Perth Routing...

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
carbon13

Perth Routing...

Post by carbon13 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi guys,
I did ask this many months ago, but wonder if anything has changed over the months:

Is there any plan in the near future to have a Perth router / POP so our local Perth traffic doesn't have to go across to the east and back again? The latency is starting to become very noticable, particularly when using VOIP during the evening.

I'm on an ADSL2+ plan with Optus infrastructure... so if I change plans, say to a Naked DSL plan, will this change the routing?

Cheers,
Andrew

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Perth Routing...

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:00 pm

carbon13 wrote:Hi guys,
I did ask this many months ago, but wonder if anything has changed over the months:

Is there any plan in the near future to have a Perth router / POP so our local Perth traffic doesn't have to go across to the east and back again? The latency is starting to become very noticable, particularly when using VOIP during the evening.

I'm on an ADSL2+ plan with Optus infrastructure... so if I change plans, say to a Naked DSL plan, will this change the routing?

Cheers,
Andrew
Exetel plans to activate a Perth PoP later this year.

Whether that can include terminating ADSL2 WA users in Perth is not yet known.

Spree

Post by Spree » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
carbon13 wrote:Hi guys,

Cheers,
Andrew
Whether that can include terminating ADSL2 WA users in Perth is not yet known.
Any ideas yet

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:29 am

The direct IP feed has been ordered for Perth and then a cross connect for ADSL2 WA users will be in place as soon as the IP connection has been installed. It should be in place before the end of November.

austdata

Post by austdata » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Will the Perth POP have a direct link to the Melbourne POP or will it go via the Sydney one?

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Aardvark56

Post by Aardvark56 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Will the Perth POP also route HSPA Users?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 am

austdata wrote:Will the Perth POP have a direct link to the Melbourne POP or will it go via the Sydney one?

Cheers,

Mike
The Perth PoP now has direct IP feed (via Optus) as well as the WAIX connection as well as the direct link to the Sydney gateways.

There is no direct link to the Exetel Melbourne PoP.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 am

Aardvark56 wrote:Will the Perth POP also route HSPA Users?
No. Exetel has ingress/egress points to the Optus HSPA network in Melbourne and Sydney only at this time.

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:32 am

ForumAdmin wrote: The Perth PoP now has direct IP feed (via Optus) as well as the WAIX connection as well as the direct link to the Sydney gateways.

There is no direct link to the Exetel Melbourne PoP.
G'day FA,
Thanks for the update. I suppose I was being a bit cheeky asking for a Melb, Adel, Perth link. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

toast

Post by toast » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:27 pm

carbon13 wrote:The latency is starting to become very noticable, particularly when using VOIP during the evening.
I'm quite nieve about how Exetel's VOIP works. My understand would be regardless if your POP was in Sydney or Perth, the VOIP data still needs to go to the Exetel's VOIP server in Sydney right?

I'm in Perth but haven't noticed any latency with VOIP so maybe I'm completely wrong!

James D

Post by James D » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:35 pm

toast wrote:
carbon13 wrote:The latency is starting to become very noticable, particularly when using VOIP during the evening.
I'm quite nieve about how Exetel's VOIP works. My understand would be regardless if your POP was in Sydney or Perth, the VOIP data still needs to go to the Exetel's VOIP server in Sydney right?

I'm in Perth but haven't noticed any latency with VOIP so maybe I'm completely wrong!
You are correct the VoIP servers are located in Sydney.

As the WA user base grows that may change but for VoIP and all international traffic and Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne based servers (which between them account for over 98% of all WA initiated traffic) it makes absolutely no difference.

aungsan

Post by aungsan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi I'm new to Extel DSL2+ and basically joined (from a list of others) for the cheaper line rental and WAIX peering.
I have now been made aware that the carrier I'm using goes straight to Sydney therefor I am unable to connect to WAIX.

Having read this thread, can I expect to be connected to a Perth pop any time soon? Or is it that since I'm connected to Sydney that's where I'll stay?

It is very frustrating to find out these sorts of things after you sign up but my bad I should not have assumed that waix peering means what it says.

Arthur

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:41 pm

aungsan wrote:Hi I'm new to Extel DSL2+ and basically joined (from a list of others) for the cheaper line rental and WAIX peering.
I have now been made aware that the carrier I'm using goes straight to Sydney therefor I am unable to connect to WAIX.

Having read this thread, can I expect to be connected to a Perth pop any time soon? Or is it that since I'm connected to Sydney that's where I'll stay?

It is very frustrating to find out these sorts of things after you sign up but my bad I should not have assumed that waix peering means what it says.

Arthur
Where does it say that ADSL2 is connected to a Perth PoP (and therefore to WAIX)?

....and, of course, you can be connected to any IP you select.

aungsan

Post by aungsan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:53 pm

Where does it say that ADSL2 is connected to a Perth PoP (and therefore to WAIX)?

When deciding on which ISP to choose I checked out 'whingepool' and in the ISP's listing it stated that Exetel peered with WAIX and PIPE.
So when I saw WAIX I assumed I would be connected to a pop in Perth. As I said my bad.

If my current pop is Sydney am I able to change this to Perth? What will the cost be?

May be a dumb question but how do I connect 'to any IP I select'? I'm not literate in these things... :-(

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:21 pm

aungsan wrote:

1) When deciding on which ISP to choose I checked out 'whingepool' and in the ISP's listing it stated that Exetel peered with WAIX and PIPE.
So when I saw WAIX I assumed I would be connected to a pop in Perth. As I said my bad.

2) If my current pop is Sydney am I able to change this to Perth? What will the cost be?

3) May be a dumb question but how do I connect 'to any IP I select'? I'm not literate in these things... :-(
1) Exetel has nothing to do with Whirlpool and any "information" there is not given or sanctioned by Exetel. It is very unwise to use non-supplier specific sources to obtain information about a product/service you are thinking of buying.

2) You can't at the moment. Exetel terminate ADSL1 circuits at our Perth PoP but Optus and Powertel ADSL2 services are switched through Sydney - as I said in my last post - 97% of all traffic is not seeking another WA location.

3) Sometime later this year it's likely that WA Optus ADSL2 will be connected to the Perth PoP as volumes of users justify that cost.