No extras + $5 extra per month, out of the blue

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
stahmoy

No extras + $5 extra per month, out of the blue

Post by stahmoy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 pm

I received two e-mails from Exetel today.
The first read:

"This notice is being given to you under the terms and conditions of the supply of ADSL services to you. Exetel will no longer provide three services at no charge that are included in older ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans. …"

This news is not the most pleasant, but given the low rates of SMSs and phone calls I can understand and am happy to pay the extra cost.

However, the second e-mail received later today is not acceptable:

"Due to a change in circumstances Exetel is sorry to advise you that the monthly cost of your ADSL2 plan will increase by $5.00 per month from March 1st 2010. Should you wish to transfer your service to another provider you should arrange to do that before midnight on February 28th 2010."

I just changed my 1 year plan in January of this year (commencing 1 Jan). My understanding is that I agreed to pay for internet services at a fixed monthly cost (plus additional costs where my usage exceeds the allocated quota), whereby I have to pay a penalty fee to terminate prematurely, like a term deposit. If I'm not allowed to terminate it earlier, then why is Exetel allowed to charge more per month without my consent? At the very least it would help if Exetel gave a proper reason. "Change in circumstances" is not an explanation of the most basic kind. How do you define 'circumstances'? And exactly why does this 'change' mean I have to shell out an extra amount, even though my original 1 year plan was supposedly fixed for one year?

And lastly, how 'sorry' are you, really? I don't feel like I've received any sort of apology. It just feels like a one-year contract was broken after one month and I was asked to go away if I wasn't happy.

I just don't get why Exetel can just to do this to their customers, and why it would be acceptable to anyone. I feel tricked, because when I made plan change in December last year I budgeted and planned for my internet expenses to be relatively consistent. That's why I chose Exetel. I've never dealt with a telecommunications company that makes the plan cost more when I never agreed; only less, or the same cost with additional features (never fewer). Obviously changing to another provider is not the best option given all the trouble involved in the process.

I still have hope for a proper explanation, and look forward to Exetel's response on this.

templeth

Re: No extras + $5 extra per month, out of the blue

Post by templeth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Well sorry guys... I misread the email...

And feel pretty humbled and a little stupid.

It isn't a cumulative increase. I read it as $5 every being slapped onto the cost EVERY month therefore by dec that is $105... Which is quite ridiculous.

Well if it raises the cost to only $720 per year than that is around ten percent increase. A little hefty but hey exetel hasn't screwed me around in the past so I am happy.
Last edited by templeth on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 pm

stahmoy wrote:I received two e-mails from Exetel today.
The first read:

"This notice is being given to you under the terms and conditions of the supply of ADSL services to you. Exetel will no longer provide three services at no charge that are included in older ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans. …"

This news is not the most pleasant, but given the low rates of SMSs and phone calls I can understand and am happy to pay the extra cost.

However, the second e-mail received later today is not acceptable:

"Due to a change in circumstances Exetel is sorry to advise you that the monthly cost of your ADSL2 plan will increase by $5.00 per month from March 1st 2010. Should you wish to transfer your service to another provider you should arrange to do that before midnight on February 28th 2010."

I just changed my 1 year plan in January of this year (commencing 1 Jan). My understanding is that I agreed to pay for internet services at a fixed monthly cost (plus additional costs where my usage exceeds the allocated quota), whereby I have to pay a penalty fee to terminate prematurely, like a term deposit. If I'm not allowed to terminate it earlier, then why is Exetel allowed to charge more per month without my consent? At the very least it would help if Exetel gave a proper reason. "Change in circumstances" is not an explanation of the most basic kind. How do you define 'circumstances'? And exactly why does this 'change' mean I have to shell out an extra amount, even though my original 1 year plan was supposedly fixed for one year?

And lastly, how 'sorry' are you, really? I don't feel like I've received any sort of apology. It just feels like a one-year contract was broken after one month and I was asked to go away if I wasn't happy.

I just don't get why Exetel can just to do this to their customers, and why it would be acceptable to anyone. I feel tricked, because when I made plan change in December last year I budgeted and planned for my internet expenses to be relatively consistent. That's why I chose Exetel. I've never dealt with a telecommunications company that makes the plan cost more when I never agreed; only less, or the same cost with additional features (never fewer). Obviously changing to another provider is not the best option given all the trouble involved in the process.

I still have hope for a proper explanation, and look forward to Exetel's response on this.
You can't have free SMS, Fax and Voip on a NF plan - NF = "No Frills".

stahmoy

Post by stahmoy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:40 pm

To ForumAdmin,

Your reply is not really helpful. I already noted in my post that the issue of no free SMS/calls is a concern.

Please, could you justify the additional $5 cost for the plan and not focus on the free SMS/calls etc. That was the focus of my post. Please re-read it.

Thanks.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:55 pm

hmm.. .does this help or not apply?

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 30#p267786

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 am

I'm with stahmoy on this, i am too in the same boat. When i joined with Exetel i was rest assured that by locked into 1 year contract i will continue to get all the services i signed up for. The only reason i choose Extel from any other ISP providers were at the time i believe Exetel was the best option base on my budget and all the services Exetel had to offers compares to other ISP at the time.Its so covenient for Exetel to make such decisions but thousands of users had the inconvenient. Just like anyone on here, wasted all my time doing research for the best isp, had to paid to switch my phone line to Telstra so i can connect to Exetel, paid to connect to Exetel. Now that if i want to move to a different isp i will have to connect to telstra or optus again since i bundle my landline with Exetel, which i will have to pay for the connection again. How bloody fair is that? What is the point of having a contract when Exetel can changed when they want?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:01 am

What part of the above link I linked did you not read?
Gidget wrote:
Gidget wrote:I have queried the application of this price increase to NF plans with longer than 30-day contracts. I expect to get a reply tomorrow.

Gidget
I have received confirmation that the NF price increases which are the subject of this thread do not apply to customers who have a 12 month ADSL2 plan and who are still within their initial contract term.

Affected customers will shortly receive an email from Exetel confirming this.

Gidget

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm

stahmoy wrote:To ForumAdmin,

Your reply is not really helpful. I already noted in my post that the issue of no free SMS/calls is a concern.

Please, could you justify the additional $5 cost for the plan and not focus on the free SMS/calls etc. That was the focus of my post. Please re-read it.

Thanks.
You complained that free services had been removed when your plan never had any free services so your post was mischievous at best.

The price of a plan for new users has increased by $5.00 and it affects current users not at all so again your post is mischievous at best.

Either post something real or don't post at all.