1500/256 $30 plan

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Dujon

1500/256 $30 plan

Post by Dujon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:59 pm

I am seriously considering joining you lot in using Exetel as my ISP. I am currently with the big puddle and have been so since the year dot (well, twelve or thirteen years). So I have been exploring the Exetel site prior to taking the plunge into the unknown.

One thing I've noticed is the 'slide show' style advertisement for Exetel products which appears on many pages - including the plans and pricing pages - which mentions a 1500/256 plan for $30 per month. Old Scrooge at this end, on sighting this tasty morsel of information, tried to find out the details. Regrettably I can find nothing. Perhaps it's an out of date notice?

Can anyone throw light on the subject? Thanks.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: 1500/256 $30 plan

Post by Dazzled » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Related topic - what happened to the bundled ADSL1 plans? I've recommended a couple of people into these recently, and they won't be pleased to find the concept withdrawn. There appear to be no light users' plans 1500 and over any more. And no, the 3g based service is definitely not a substitute.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:15 pm

I just raised the topic on the website fixer-upper page.

When the new plans came out recently, the $30 one seems to have disappeared. If you are after a low use, low cost plan, the HSPA are excellent value. You pay $5 per month + usage. So you get 1GB for $20 (less, if you use less). I have used the service and can vouch it is excellent.

The other advantage is you can use VOIP for extremely low cost phone calls over this service. This means you can get rid of your wireleine altogether and not pay line rental ever again.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Dujon

Post by Dujon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Wow, thanks, dbr, I wasn't expecting a response so quickly - particularly as it's a Sunday afternoon.

Ah well, such is life. I should have known it was too good to be true.

Thanks for the tip on the HSPA. Unfortunately it wouldn't help me. I use between two and three gigabytes per month so I might as well opt for the $50 well-endowed-bandwidth plan. It's a shame though, I thought Santa had come early this year. :cry:

Again, thanks for your time and your trouble, 'tis appreciated.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:55 pm

dbr - the HSPA plans do not work where 3g is not available and even then, 3g modem/routers are not easily found. The need to amortise a new expensive modem/router/ATA is also a negative. Few people over 50 wish to use use a mobile phone at home, and there's not a lot of point in HSPA when Telstra has to stay attached. HSPA may well be the future, but that hasn't arrived yet.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 am

Dujon wrote:Wow, thanks, dbr, I wasn't expecting a response so quickly - particularly as it's a Sunday afternoon.
No worries. Spending a relaxing afternoon watching Aus in trouble in India, browsing the forums on the laptop.

EDIT: typo
Last edited by dbr on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 am

Dazzled wrote:dbr - the HSPA plans do not work where 3g is not available and even then,
No, but where it is available, it works very well. And the coverage is expanding.
Dazzled wrote:3g modem/routers are not easily found.
Correct again. However they are out there and becoming more prevalent (especially if you are referring to an all in one). The modem, though can be supplied with the service.
Dazzled wrote:The need to amortise a new expensive modem/router/ATA is also a negative.
It is certainly a consideration, though I would not presume to make that assessment on behalf of someone else.
Dazzled wrote:Few people over 50 wish to use use a mobile phone at home,
Again, I would not assume what another wished to do or not. I would especially not apply an over 50 technophile stereotype to anyone (if that is indeed what you were alluding too ;)) I know many tech savy, mobile toting over 50s!
Dazzled wrote:and there's not a lot of point in HSPA when Telstra has to stay attached.
It doesn't. in good coverage areas, HSPA + VOIP with mobile back up is all you NEED. No landline required.
Dazzled wrote:HSPA may well be the future, but that hasn't arrived yet.
Certainly not in all or even a lot of situations, yet. However for low volume users looking for a broadband connection to browse and check emails, and use VOIP. Then yes it is very suitable, right now. High volume downloaders, of course, would not yet look at it for their primary connection.

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by dbr on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 am

I think I do have a fair idea of how many (or most) over 60s think, and use their mobiles (as little as possible, usually) - I left that target behind a long time ago. But after 45 years computing for income, I now find myself as the guru for my family and friends. I have installed 3 new, not churned, Exetel-enabled setups in the just the last 2 months for retired people, and I assure you that there is no current plan which I could easily sell to them. None would consider HSPA as a landline substitute, even if it worked in their districts. Only one had an ADSL2 service as a possibility, but refused to leave the devil she knew. Alternative standard landline phone companies have a real battle with this group. Faster VoIP-supporting ADSL1 services are getting expensive for the light user on a reduced income.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:55 am

No worries, Dazzled. Keep up the good work.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Dazzled wrote:I think I do have a fair idea of how many (or most) over 60s think, and use their mobiles (as little as possible, usually) - I left that target behind a long time ago. But after 45 years computing for income, I now find myself as the guru for my family and friends. I have installed 3 new, not churned, Exetel-enabled setups in the just the last 2 months for retired people, and I assure you that there is no current plan which I could easily sell to them. None would consider HSPA as a landline substitute, even if it worked in their districts. Only one had an ADSL2 service as a possibility, but refused to leave the devil she knew. Alternative standard landline phone companies have a real battle with this group. Faster VoIP-supporting ADSL1 services are getting expensive for the light user on a reduced income.
So what is it a pensioner wants?

Dujon

Post by Dujon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Hello, Admin. I'd be interested to read Dazzled comments as well. Pending a response from him/her might I give you my opinion? You're going to get it anyway. ;-)

In the main pensioners (and I type here about the 65s and over) were exposed to computers and the Internet late in their working lives. Many, like myself, adopted the new technology as a hobby when some computers became affordable, played around with hardware, wrote BASIC programs and kept up to date with the 'latest and greatest'. Others began before that, programming in binary and hex with LED indicators and suchlike. However most in the age group of which we type belonged to neither of those groups. These are the people who use their computers as a tool and who would probably have only a rough idea of what you were talking about if you mentioned PHP, protocols or ports.

I am not suggesting that any or all of this group don't or won't use lots of bandwidth but I'd lay London to a Brick that a significant proportion of them would welcome a plan which embraced ADSL1 (where available) and a reduced bandwidth (say, 5 gigabytes) and limited options (say, no web space, just 2 e-mail addresses and perhaps no support other than this forum). In other words just a bare boned ISP alternative.

Maybe this sort of setup is not possible - I have no idea as to Exetec's cost per connection, so for me to pursue such would merely prove my wife's opinion of me as being an 'ignoramus'.

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:09 pm

Dujon wrote:I am not suggesting that any or all of this group don't or won't use lots of bandwidth but I'd lay London to a Brick that a significant proportion of them would welcome a plan which embraced ADSL1 (where available) and a reduced bandwidth (say, 5 gigabytes) and limited options (say, no web space, just 2 e-mail addresses and perhaps no support other than this forum). In other words just a bare boned ISP alternative.
Hi there Dujon,

I have one of those "phantom" $30 accounts - but it does not appear to be available to new subscribers now.

Its particulars are:

ADSL 1500/256
download allowance 1GB (recently increased to 4GB)
excess downloads at $3 per GB
must also have mobile $5 per month min
must also have Voip $5 per month min

plus all the standard extras.......

So I am really up for at least $40 per month - (oh yeh, also add the new admin $3 fee).

Is suits me fine - as I can't get ADSL2 here in Townsville, NQld.

Regards,

Harry.

Dujon

Post by Dujon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:32 pm

G'day, Harry.

It's nice to know that the $30 plan not only existed but is still being used.

Having seen your explanation I doubt that I would have taken up the offer. Why? Well I don't have, nor do I need, a mobile 'phone (I work from home and travel but short distances) and for VOIP I find that Skype works quite well for me. I've done the deed and asked Exetel to churn me from Telstra so I'll see how it goes over the six month contract.

You know what worries me most? It's not the change over, it's the matter of letting everyone know of my e-mail address change. All one of them. :lol:

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:07 am

Dujon wrote:You know what worries me most? It's not the change over, it's the matter of letting everyone know of my e-mail address change. All one of them. :lol:
I don't use an exetel email address normally.

I use a gmail account instead - gets around this problem....... and remains the same if and when I ever change my ISP.

Regards,

Harry.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

Dujon wrote:Hello, Admin. I'd be interested to read Dazzled comments as well. Pending a response from him/her might I give you my opinion? You're going to get it anyway. ;-)

In the main pensioners (and I type here about the 65s and over) were exposed to computers and the Internet late in their working lives. Many, like myself, adopted the new technology as a hobby when some computers became affordable, played around with hardware, wrote BASIC programs and kept up to date with the 'latest and greatest'. Others began before that, programming in binary and hex with LED indicators and suchlike. However most in the age group of which we type belonged to neither of those groups. These are the people who use their computers as a tool and who would probably have only a rough idea of what you were talking about if you mentioned PHP, protocols or ports.

I am not suggesting that any or all of this group don't or won't use lots of bandwidth but I'd lay London to a Brick that a significant proportion of them would welcome a plan which embraced ADSL1 (where available) and a reduced bandwidth (say, 5 gigabytes) and limited options (say, no web space, just 2 e-mail addresses and perhaps no support other than this forum). In other words just a bare boned ISP alternative.
The problem, as always, is that the "basic" cost of providing an ADSL service is the base port monthly rental price from the carrier - for ADSL1 that's Telstra.

My father in law is in his 80's and is an active computer/internet user (share trading/video phone calls/a lot of information browsing etc) and he wouldn't get to 1 gb per month - and neither do I for that matter.

We have been thinking about Pay As You Use plans for some time now which would be the lowest prices we could offer which would look something like this:

1500/256 - $40.00 per month (inc $3.00 aaf) - $1.25 per gb peak down load - 25 cent per gb off peak download

or a 512/128 ADSL1 plan at a lower base cost of $35.00 (inc $3.00 aaf).

Data 'blocks' can be bought in advance and warnings given when the user hits 1 gb left and an easy 'top up' on screen ability.