Scrap Off peak downloads

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
CordlezToaster

Scrap Off peak downloads

Post by CordlezToaster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:37 pm

I would like to suggest exetel scrap the off peak downloads and just give users a flat rate download quota.

This might solve some of the slowness issues.

MarcusAureliusMaxima

Post by MarcusAureliusMaxima » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Then everyone will just download during the day which is peak period - doesnt that make the network slower???

ForumAdmin

Re: Scrap Off peak downloads

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:53 pm

CordlezToaster wrote:I would like to suggest exetel scrap the off peak downloads and just give users a flat rate download quota.

This might solve some of the slowness issues.
We disagree.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:11 pm

I think scraping off-peak downloads for a flat download quota is a terrible idea. CordlezToaster, I'm curious to know your logic behind why you think this will solve slowness issues. Sure it may increase midnight to midday speeds but it would significantly impair midday to midnight speeds. Does your suggestion imply that you spend more time online afer midnight and during the mornings? Because I think you will find this is very atypical of the normal Exetel / ADSL user.

The current two-tiered system is great because it gives the user the choice between free (off-peak) and charged ($3/Gb or implicit in monthly access fee) downloads. This means there is an incentive for users to postpone downloads until after midnight and this frees up the bandwidth available for the charge (ala "premium") downloads from midday to midnight.

machine

scraping off-peak downloads

Post by machine » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi,

Don't scrap off peak downloads............a premium has been added by Exetel to control this period of "Off-Peak" downloads

ie. a $3.00 surcharge per Gig after you go above your 72 Gig off peak download.

I don't use anywhere near this limit(kids have left home) but, it's good to know it's there if you need it (kids return home) and it fits your budget. I know mums and dads with kids love the "FREE" off peak download period.

This offer is also why you signed up on Exetel....LOL

PS also could ther be room for a "budget plan"

Plans That Include $25.00 For Monthly Rental Of The Telephone Line

IncPhoneA** $0.00 $55.00 24 gbytes 4 gbytes $3.00

A mum and dad's special 8)

machine

ExetelRocks

Post by ExetelRocks » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Worst ... idea ... ever.

If you want high prices and low "any-time" quotas, churn to Internode :P

machine

Post by machine » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:11 am