Please chrge us for >48gb offpeak rather than pool us!

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)

How would you like Exetel to handle the offpeak period?

Once 48gb is exceeded, speeds continue as normal but excess downloads are charged
50%
Once 48gb is exceeded, you are pooled (slow speeds) and then charged (normal speeds)
50%

Total votes: 36

kingy

Please chrge us for >48gb offpeak rather than pool us!

Post by kingy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi there,

I think it would be great for exetel to simply charge us for downloads during offpeak in excess of 48gb.
I wouild much prefer to be charged $3 per extra gb in offfpeak (over 48gb) than have unreliable speeds.
It kinds of interupts things!

E.g.
NORMAL SPEEDS (<48gb)
SLOW SPEEDS (48-72gb)
NORMAL SPEEDS (>72gb) ($3 per GB)

I wish it could just be Normal Speeds all the time in offpeak and then be charged $3 per GB for excess of 48gb. I for one would really appreciate this :)

Or even if we could have a choice as to whether we would like to be pooled, or go straight to be being charged.....

ForumAdmin

Re: Please chrge us for >48gb offpeak rather than pool us

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:53 am

kingy wrote:Hi there,

I think it would be great for exetel to simply charge us for downloads during offpeak in excess of 48gb.
I wouild much prefer to be charged $3 per extra gb in offfpeak (over 48gb) than have unreliable speeds.
It kinds of interupts things!

E.g.
NORMAL SPEEDS (<48gb)
SLOW SPEEDS (48-72gb)
NORMAL SPEEDS (>72gb) ($3 per GB)

I wish it could just be Normal Speeds all the time in offpeak and then be charged $3 per GB for excess of 48gb. I for one would really appreciate this :)

Or even if we could have a choice as to whether we would like to be pooled, or go straight to be being charged.....
What is it you download that you need so much bandwidth?

kingy

Post by kingy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Thx for your reply,

Heavy browsing, streaming video, FTP, VPN, newsgroups, p2p etc
I'm just kindly asking that I have the option to continue in the offpeak period UNINTERRUPTED (and I'm happy to pay for it)... rather than having to be pooled in the middle (and put up with horrible speeds) before I go back to decent speeds.

It was understandable previously to put users in pools, as it was the unmetred period, meaning some users went crazy cause they knew they didn't have to pay.

I'm happy to pay for my excess offpeak downloads... I just don't like drowning in the pool every month before I can finally be resussetated and get decent speeds again.

Hope you can understand this and an opt in system can be established where we are not pooled and are rather charged once we exceed 48gb in (offpeak).
Thx

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:53 pm

An opt-in system would be the best option as it gives the users the ability to decide which system works best for them. Since Exetel have stated that they are happy for people to download unlimited volumes at $3/Gb I would think that pricewise it would be viable for these excess charges to kick in at 48Gb off-peak if the users so nominates.

I think however that 48Gb per month is plenty for most and I am unsure of the difficulties of implementing such a system.

kingy, you actually do have an option available to you under the current system: just schedule your downloads for peak times. Even with the deprioritisation I'm sure you could get, say, 50KB/s sustained speeds? This could provide up to 60Gb extra downloads per month charged at $3/Gb.

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:39 pm

I thought of the slow speed as warning for users, something akin to an amber light.

An opt-in system may be the go for users who need more bandwidth with less interruption. Provided it doesn't cost very much to set up or maintain.

After all, the costs would need to be passed on to us, the customers. 8)

Cheers,

Mike

kingy

Post by kingy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm

austdata wrote:An opt-in system may be the go for users who need more bandwidth with less interruption. Provided it doesn't cost very much to set up or maintain.
I don't think this should be too much effort as Exetel already has the capability to count and bill excess downloads... and already has a similar opt in system for offpeak which puts users in a different bandwidth area. (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Having the pool actually makes things more complicated :)

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 pm

kingy wrote:I don't think this should be too much effort as Exetel already has the capability to count and bill excess downloads... and already has a similar opt in system for offpeak which puts users in a different bandwidth area. (correct me if I'm wrong though).
G'day Kingy,
That's good point. Perhaps it is doable then. Or maybe something along the same lines. So long as we customers accept our responsibility and don't whinge about paying for charges we've agreed to.

Absolutely no posts allowed saying, "After signing up to getting extra peak bandwidth I got charged an extra $30 and no one told me I'd gone 9.1GB over my limit! It's not fair!"

People will though. Some are complaining now, even though the Terms & Conditions are pretty straight forward and intuitive.

Cheers,

Mike

kingy

Post by kingy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:34 pm

austdata wrote:
kingy wrote:I"After signing up to getting extra peak bandwidth I got charged an extra $30 and no one told me I'd gone 9.1GB over my limit! It's not fair!"
Mike
I think it would be very simple to understand.
USERS WOULD CHOOSE FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING.

OPTION 1
Offpeak period = 48GB free downloads and any excess downloads after this are charged!

Surely that's not a difficult concept to understand!
It's the same CONCEPT as the peak period :?

OPTION 2
Offpeak period = 48gb normal speeds plus restricted speeds up to 72gb, then any excess downloads over 72gb are charged.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:31 am

kingy wrote:I think it would be very simple to understand.
USERS WOULD CHOOSE FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING.
I would hope so. But people can be quite "interesting" at times. :wink:
kingy wrote: OPTION 1
Offpeak period = 48GB free downloads and any excess downloads after this are charged!

OPTION 2
Offpeak period = 48gb normal speeds plus restricted speeds up to 72gb, then any excess downloads over 72gb are charged.

That looks pretty clear (as long as the customer remembers which one they chose and much the same as I had in mind too.

Perhaps a reason for picking Option (1) could be added; "Download speed is not reduced".

Cheers,

Mike

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:01 am

If you need alot of data why not sign up for one of our business plans?

kingy

Post by kingy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:01 am

James wrote:If you need alot of data why not sign up for one of our business plans?
Because the residential plans are perfect, bar the pooling....
Just one small element of them needs to be tweaked... which would mean more income for Exetel (as we want to pay you! -Just want speeds to continue as normal!).

Plus -significant usage is required during the night (and cannot be moved) as well as the day (which is unlimited). Which is why it is good to have included usage of 48GB offpeak.

Hope you will consider it.... there seems to be an overall consensus that people would like the option to have 48GB offpeak and then pay for Excess (continueing at normal speeds).

Thanks!

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:12 pm

kingy wrote:
James wrote:If you need alot of data why not sign up for one of our business plans?
Because the residential plans are perfect, bar the pooling....
Just one small element of them needs to be tweaked... which would mean more income for Exetel (as we want to pay you! -Just want speeds to continue as normal!).

Plus -significant usage is required during the night (and cannot be moved) as well as the day (which is unlimited). Which is why it is good to have included usage of 48GB offpeak.

Hope you will consider it.... there seems to be an overall consensus that people would like the option to have 48GB offpeak and then pay for Excess (continueing at normal speeds).

Thanks!
I personally do not see a need to change a system that works well for the 99% of people who do not go over their off peak allowance.

If you require low excess fees you may want to consider our P and BUS plans.

kingy

Post by kingy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:43 pm

James wrote: I personally do not see a need to change a system that works well for the 99% of people who do not go over their off peak allowance.

If you require low excess fees you may want to consider our P and BUS plans.
(1) My exchange is not provisioned with Powertel Equipment
(2) As I have already explained. Your current business plans do not suit me because usage is required throughout the day and night, meaning that the residential plans are perfectly suited to me (EXCEPT FOR THE POOLS IN THE OFFPEAK).

What advantages do you see in ahving a pool?

(A)Well it costs Exetel more (because users dl more before being charged excess)
(B)It is more complicated to explain and can be confusing. Trust me, I've tried explaining it to friends! They all just end up walking away thinking it's too hard and cokplex...
(C)To me personally, it doesn't make sense to be going fast (normal speeds), then to be restricted (because you downloaded too much), then to go fast again (because you download too much X 2)....

The only advantage I can see is that for customers, they are able to download more MB before being charged excess fees(costs Exetel more); however, the price for this is really slow browsing and inabiity to use sites like YouTube or any other streaming media UNTIL you reach 72gb....

When I think about it... It can't be too hard to implement excess usage charges for Exetel customers once they hit 48gb, because the business plans already do exactly that, except the hours are different, and the normal plans start charging excess fees in the peak also.

Heavy users are the ones that care and we are willing to pay excess fees, so please listen...
Last edited by kingy on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:09 pm

Our P and BUS plans do not have off peak usage, they have download limits ranging from 24, to 40, and 80 gigabytes.

kingy

Post by kingy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:18 pm

James wrote:Our P and BUS plans do not have off peak usage, they have download limits ranging from 24, to 40, and 80 gigabytes.
But I require heavy offpeak usage, so i would therefore desire some included offpeak quota.

Could you please provide a link?

Thx