Speedtest mini - For troubleshooting help

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Mort

Speedtest mini - For troubleshooting help

Post by Mort » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Greetings, (this is not a support request or complaint!)

I've just been churned to Naked ADSL2+, and the first few days speed was brilliant, but it's been all over the place in the last week. There have been lots of issues relating to the rain (Sydney) so I'm leaving it for a another week or so to see if it improves.

However, I have been using speedtest.net at different times of the day to determine if there is a pattern. Sometimes it works really well, other times my upload speed is faster than my download speed!?!?!

I found that Speedtest has a "Speedtest mini" app, and I was wondering if Exetel would be interesting in hosting it on their servers for Exetel users to test with. It might help to remove the questions about if the issue is our connection to Exetel, or just the connection out on the larger web network. If we get a poor speed to Exetel, then we can possibly assume it's an issue with our local connection.

It doesn't need any setup, just copy onto the server
http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php

Scott.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

ForumAdmin

Re: Speedtest mini - For troubleshooting help

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Mort wrote:Greetings, (this is not a support request or complaint!)

I've just been churned to Naked ADSL2+, and the first few days speed was brilliant, but it's been all over the place in the last week. There have been lots of issues relating to the rain (Sydney) so I'm leaving it for a another week or so to see if it improves.

However, I have been using speedtest.net at different times of the day to determine if there is a pattern. Sometimes it works really well, other times my upload speed is faster than my download speed!?!?!

I found that Speedtest has a "Speedtest mini" app, and I was wondering if Exetel would be interesting in hosting it on their servers for Exetel users to test with. It might help to remove the questions about if the issue is our connection to Exetel, or just the connection out on the larger web network. If we get a poor speed to Exetel, then we can possibly assume it's an issue with our local connection.

It doesn't need any setup, just copy onto the server
http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php

Scott.
Good suggestion.

We are in the process of adding a new function set to the User Faciliteis that will include a series of 'tools' to better assist a customer diagnose and fix any issue (except line failure).

We'll add this to the list.