request for support from a real person

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
les.smith

request for support from a real person

Post by les.smith » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:24 am

Hi, we have been with Exetel for a couple of years now and find that the system usually works well apart from support. On 3rd Jan 2008, I received an e.mail from Exetel stating that my current ADSL2 plan was to be withdrawn and that I would have to select a new plan or have it done for me if I hadn't by Jan 31. All OK so far. The problem was, that in the e.mail, 5 optional plans were offered, starting with "RX 1T OPT C" and ending with "RX 5T OPT G". Still OK, until I tried to find these plans on the website. E.mailed Exetel and was sent 2 links that weren't relevant. E.mailed back, No reply. After several hours of frustration, I finally phoned Exetel "SALES" and spoke to Jay on 9/1/08 (extremely helpful). It only took a couple of minutes to determine that the "plans" being offered in the original e.mail had been discontinued. We also have an intermittent phone line, gets crackly during heavy rain and ADSL drops out. This has been reported twice now and so far it has dried out before a technician arrives due to the delays in communicating with Exetel. The point I am trying to make is that personal telephone support for issues such as this would solve such problems with a minimum of frustration on both sides. This is the first time I have posted to a forum, so I hope I am using it appropriately. thanks

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:16 am

The email and forum based helpdesk is a by product of Exetel's attempt to reduced help desk and support costs, helping to keep the costs of internet services down and provide users with download allowances that are in excess of almost all other service providers.

I suspect that the cost savings come from the staffing requirements. With phone support, you generally need enough people to be able to deal with the rare occasions where high volume of support calls come in (the time between calls follows an exponential distribution and so call centers suffer from random clustering of support requests and hence need higher than average staffing to cope). With email, you are able to answer the requests sequentially and this reduces the clustering effect.

It is a trade-off I'm afraid. Many other ISPs concentrate on direct customer support at the expense of value for their services. As this distinguishes Exetel from the crowd, I'm afraid it is unlikely to change.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:17 am

Nice to see your first post.

You can dial 1300 788 141 or 02 9927 1000 and select option 2 for support or option 3 for sales at any time during business hours.

http://www.exetel.com.au/res_contact_support.php