Routed SMS2email - receive without Virtual Mobile number

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ronald

Routed SMS2email - receive without Virtual Mobile number

Post by ronald » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm

G'day,

I would really like to be able to receive some SMS as email, but not nearly enough so to justify the $15/month expense for a virtual mobile number.

So I'm wondering if it would make sense for Exetel to have a facility for "routed" incoming SMS, i.e. only one central recipient number and then some syntax to forward incoming messages to the correct recipients. The simplest thing I could think of is just putting the subscriber number as the first token into the message, but I'm sure there are endless other ways to do it.

I'm also aware that there would be endless ways for mistakes or abuse on the sender side, which could be addressed by doing one or more of the following:
- assign arbitrary (or random) strings to users, instead of subscriber numbers
- let users define which numbers they accept messages from and dump the rest
- perhaps combine the above and generate a specific string for each sender-recipient-combination
- add some (brief) command syntax to make sure the first token really is what it should be (a recipient address of some sort), e.g. by requiring it to have an "r" prepended and a ":" appended, or the like
- only allow certain sender numbers and always route those to the pre-configured recipient(s) - in fact as long as one sender does not send to multiple recipients, the sender number would be all the routing information that's needed [though with configurable sender that might again open the door to abuse]
- whatever else people can dream up

Such a service would probably not be extremely convenient for everyday texting (though it might be acceptable for some, and most phones support message templates), but for technical appplications or some business uses it might be just what the doctor ordered.
Because one mobile number would serve many, cost could be considerably lower than a virtual mobile number.

And Exetel could either make this an opt-in service, or one that just needs to be configured (like outgoing SMS), charge a (hopefully low) monthly fee, or make it free, or charge per message (in that case restrictions on sender numbers would be a must IMO), or charge per message and give users a number of free shots (like with outgoing SMS), or a combination of all, or something completely different. In any case I believe that given the existing SMS2email infrastructure it's probably not overly hard to implement and not overly expensive resource-wise. I'd certainly appreciate to see something like this at a nice price. :)

Thanks for your consideration.

darylp

Re: Routed SMS2email - receive without Virtual Mobile number

Post by darylp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:49 am

This can be done, each SMS has a unique identifier, (similar to email) so the unique identifier can be used to route the SMS back.

The SMS recipient *must* use the reply function on their mobile for this to work.
They cannot use the number the SMS supposedly comes from.

http://www.traitel.com.au has 2-way SMS as above but charge a $12/month access fee plus 9c Australian SMS. It also works with international SMS. It works really well & their systems are extremely reliable.

It would be awesome if Exetel implemented the above, I'd rather pay Exetel for this feature than traitel.

William M

Post by William M » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, Traitel's SMS service operates differently to that of Exetel and are able to offer such a function. I would assume that they have direct connections to each main telecommunication network within Australia that allows them to receive unique identifiers. This would also explain the higher fees they charged.

Also from memory, I believe they allocate a Virtual Mobile Number when you registered for the 2-way SMS which may also explain the higher charges.

Cheers Will.

ronald

Post by ronald » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:48 am

Hi,

What I have in mind is some sort of address and/or verification token in the actual incoming SMS. That would allow for straight sending as well, not just replying to received messages. If recipients can register allowed sender numbers and we trust them (to that extent), it might also work without the token, with the restriction of just one possible recipient for each sender.

Ronald

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:24 pm

We'll look at it in the new year.

Right now - "the pattern is full".

ronald

Post by ronald » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:32 pm

LOL!

Fair enough, thanks.

darylp

Post by darylp » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:10 am

William M wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately, Traitel's SMS service operates differently to that of Exetel and are able to offer such a function. I would assume that they have direct connections to each main telecommunication network within Australia that allows them to receive unique identifiers. This would also explain the higher fees they charged.

Also from memory, I believe they allocate a Virtual Mobile Number when you registered for the 2-way SMS which may also explain the higher charges.

Cheers Will.
Yes, I have 43 virtual numbers:- one for each registered email.
I guess compared to Exetel's $15/month/VMN, $12/month/43 MVN is a bargain!

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 am

darylp wrote:Yes, I have 43 virtual numbers:- one for each registered email.
If these virtual numbers are taken from the Nationally allocated phone numbering system it isn't very effective because if everyone starts getting 40 or more of them we will need to go to 11 or 12 digit phone numbers pretty quick!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ronald

Post by ronald » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 pm

vk3xem wrote:
If these virtual numbers are taken from the Nationally allocated phone numbering system it isn't very effective because if everyone starts getting 40 or more of them we will need to go to 11 or 12 digit phone numbers pretty quick!
That's one aspect, and also I don't think I would ever want to have to handle 40 virtual numbers - I'd much rather use one and have a simple way to forward stuff through that.
Thinking about it, this is probably also a point against using pseudo-random verification tokens and in favour of user-defined (easy to remember) ones.

ronald

Post by ronald » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Are these all VPM numbers?
From the Traitel FAQ:
Can I have more than one Alphanumeric ID?

You can have as many Alphanumeric sender ID's as you like. If you have more than one business and 'ACME' (as an example) is not enough, you log on to web-messaging and request to have more ID's with the only limitation being 11 characters as the maximum length. If you own the name or the trade mark, then the choice is yours. Getting 'SuperMart', 'Super Mart', 'Tyres R us' or 'McGoodies' is just a click away.

What if I want replies to my mobile?

Alphanumeric messages don't support replies because the recipient sees characters instead of numbers. So what if you want the recipient to respond to your mobile? - No problem! You can request to have your mobile as a sender ID so when you send a message the recipient will think that you have sent it from your own mobile phone!

Can SMS sent through your Australian network support Alphanumeric ID's?

Unfortunately due to regulations that are in place for Australian networks the ability to customise the sender ID of a mobile is not currently possible. And even though these SMS have one of the highest possible delivery guarantees, we still offer them at a lower cost due to this restriction.
Seems to me like they use some sort of internal routing which uses alphanumeric sender IDs for everything that's not SMS, and/or your own mobile number for SMS replies.
Maybe I'm missing something.

ronald

Post by ronald » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We'll look at it in the new year.

Right now - "the pattern is full".
New year's here - how are things looking?