Perth Routing...

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
aungsan

Re: Perth Routing...

Post by aungsan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:35 pm

1) Exetel has nothing to do with Whirlpool and any "information" there is not given or sanctioned by Exetel. It is very unwise to use non-supplier specific sources to obtain information about a product/service you are thinking of buying.

2) You can't at the moment. Exetel terminate ADSL1 circuits at our Perth PoP but Optus and Powertel ADSL2 services are switched through Sydney - as I said in my last post - 97% of all traffic is not seeking another WA location.

3) Sometime later this year it's likely that WA Optus ADSL2 will be connected to the Perth PoP as volumes of users justify that cost.

Thank you.

kbro

Post by kbro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
aungsan wrote:
Where does it say that ADSL2 is connected to a Perth PoP (and therefore to WAIX)?

....and, of course, you can be connected to any IP you select.
1) When deciding on which ISP to choose I checked out 'whingepool' and in the ISP's listing it stated that Exetel peered with WAIX and PIPE.
So when I saw WAIX I assumed I would be connected to a pop in Perth. As I said my bad.

2) If my current pop is Sydney am I able to change this to Perth? What will the cost be?

3) May be a dumb question but how do I connect 'to any IP I select'? I'm not literate in these things... :-(
1) Exetel has nothing to do with Whirlpool and any "information" there is not given or sanctioned by Exetel. It is very unwise to use non-supplier specific sources to obtain information about a product/service you are thinking of buying.

2) You can't at the moment. Exetel terminate ADSL1 circuits at our Perth PoP but Optus and Powertel ADSL2 services are switched through Sydney - as I said in my last post - 97% of all traffic is not seeking another WA location.

3) Sometime later this year it's likely that WA Optus ADSL2 will be connected to the Perth PoP as volumes of users justify that cost.

does this mean sometime in 2009 Exetel will be able to connect to waix servers in Perth? At the moment i am unable to connect to a waix only site and it's very annoying, i should have made sure that exetel supports waix rather than just believing everything on whirlpool, annoying nonetheless. Any idea when in 2009, i may consider changing ISP's because of the fact that Exetel doesn't support Waix in Perth.
Thanks

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:33 pm

kbro wrote:

does this mean sometime in 2009 Exetel will be able to connect to waix servers in Perth? At the moment i am unable to connect to a waix only site and it's very annoying, i should have made sure that exetel supports waix rather than just believing everything on whirlpool, annoying nonetheless. Any idea when in 2009, i may consider changing ISP's because of the fact that Exetel doesn't support Waix in Perth.
Thanks
Yes.

Traislia

Post by Traislia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 am

aungsan

Post by aungsan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:32 pm

From last months newsletter I was heartened to read that WA folk may be getting a Perth pop/server happening in June. This months newsletter comes across as we still have a long wait.
Is/are there problems with carriers or other things that have cropped up?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:06 pm

aungsan wrote:From last months newsletter I was heartened to read that WA folk may be getting a Perth pop/server happening in June. This months newsletter comes across as we still have a long wait.
Is/are there problems with carriers or other things that have cropped up?
The cross connect from Optus to the Exetel Perth PoP has been ordered to connect Exetel ADSL2 Optus users directly - ADSL1 users have been directly connected for over a year.

aungsan

Post by aungsan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:51 pm

The cross connect from Optus to the Exetel Perth PoP has been ordered to connect Exetel ADSL2 Optus users directly - ADSL1 users have been directly connected for over a year.
Thank you - :)

Rookie

Post by Rookie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:17 pm

aungsan wrote:
I was wondering if the Perth PoP is completed? The June/July newsletters says in the month of July, but I believe it's not done as I'm still having latency issues here in WA. I'm with the ADSL2 with phone bundle.

Also just a little off topic, I know I get high pings connecting to my mates in WA with iinet/westnet, but I also get these lag spikes in warcraft3 where the game pauses for a few seconds then continues. It is extremely frustrating and I don't seen to get this problem connecting to people in the eastern states. Is it related to the PoP? I thought it'll just be higher pings but there's lag spikes :(

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Rookie wrote: I was wondering if the Perth PoP is completed? The June/July newsletters says in the month of July, but I believe it's not done as I'm still having latency issues here in WA. I'm with the ADSL2 with phone bundle.

Also just a little off topic, I know I get high pings connecting to my mates in WA with iinet/westnet, but I also get these lag spikes in warcraft3 where the game pauses for a few seconds then continues. It is extremely frustrating and I don't seen to get this problem connecting to people in the eastern states. Is it related to the PoP? I thought it'll just be higher pings but there's lag spikes :(
You are currently connected directly to a Sydney LNS, so your ping time back to Perth is going to reflect that distance.

I don't have a firm date for the direct connection of ADSL2 to the Perth LNS, it will most likely be 6-8 weeks from now, unless there is some other issue with the fibre connection to our POP.

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi,

I tried getting help on Whirlpool but faced some setbacks so thuoght I would register here for more informative advice. I was with Internode and now with iiNet. I have moved house and due to having to pay setup again am probably going to go with Exetel. My main issue I had before with Internode was latency while playing with friends in Perth on Xbox Live. This was explained to me as due to the route going to Adelaide and not directly back to Perth. It is great to here that Exetel is putting in a POP in Perth however I have a few questions in this regard.

I am considering going on the following plans:
NF/DSL2
INC2DSLB
NAK2B
PTLB

I have been informed that all plans which have line rental through Exetel are through Optus whereas the PTL plans are through Powertel network, a more superior service. My questions are as follows:

1) Will having the Perth POP put in improve latency for Optus and Powertel networks?
2) Is there any fees associated with initially going on NAK2B or INC2DSLB and then swapping to PTLB within 6 or 12 months?
3) Someone on Whirlpool mentioned to expect some slowdown of download speeds on Exetel lines during some periods. Is this true and an issue on Optus and Powertel?
4) Any update on the Perth POP?

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Anyone

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:30 pm

repeatedlove wrote:Hi,

I tried getting help on Whirlpool but faced some setbacks so thuoght I would register here for more informative advice. I was with Internode and now with iiNet. I have moved house and due to having to pay setup again am probably going to go with Exetel. My main issue I had before with Internode was latency while playing with friends in Perth on Xbox Live. This was explained to me as due to the route going to Adelaide and not directly back to Perth. It is great to here that Exetel is putting in a POP in Perth however I have a few questions in this regard.

I am considering going on the following plans:
NF/DSL2
INC2DSLB
NAK2B
PTLB

I have been informed that all plans which have line rental through Exetel are through Optus whereas the PTL plans are through Powertel network, a more superior service. My questions are as follows:

1) Will having the Perth POP put in improve latency for Optus and Powertel networks?
2) Is there any fees associated with initially going on NAK2B or INC2DSLB and then swapping to PTLB within 6 or 12 months?
3) Someone on Whirlpool mentioned to expect some slowdown of download speeds on Exetel lines during some periods. Is this true and an issue on Optus and Powertel?
4) Any update on the Perth POP?

Hi,

We have had a Perth PoP for a while, but to my knowledge we only termiante ADSL1 circuits there, ADSL2+ circuits are routed back to Sydney.

James

Rookie

Post by Rookie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:49 am

I also want to know if there are any updates on Perth POP.
This is pulled out from the July & August Newsletters:
"PoPs In Qld, Vic, WA, SA, NT and the ACT

We have continued to add additional IP back haul to each of these
PoPs to cater for the growth planned for each State and territory over
the coming months and the dates for adding direct connectivity of
ADSL2 users in WA, SA and the ACT are due to be completed later this
month."

Is it much longer now for Perth?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am

1) Optus ADSL2 cross connect has been ordered and we are awaiting confirmation of an activation date. In the meantime Optus ADSL2 customers are connected to Exetel in Sydney via the Optus national network.

2) There are currently no plans to install an AAPT/Powertel cross connect for PTL plans PTL customers are connected to the Exetel Sydney PoP via AAPT's network.

3) The Perth PoP currently connects ADSL1 customers only which then has direct egress to WAIX, Optus IP and transit to Sydney via Exetel leased fibre.

All of this is shown on the network diagram in the User Facilities.

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 pm

I was unaware of this information in user facilities but will further investigate.

But this new POP which is coming soon will affect Optus adsl2 customers and give them better ping? Currently Optus adsl2 and PTL are going trace route to Sydney right?