What replaces "Fair Play"

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
kenr

What replaces "Fair Play"

Post by kenr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:23 pm

I've heard that the Fair Play facility is to be discontinued from 31st March. I for one am not interested in p2p, and would be quite happy to have a much smaller download allowance midnight to noon, so long as performance was the same as noon to midnight.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:38 pm

Fair play is being discontinued because the P2P caching system has negated the effects of the Fair play pool (much the P2P requests which used to flood Exetel's network are now mitigated by the caching system meaning that gaming pings and browsing are largely unaffected by P2P traffic).

The current issues regarding off-peak browsing speeds are assumed to be a result of infrastructure issues outside of Exetel's control and not a direct result of the off-peak download allowance. Regardless of the specific cause of the issue, I do not think there are any "priority" or "premium" residential plans which would cater to your specific request.

kenr

Post by kenr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Do you think that a saturated link for customers connected through Optus ADSL2 might be something to address? A flat-topped graph clearly demonstrates insufficient bandwidth provisioning.

See https://www.exetel.com.au/images/optusadsl2_day.php

and

https://www.exetel.com.au/images/optusadsl2_week.php

Happy to hear a sensible explanation but I don't think it's outside Exetel's control.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:05 pm

The flat-topped graph cannot be interpretted in isolation. http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... =30#203003 states that:
ForumAdmin wrote:There is the auto sensing balancing software that detects when any single link is approaching 'saturation' and when that happens it begins to 'off load' customers from that link to another link.

So, comments like "the Optus link is flat lining" are meaningless (there are 5 Optus links for different purposes) and, quite often people are referring to a link that actually is irrelevant to their particular service.

kenr

Post by kenr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:31 pm

So is there an alternative path from my Optus ADSL2+ service to your core network? Your Network Status page states that this link is 550Mbps and the graphs show it's saturated. The thread you refer to is about internet bandwidth not the Optus => Exetel link so irrelevant.
Last edited by kenr on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 pm

kenr wrote:The thread you refer to is about internet bandwidth not the Optus => Exetel link.
You are correct, my mistake.

One of the problems with bandwidth management however is that it is too cost ineffective to aim to provision for extreme peaks. Just have a look at the monthly graphs to gain a feeling for the extreme fluctuations in user demands between peak and off-peak bandwidth.

I also know that Exetel are continually provisioning more bandwidth as needs arise, so I will leave it to them to comment further regarding your issue of Optus ADSL2+ bandwidth.

kenr

Post by kenr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 pm

If you take a look at the graphs it isn't an "extreme peak". Over time this particular link has been consistently under-provisioned. The only explanations I can think of are either crap capacity management or penny-pinching leading to me not being delivered what I pay for. Pretty ordinary service whichever way you look at it. Still happy to hear some kind of plausible explanation.

Bandwidth management and traffic prioritisation are both pretty easy, even at a carrier scale. Various manufacturers offer devices that can do this - Cisco, Packeteer, Checkpoint, Juniper, and Sonicwall to name a few.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:11 pm

kenr wrote:Over time this particular link has been consistently under-provisioned.
No it hasn't.
kenr wrote:Bandwidth management and traffic prioritisation are both pretty easy, even at a carrier scale. Various manufacturers offer devices that can do this
Exetel go above and beyond any of the devices you mention. They originally managed bandwidth by means of a Allot NetEnforcer that ensured P2P traffic only "hogged" at most 50% of their bandwidth. They have since moved beyond this artificial limiting of traffic and now cache P2P traffic. My understanding is that they are one of the few (if not the only) ISPs to do this. The additional bandwidth created / mitigated by the caching system has meant they can relax their bandwidth management policies without any congestion arising in their network.

As with most ISPs there is always a continuing "battle" between users demanding more bandwidth (even on a per capita basis) and the cost of providing such bandwidth. Exetel are continually provisioning bandwidth on an as needed basis and so I am sure that if you have noticed the flat-topped graphs, they have noticed them as well and will act on it accordingly
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:09 am

I have chosen to remove many of the posts here as they seemed to be veering off the original topic.

kenr, I have referred the matter to someone else and hopefully an official Exetel representative can respond directly to your queries tomorrow morning.
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin

Re: What replaces "Fair Play"

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:47 pm

kenr wrote:I've heard that the Fair Play facility is to be discontinued from 31st March. I for one am not interested in p2p, and would be quite happy to have a much smaller download allowance midnight to noon, so long as performance was the same as noon to midnight.
There is nothing to replace it.

There is now in place precedence for all HTTP traffic over any P2P traffic which should prevent P2P affecting other traffic as it has on occasions in the past.

kenr

Post by kenr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:09 am

As far as I understand it the traffic prioritisation happens in your network core and is directed at aggregate internet bandwidth. so if that's correct, would have little or no no effect on the link between Optus ADSL2 customers and your core network.

Please have a look at the graphs mentioned earlier in this thread, and tell me whether you think that the link they refer to is saturated or not.

I definitely experience a severe performance degradation as soon as midnight ticks over. Tonight it took 45 minutes to send an 800KB email (though that could of course be due to some other issue in your network).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:35 am

kenr wrote:As far as I understand it the traffic prioritisation happens in your network core and is directed at aggregate internet bandwidth. so if that's correct, would have little or no no effect
Your understanding isn't correct.

There is no congestion.

kenr

Post by kenr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:04 pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification ForumAdmin, such as it is.

Please confirm that your assurance that "there is no congestion" applies to the link between Optus ADSL2 customers and Exetel's core network.

casio7131

Post by casio7131 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:51 am

i'm guessing that there's no congestion on the exetel-controlled parts of the network.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:09 am

There's no real incentive for any one in Exetel to run the network into the ground.

"ForumAdmin" has recently responded to a thread mentioning he has an "INCPHONE" plan, which is ADSL2+ via Optus. Why would he let the network be run into the ground if his own internet also depends on the quality of the network?

Further, they have customers to keep by ensuring the network is provisioned adequately, letting it run into the ground and forcing customers to endure congestion would be counter to the growth strategy.