Suggestion - Email when approaching quota

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Yabbie

Suggestion - Email when approaching quota

Post by Yabbie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 am

Hello,

As I was approaching the 48GB off peak quota of my plan, I started getting emails from Exetel warning me. That's great, and I was just wondering if we could do the same sort of thing for Peak usage?

Cheers,
Yabbie

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:47 am

It's the users job to monitor usage.

The email for 48GB was implemented to ensure those who weren't aware of the charging after 48GB were aware.

It's due to be phased out in April from what I read.

Login to user facilities, see how much it says you have remaining for peak time, don't download more than that. Or install usage logging software on computers, or get a router that does log usage - I only know of Tomato on a Linksys router.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am

Fair enough about the email.

What would be really useful is if usage data was updated more frequently, ideally each hour.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:51 am

Yabbie wrote:What would be really useful is if usage data was updated more frequently, ideally each hour.
This has also been discussed previously in this forum. The reason it is only updated twice daily is because it is too resource intensive to calculate it more frequently.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:53 am

And regular updates to usage has popped up as a question on here a few times.

The official line has been from previous reading that it takes a lot of process time to update the usage for customers as it is, and updating more frequently would require more process power - in some roundabout way.

My own guess is it wouldn't take more, because it's the same data, and process execution, just spread out over the entire period, rather than in one hit.

None the less, the question when previously asked has been responded to with it takes a lot of CPU usage to run the script, so hourly is not an option.