National dialup landline

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Matthew Dilnot

National dialup landline

Post by Matthew Dilnot » Wed May 21, 2008 11:55 am

Just as a suggestion. The one thing I miss (the only thing I miss) since leaving Telstra Cable is that I do not have access to a dialup number for when I am travelling interstate. I am sure there must be other users that would like this service. Would be great to add it on as an accessory service on a user pays basis/hour.

I use MS Exchange. Would be great to be able to dialin just to sychronise my Outlook.

Cheers,

Matt

James D

Re: National dialup landline

Post by James D » Wed May 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Exetel dose not offer any dial up services at all, the only suggestion i can make is that you grab a pre-paid dial up card to use while you are travelling.

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Matthew Dilnot wrote:I am sure there must be other users that would like this service. Would be great to add it on as an accessory service on a user pays basis/hour.
I would also appreciate having a backup dialup account. Many other ISPs offer this service, and I was surprised to learn that Exetel did not.

sable

Post by sable » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Why not get an HSPA account

They start at $5 per month + useage @ 1.5c per Mb, no contract

Ideal for checking email while travelling
Last edited by sable on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:14 am

I used to offer it free to Exetel users but have been deemed too small by M2 Wholesale. I think there is some consolidation happening in the dialup arena.

I second the HSPA suggestion - or any prepaid wireless with any decent carrier and expiration period. I have a $10 NextG 150M data pack on my mobile for those rare times when I'm out of Optus range, and so it can run gmail 24/7 for email. Works as a modem too.
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Hugh wrote:I would also appreciate having a backup dialup account. Many other ISPs offer this service, and I was surprised to learn that Exetel did not.
I think dial-up ancillary services have quite high (relative) costs. You need multiple phone lines, special equipment, etc. Dial-up is now a thing of the past and there is absolutely no sense (economical or technical) in continuing to support it.

Many computers don't even come with dial-up modems any more. You can get HSPA for only about 3-4 times the upfront cost ($120 or so(?) for a Huawei HSPA modem compared to about $30 for a dial-up modem), the usage fees are MUCH lower and the speeds are about 25-50 times faster.