Perth Routing...

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Perth Routing...

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:54 pm

repeatedlove wrote:So what can I do now? Follow up with friend, iiNet, xetel.

Could a forum admin elaborate please.
Nothing else to be done.

Your friends trace tells you the route and the elapsed time.

What is it you don't understand other than the trace you post contradicts your initial statement?

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:10 am

NO that's fine I was just confirming if anything could be done based on the trace route. My other comment was in regards to the ping.

Thanks for your help I will just wait for the Optus link to be installed then and hope for better results.

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel expect to install Optus ADSL direct connects to the Perth PoP before Christmas.
With Christmas about 3 weeks away I was just wondering if the above comment was still likely to occur.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:54 am

repeatedlove wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel expect to install Optus ADSL direct connects to the Perth PoP before Christmas.
With Christmas about 3 weeks away I was just wondering if the above comment was still likely to occur.
As advised in the last news letter it was done in November.

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Thats good news. I wasnt advised and have only just signed up for future newsletters. Is it possible to view Novembers newsletter?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:04 am

They are a bit lengthy to quote in full - here are the relevant bits--
November 2009:
The additional connectivity to connect ADSL2 users to connect directly in SA, WA and the ACT will be completed by mid November after encountering unexpected delays. Exetel is continuing with the full decentralization of its Australia network by adding hardware to each PoP to increase redundancy of all services as well as adding the additional data paths.
December 2009:
The additional connectivity to connect ADSL2 users to connect directly in SA, WA and the ACT was completed in late November after finally overcoming the unexpected delays and is now functioning well – reducing some transit times for servers located in the same State.

Geff

Post by Geff » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Will AAPT connected services be changed seeing as you are migrating Non Telstra contract customers to AAPT

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Geff wrote:Will AAPT connected services be changed seeing as you are migrating Non Telstra contract customers to AAPT
I'm not sure what a "non Telstra Contract customer is".

Exetel's 'contract' with any customer specifically states what Exetel will provide in terms of services and how these may be varied over time.

We specifically don't make any commitment as to which carrier's network will be used nor how traffic may be routed.

Over time there will be changes to carriers used and the topology of the network and we do not make any undertakings as to what these may or will be - our objectives are to provide the best services possible at any point in time for the parts of the network that are under our direct control.

When we originally offered services to WA users some five years ago we had no PoP in Perth and we only offered ADSL1 services using one carrier's network.

Things are very different today and will be different again in the future.

Geff

Post by Geff » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Sorry My Bad

You were migrating Non Contract Customers that were connected to the Telstra network and their were AAPT ports available onto the AAPT network thus bypassing your Perth POP and connecting to the Sydney POP.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Geff wrote:Sorry My Bad

You were migrating Non Contract Customers that were connected to the Telstra network and their were AAPT ports available onto the AAPT network thus bypassing your Perth POP and connecting to the Sydney POP.
As ADSL2 is faster than ADSL1 we routinely move ADSL1 customers to AAPT ports where/when they are available without changing the customers plan price.

What an individual customer then chooses to do is up to them - they can transfer to another ADSL2 plan on AAPT ports or churn to another SSS ADSL2 provider which offers the fast transfer - which is pretty much everyone except Telstra.

Geff

Post by Geff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:03 am

My churn is happening tomorrow to 8mbit
How can I choose not to be migrated to AAPT network when it happens. I would rather stay connected to a local POP than an NSW one

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 am

Geff wrote:My churn is happening tomorrow to 8mbit
How can I choose not to be migrated to AAPT network when it happens. I would rather stay connected to a local POP than an NSW one
You can see if you can cancel your churn by contacting provisioning.

Geff

Post by Geff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:13 pm

Yet again you fail to see my point. I am connected now to the Perth POP on 8mbit. Thats what I want. How do I stay like that. I dont want to be migrated to AAPT ADSL2 when ports are available.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Geff wrote:Yet again you fail to see my point. I am connected now to the Perth POP on 8mbit. Thats what I want. How do I stay like that. I dont want to be migrated to AAPT ADSL2 when ports are available.
Not sure whether you can specifically request this. To be safe, you might want to base your churn decision on either:
A. Churn, and risk being migrated to a NSW Pop some time in the future as part of some automatic migration / clean up
B. Cancel the churn and find another provider (though it might be hard to find out from them whether they use interstate POPs or not)

Basically, you are purchasing a connection to the internet; how the routing is managed exactly is determined by Exetel.

I remember seeing a thread a while back which highlighted a number of people unhappy with being automatically migrated from ADSL1 to AAPT ADSL2 infrastructure. In that thread, the decision was never reversed; the end users were given the choice of the AAPT ADSL2+ connection, or a waiver of their cancellation fee.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au