Quota Reset Cycles Changes

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
beatmag

Quota Reset Cycles Changes

Post by beatmag » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:39 am

Hi,

I am pretty sure someone has mentioned this before.
But why doesn't Exetel, scatter the billing cycles of everyone, then you would get a evenly distributed usage pattern for everyones end of cycle.

eg Instead of billing everyone of the 1st or resetting everyones quota on the first...
split people into 4 groups.
1st
8th
15th
22nd

Now what this will do is, it will even out the people trying to use their end of month quota.

That means, during every week there is only 1/4 of the people trying to use all their quota.
That means, we dont have to have all this P2P throttle, and severely SLOWED down P2P during 8am to 12noon.

Lately, my p2p has been going really slow.

So why is this method of distributing the load not been consider?
There must be a reason......

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Quota Reset Cycles Changes

Post by James » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:30 am

beatmag wrote:Hi,

I am pretty sure someone has mentioned this before.
But why doesn't Exetel, scatter the billing cycles of everyone, then you would get a evenly distributed usage pattern for everyones end of cycle.

eg Instead of billing everyone of the 1st or resetting everyones quota on the first...
split people into 4 groups.
1st
8th
15th
22nd

Now what this will do is, it will even out the people trying to use their end of month quota.

That means, during every week there is only 1/4 of the people trying to use all their quota.
That means, we dont have to have all this P2P throttle, and severely SLOWED down P2P during 8am to 12noon.

Lately, my p2p has been going really slow.

So why is this method of distributing the load not been consider?
There must be a reason......

It's too confusing, it's much easier to have your quota reset on the first of the month, and end on the last day of the month.

beatmag

Post by beatmag » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:31 am

James wrote:It's too confusing, it's much easier to have your quota reset on the first of the month, and end on the last day of the month.
It cant be that confusing can it? You will just end up running a billing batch either everyday, or on the specific outlined billing days.
This will really relieve the network.

The previous ISP I was on had flexible billing dates, so they basically set your billing date.
The P2P throttle meant I can barely download 1Gb data through p2p during offpeak. :( :( :( :(
At least during this week, I dont think I would be able to , since everyone is spamming the link trying to use their quota.

Its really not confusing. As long as each customer knows which day their quota resets.. Its actually quite easy to manage, and maintain. And also you will avoid all the end of month flood of traffic.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:42 am

beatmag wrote:
James wrote:It's too confusing, it's much easier to have your quota reset on the first of the month, and end on the last day of the month.
It cant be that confusing can it? You will just end up running a billing batch either everyday, or on the specific outlined billing days.

The previous ISP I was on had flexible billing dates, so they basically set your billing date.
The P2P throttle meant I can barely download 1Gb data through p2p during offpeak. :( :( :( :(
At least during this week, I dont think I would be able to , since everyone is spamming the link trying to use their quota.

Its really not confusing. As long as each customer knows which day their quota resets.. Its actually quite easy to manage, and maintain. And also you will avoid all the end of month flood of traffic.
Are you volunteering to answer all teh calls/emails from people about this?

The current system works fine, and it would be the mother of all PITAs to change.

beatmag

Post by beatmag » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 am

James wrote:Are you volunteering to answer all teh calls/emails from people about this?

The current system works fine, and it would be the mother of all PITAs to change.
:( :( :(
Maybe you can let people select the change.
But this will of course, create a pro rata charge......during the first change of the billing cycle.

I wouldn't think that changing the billing cycle + quota cycle would mean a significant increase of support calls/emails. There will be 2 types of people, the people that understand what happened or the people who dont. The people who dont, probably wouldn't use past their quota meaning they wouldn't even know.

But I understand it from your point of view. Its just disappointing that, this is not an option.
I also understand from billing system point of view you will need to do the changes and testing before you can roll that out. I will predict the day, you will need to do this change one day in the future. Exetel has just been putting back this change.

I wonder how many unhappy customers are there lately since this massive p2p change.
I am not that happy :(
I hope it pans out better soon.

David R

Post by David R » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Your report of p2p is unfortunate for an IP's least desired protocol; on the other hand these guys are extracting something like 83%-utility across our network. Just 17% wastage, if I am reading the TOTALS correct.

Another thing I'd say in general.. 'using one's quota up at the end of a month'- is a luxury an ADSL'2' user can afford. It takes ME no less than a third of one month, with (NNTP/)alt.binz throttled modestly, to pull 108 gigabytes down of my narrow band (forecast for the busier months) connection. Can't get Optus & 8Mbit may as well not exist.

I have a strategy in mind to somewhat spread out my usage. Schedule 20GB on each 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of a month and let that trickle down over 42 hours or so at 144kBs

These 8th, 15th, 22nd etc schedules will fall fairly randomly on different days of the week for each new month - unlike the predictable end user types who load the network ritually on Saturday+Sun http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsumm ... width.html .
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:10 pm

It won't make much difference for a fair while but, possibly in the new year, we will create a second billing date (probably 15th of each month) for new customers who sign up.

We never particularly wanted to split our billing dates and may well not do it because of all the administrative and logistic complications.

repeatedlove

Post by repeatedlove » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:23 pm

It seems also much less hassle in an accounting perspective to bill on the 1st of the month.

neb

Post by neb » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:01 am

James wrote:
beatmag wrote:

Are you volunteering to answer all teh calls/emails from people about this?

Rubbish, anniversary billing works very well, even with large customer numbers, and yes I speak from facts not assumptions
(edited: if a little isp called optusnet can manage it im sure a small/mdedium ISP can, optus invoice me on my anniversay date )

The OP is correct, I have ran a NOC where we did this, it does relive the stress of the peak periods by 'evening out' the bandwith utilisation, yes it means running billing every day, and yes it means the accounts dept would have to actually do some work every day :) but overall, theyd be doing no more than total man hours per month anyway.

A reason against such is that carriers invoice telcos typically between the 1st and 3rd of every month, and ISP's bill end users at that time so they get money in -> pay std op costs (known amounts) + pay carriers = ahh thats what me made this month, however , thats poor accounting practices, also think bank interest in your favour, bank interest is calculated daily, although it wont show in your account until the next month.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Anniversary billing is not "desirable" for large companies such as Optus - it is essential because the time taken to process a bill run for millions of customers is so great.

It is not yet essential for Exetel and we like the tidiness of a single bill run.

Also none of our major suppliers bill us on the "1st to the 3rd" with bills being received throughout the month and no supplier actually adhering to their stated bill dates.

It doesn't suit Exetel, in any way, to change away from our current process - so we won't.

As I said, we may institute a second bill run next year for then new customers but that is by no means certain.