Tasmania - Fibre To The Premises roll out

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
PatrickT

Tasmania - Fibre To The Premises roll out

Post by PatrickT » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Might I suggest that Exetel start serious exploratory talks with Aurora Energy about their fibre to the premises rollout? It currently covers most of metropolitan Hobart and a test network is up and running. They intend to wholesale it midyear to any ISP wanting to buy access, along with a non telstra new fibre link back to Victoria.

Given the tiny size of Exetel's Tassie footprint this could be a great opportunity for Exetel to acquire the large chunk of the Tassie market desperate for something faster than Telstra Wholesale ADSL1 (which in my case is lucky to hit 1500Kbps on an 8Mbps plan).

I'd be happy to volunteer as test victim if Exetel needed one (although you'd want to be better than the appalling trial network running atm - a very badly run and only half hidden resell of Eftel services).

All in all a good opportunity to bypass Telstra and DSL technology completely.

ForumAdmin

Re: Tasmania - Fibre To The Premises roll out

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:40 pm

PatrickT wrote:Might I suggest that Exetel start serious exploratory talks with Aurora Energy about their fibre to the premises rollout? It currently covers most of metropolitan Hobart and a test network is up and running. They intend to wholesale it midyear to any ISP wanting to buy access, along with a non telstra new fibre link back to Victoria.

Given the tiny size of Exetel's Tassie footprint this could be a great opportunity for Exetel to acquire the large chunk of the Tassie market desperate for something faster than Telstra Wholesale ADSL1 (which in my case is lucky to hit 1500Kbps on an 8Mbps plan).

I'd be happy to volunteer as test victim if Exetel needed one (although you'd want to be better than the appalling trial network running atm - a very badly run and only half hidden resell of Eftel services).

All in all a good opportunity to bypass Telstra and DSL technology completely.
Thank you for drawing that to our attention.

Do you have a contact?

PatrickT

Post by PatrickT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Sorry for the slow reply, and sadly I don't have a direct contact.

If you need snail mail contact:

Aurora Energy Pty Ltd
GPO Box 191,
Hobart Tasmania, 7001

or have a look at www.aurora.com.au and see if you can find a suitable contact. The fibre project is an in development one so there's no info about it on their site - you just have to be in the know to get in early.

felix

Post by felix » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey this sounds like a plan i'm interested in. Currently Sandy Bay Hobart, just let me know!!!!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:08 pm

PatrickT wrote:Sorry for the slow reply, and sadly I don't have a direct contact.

If you need snail mail contact:

Aurora Energy Pty Ltd
GPO Box 191,
Hobart Tasmania, 7001

or have a look at www.aurora.com.au and see if you can find a suitable contact. The fibre project is an in development one so there's no info about it on their site - you just have to be in the know to get in early.
Thank you - I had looked at the site but saw no mention or even a sensible contact.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 pm

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:23 am

Thank you.

PatrickT

Post by PatrickT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Those releases are about the sale of TasTel, their loss making Telco (which is currently offering very over priced and underfeatured services over the fibre network. I was an early trial customer and one of teh first to terminate my connection due to poor performance and more problems than you could possibly imagine).

They still say very little about the actual Fibre network that they have now almost finished rolling out, or about their plans to wholesale access on it, but it was reported in the Tasmania media and various telecommunications rags late last year that they were planning on wholesaling access to any ISP from mid-year and ditto the Bass Straight link.

I will see if I can find out who you need to contact.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:14 pm

PatrickT wrote:Those releases are about the sale of TasTel, their loss making Telco (which is currently offering very over priced and underfeatured services over the fibre network. I was an early trial customer and one of teh first to terminate my connection due to poor performance and more problems than you could possibly imagine).

They still say very little about the actual Fibre network that they have now almost finished rolling out, or about their plans to wholesale access on it, but it was reported in the Tasmania media and various telecommunications rags late last year that they were planning on wholesaling access to any ISP from mid-year and ditto the Bass Straight link.

I will see if I can find out who you need to contact.
That would be very helpful.