Online TV

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
vaneagle

Online TV

Post by vaneagle » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Hello,

I noticed TPG have an TPG IPTV as a trial available...

Have exetel ever considered this as a possibility? ie online TV.

vaneagle

ForumAdmin

Re: Online TV

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:56 pm

vaneagle wrote:Hello,

vaneagle
Yes - we've put quite a bit of work into it and we have someone attending the IPTV symposium in Singapore at the moment.

I doubt that a wide demographic would really want to look at the 'free' channels currently being offered by TPG (which Exetel or any other ISP could offer "tomorrow").

The really popular content providers are, currently, out of Exetel's financial abilities to deliver at a sensible and customer acceptable price.

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:00 pm

Personally I would be looking to the cantenese channels.

And anything sports related! :D

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:47 pm

When/if the time comes that Exetel can deliver its desiered foxtel-like service, how significant would you expect the savings in comparison to cable/satalite to be?

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:27 am

Bundy wrote:When/if the time comes that Exetel can deliver its desiered foxtel-like service, how significant would you expect the savings in comparison to cable/satalite to be?
Good question....

Not sure to be honest. I personally don't think foxtel is worth what you pay for it.

I guess the price charged would need to be competitive as always but I can't see it being more expensive then Foxtel. I would like to think half the price per channel but this all depends on what exetel get charged as well! plus covering costs etc.. :wink:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:35 am

Bundy wrote:When/if the time comes that Exetel can deliver its desiered foxtel-like service, how significant would you expect the savings in comparison to cable/satalite to be?
Well - it would have to have a financial advantage or there'd be no point.

There are a number of new initiatives appearing that provide the same ability as Foxtel to select titles and 'store' them to play at a time that you choose and it appears to me that these services will be financially affordable by mid-2008.

Legally licensing TV networks such as Star is also a lot closer but making that work financially is still a significant challenge.

Delivering the currently available 'free' channels appears to be a pointless exercise to me other than to 'practice' what will be required to deliver real content.

jasper_

Post by jasper_ » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 pm

[quote="ForumAdmin"][quote="vaneagle"]Hello,

vaneagle[/quote]

Yes - we've put quite a bit of work into it and we have someone attending the IPTV symposium in Singapore at the moment.

I doubt that a wide demographic would really want to look at the 'free' channels currently being offered by TPG (which Exetel or any other ISP could offer "tomorrow").

The really popular content providers are, currently, out of Exetel's financial abilities to deliver at a sensible and customer acceptable price.[/quote]

I think it would be interesting to consider IPTV as more than just a competitor of Foxtel. Isn't the advantage of this technology that one can offer the free channels, even if there might not be huge interest in one channel in particular? I would be very interested in a Dutch channel. That channel would probably not be very popular on its own, but if you also offer channels from a few other countries aswell (TV5, DW, ...), the group of people interested in one such a channel might not be so small.

Now I've got now idea how much it would cost to offer a variety of free channels. If by saying that any ISP could offer these tomorrow you also mean at low costs, I hope you would reconsider your opinion that only pay channels are IPTV-worthy.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:09 pm

jasper_ wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Now I've got now idea how much it would cost to offer a variety of free channels. If by saying that any ISP could offer these tomorrow you also mean at low costs, I hope you would reconsider your opinion that only pay channels are IPTV-worthy.
I will be in Singapore later this week to attempt to progress the ability to offer decent streaming TV.

It's a long and very difficult process.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 pm

Can I make a suggestion?

I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have an interest in some of the Chinese/Asian channels. However I probably not one of them, even though I'm interested in IPTV as a concept.

Are you able to investigate a few options to cater for these specific markets (ie. foreign language TV) while providing something alongside that would cater for a computer geek such as myself? Essentoally, run a few specific channels to cater for specific markets with sufficient demand, while have a few that cater for a "mainstream" (for want of a better word) market as well.

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:51 pm

dogwomble wrote:Can I make a suggestion?

I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have an interest in some of the Chinese/Asian channels. However I probably not one of them, even though I'm interested in IPTV as a concept.

Are you able to investigate a few options to cater for these specific markets (ie. foreign language TV) while providing something alongside that would cater for a computer geek such as myself? Essentoally, run a few specific channels to cater for specific markets with sufficient demand, while have a few that cater for a "mainstream" (for want of a better word) market as well.
yes...

I would be interested in the cantenese channels! :)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:59 pm

It's a complex process that we're still making very slow progress with.

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:It's a complex process that we're still making very slow progress with.
that's fine... I understand these these issues take time! :wink:

I am not expecting anything just yet. maybe next month! :lol: :wink:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:21 pm

vaneagle wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:It's a complex process that we're still making very slow progress with.
that's fine... I understand these these issues take time! :wink:

I am not expecting anything just yet. maybe next month! :lol: :wink:
Maybe mid year.

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 am

Howdy,

I only found this website this morning....

http://digitaldishsoftware.com/

Perhaps they would be interested in a business deal of some sort...

different way to look at it! :mrgreen:

vaneagle

Post by vaneagle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi,

Has there been any progress on this?

I see TPG and iiNet have versions of this up and running.

vaneagle