Renewal of IP address changes

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)

The amount of free IP changes should be renewed every year?

Yes this seems like a good idea or is already the way it works?
12%
No, this idea sux, who wants to change their IP anyway
88%

Total votes: 25

Ethan

Renewal of IP address changes

Post by Ethan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if Exetel would consider renewing the amount of free IP address changes we get.

Say for example we currently get 10 free, but is this for the whole time we are with exetel? Or is it renewed every year or something?

I would like to see it renewed every year, does anyone else agree??

ForumAdmin

Re: Renewal of IP address changes

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:42 pm

Ethan wrote:Hi there,

I was wondering if Exetel would consider renewing the amount of free IP address changes we get.

Say for example we currently get 10 free, but is this for the whole time we are with exetel? Or is it renewed every year or something?

It could be done but it isn't seen as necessary.

gong_guy

Re: Renewal of IP address changes

Post by gong_guy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:16 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Ethan wrote:Hi there,

It could be done but it isn't seen as necessary.
I think i would be a good idea IMHO for the following reasons.

1. It will not cost you much if anything. ( I could be wrong)

2. It would value add to your service (It would be the perfect compromise between fixed and variable IP, everyone would be happy)

3. There are many good reasons for people to change their IP regularly, I will mention only one, privacy (Google is storing everything we search for)

4. The free limit of 10 seems to be a number picked because it looks good, not for any practical reason. (I could be wrong again).

5. If you can give us free SMS why not this ? It's cheaper!

6. It's Christmas, Come on, be nice!

(Why not make it 6 per year to stop abuse as a compromise?)

Ethan

Post by Ethan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Yes even if they changed the amount to 8 or 6. I think 5 would be a fraction low.

I think it would be a great idea, I don't think it would be fully utilised either.

What gong_guy said captured my thoughts exactly.

It doesn't have to be immediate, maybe something for the future perhaps?

Edit: Those people who vote against would equal the amount of people who won't use it. So that gauges what percentage you would be catering for. All I am suggesting is reseting the IP changes after a year, not unlimited changes or anything.

TrentG

Post by TrentG » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:50 pm

Ethan wrote:Yes even if they changed the amount to 8 or 6. I think 5 would be a fraction low.

I think it would be a great idea, I don't think it would be fully utilised either.

What gong_guy said captured my thoughts exactly.

It doesn't have to be immediate, maybe something for the future perhaps?

Edit: Those people who vote against would equal the amount of people who won't use it. So that gauges what percentage you would be catering for. All I am suggesting is reseting the IP changes after a year, not unlimited changes or anything.
I voted against and I use a Static IP......I dont see why someone with reasonable competence would need to change their IP so often, other than the fact that they are getting into some wrong doing and want to hide their traces.

You are lucky you are getting them free....some other ISP's charge and you get one, not 10 to choose from at any time.

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:13 pm

The only reasons I can think of for people wanting to change their IP would be because they have sent out spam or they have created a problem which has encouraged others to spam them.

Can anyone think of any other reasons?

In any case, if people want dynamic IP's let them pay extra for it.

Cheers,

Mike

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:32 am

austdata wrote:The only reasons I can think of for people wanting to change their IP would be because they have sent out spam or they have created a problem which has encouraged others to spam them.
There are many other reasons
Sure,

I mentioned just a few earlier.
The point is that it does not cost anything. there are an arbitrary 10 free IP changes then an exorbitant $20 each charge above that.

Some ISPs offer dynamic IP some have fixed IP (which is generally regarded as superior and often costs you more)

Why not offer both? (with safeguards for abuse of course)

As for "let them pay" well why not apply that to free web site and free SMS as well? Few people use them.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:45 pm

gong_guy wrote:
The point is that it does not cost anything. there are an arbitrary 10 free IP changes then an exorbitant $20 each charge above that.

Some ISPs offer dynamic IP some have fixed IP (which is generally regarded as superior and often costs you more)

As for "let them pay" well why not apply that to free web site and free SMS as well? Few people use them.
Despite the general lack of interest we will change the number of IP changes to thirty per year.

$20 isn't an "exhorbitant charge" for IP address changes.

Practically, the only reason a person wants/need to change their IP is when they have been banned for deemed misbehaviour at a site.

This single IP ban often results in a range of Exetel IPs being banned that inconveniences other Exetel users and costs Exetel money and time and inconvenience to resolve.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrentG

Post by TrentG » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:08 pm

gong_guy wrote:
austdata wrote:The only reasons I can think of for people wanting to change their IP would be because they have sent out spam or they have created a problem which has encouraged others to spam them.
There are many other reasons
Sure,

I mentioned just a few earlier.

I didnt see a few....I saw one, and that one made me think you are paranoid.

If you require IP changing on a regular basis, why dont you just switch over to a Dynamic IP system?

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:10 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Despite the general lack of interest we will change the number of IP changes to thirty per year.

$20 isn't an "exhorbitant charge" for IP address changes.

Practically, the onlyreason aperson wants/need to change their IP is when they have been baned for deemed misbehaviour at a site.

This single IP ban often results in a range of Exetel IPs being banned that inconveniences other Exetel users and costs Exetel money and time and inconvenience to resolve.
Thank you very much. 30 is a lot.

Sorry about the exorbitant remark, I was trying to make a point.....

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 pm

I voted no.
Simply put that with the right amount of security in place you have no worries about compromising your system.

On the other hand as its been stated if your changing your IP address as your IP banned, then i agree with ForumAdmin about the cost in both time and labor needed or resolve the banned IP ranges from different services that Exetel clients access. Not to mention my point of view if anyone does that to avoid being IP banned because they are some so and so.

Just remember, the majority of ISP's that supply you a dynamic IP will charge you for a static IP, as a static IP has the concept for "business level services", hence the charge. Eg with static IP you can host servers will little/no impact, if you depend on DynDNS (or something similar service) your restricted to their DNS cache to re-forward the data flow to your new assigned IP from a ISP that supplies a dynamic IP

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:05 am

Spanner_Man wrote: Just remember, the majority of ISP's that supply you a dynamic IP will charge you for a static IP, as a static IP has the concept for "business level services", hence the charge. Eg with static IP you can host servers will little/no impact, if you depend on DynDNS (or something similar service) your restricted to their DNS cache to re-forward the data flow to your new assigned IP from a ISP that supplies a dynamic IP
Thanks for the tech lesson but we know this.

I think the solution found will make everyone happy (except maybe you) and cost Exetel nothing and possibly save them support time.

It will also give them another selling point for the technically savy customer.

Thanks again Exetel

sh0nky

IP change

Post by sh0nky » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:45 am

So we are allowed to change our IP 30 times a year, but we are still charged after the 1st change?..Could someone clarify this. Ive changed mine once and noticed i will be charged $20 if i change it again, is this correct? cheers Scott

CLoSeR

Re: IP change

Post by CLoSeR » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:47 am

sh0nky wrote:So we are allowed to change our IP 30 times a year, but we are still charged after the 1st change?..Could someone clarify this. Ive changed mine once and noticed i will be charged $20 if i change it again, is this correct? cheers Scott
Its currently 20 free changes, then its billable.

It will be changed to 30 free, then billable.

This thread has run its course, and will now be closed.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/