Suggestion - Shaping on Network Graphs

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
sonicBlue

Suggestion - Shaping on Network Graphs

Post by sonicBlue » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:35 am

Hello

I was just wondering if Exetel might consider showing on the network graphs the bandwidth cap that is actually being enforced at various times of day?

I feel this could help us determine whether slow speed at certain times is to be expected.

Also a quick question - I notice the Verizon link is being utilised at around 50% for the last 3 weeks - I would be interested to know about this and why all of our internet connections havent died as a result :lol:

Thanks

Simon

James D

Post by James D » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 am

The verizon link was split from one link into 2 links.

So there is more bandwidth, but I have requested that the graphs be updated to show this.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Suggestion - Shaping on Network Graphs

Post by James » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:55 am

sonicBlue wrote:Hello

I was just wondering if Exetel might consider showing on the network graphs the bandwidth cap that is actually being enforced at various times of day?

I feel this could help us determine whether slow speed at certain times is to be expected.

Also a quick question - I notice the Verizon link is being utilised at around 50% for the last 3 weeks - I would be interested to know about this and why all of our internet connections havent died as a result :lol:

Thanks

Simon
What bandiwdth cap?

sonicBlue

Re: Suggestion - Shaping on Network Graphs

Post by sonicBlue » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:44 am

James wrote:
What bandiwdth cap?
I just assumed there are certain bandwidth limitations that come into effect at various times of the day? Correct me if I am wrong.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 am

P2P is progressively constrained hour by hour from 8 pm to 2 am each day at the moment.

That's the limit of what is done.

No other traffic is ever 'constrained/capped' in any way at any time.

sonicBlue

Post by sonicBlue » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 am

ForumAdmin wrote:P2P is progressively constrained hour by hour from 8 pm to 2 am each day at the moment.

That's the limit of what is done.

No other traffic is ever 'constrained/capped' in any way at any time.

But many of us are seeing a speed reduction of our non-P2P traffic at various times, and yet we can see on the graphs that utilisation at those times is not flatlining at the top, and there appears to be some bandwidth to spare (eg. midnight).

This is why I thought there must be an overall bandwidth cap, otherwise the graph would be allowed to go up to 100% utilisation when necessary.

I'm guessing it's a bit more complicated than that though.