
We'll look at how this could possibly be done but there's no obvious solution other than implementing a speed dial on the handset and registering the number on the User Facilities.