A$100 per annum VoIP Super Value Pack

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
David R

A$100 per annum VoIP Super Value Pack

Post by David R » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:16 am

THE BASE CONCEPT
I have no insight into the billing processes Exetel use with its supplier(s) but I appreciate that 'call credits standard expiry in monthly periods' provides one inherent problem: but that this obstacle (perhaps if the business had strong desire to?) could potentially be bypassed if Exetels database were coded to "refresh/update" each subscriber's credit e.g. the $100, a reducing balance, refreshed itself every 30 days in order to achieve a VoIP package designed to be enjoyed over 12 months-or longer, period. Flexibility/Value are the drivers of this concept.

Also, seeing the $100 would cover some 'bulk packaging' of minutes it may not be necessarily referred to as "call credits" as described in my opening paragraph. It could instead mean the "one-off fee" for gaining access to the package (no refunds would be available in any case).

THE COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT
Anyone sensibly versed in VoIP communications will know where the cutting edge of competition in this sector currently is found. It is indicated by one "18.88 subscription fee" which covers: Unlimited national calls (+so many popular destinations internationally); 'Free' 500mins=8.33hours(!) to Australia Mobile; 50 SMS; and of course includes a DID. The catch is it does expire monthly so, largely only proving valuable to families or very heavy users.

DESIRED FEATURES IN SUPER VALUE VOIP
Drawing from the competitive environment a A$100 contribution may afford oneself five months of Unlimited national calls plus the equivalent of *41 HOURS* to Mobile numbers spread over that time. I submit there would be strong demand for any similar package and for which some trade offs could be made--for example, that number of Mobile hours may be possible to halve (41->21) in exchange for the flexibility/12 months to spread the usage out. Obviously a package has to recognise the very significant 'commitment' the customer shows in making such a purchase; $100 fee, up front, annual-contribution.

SUMMARY OF PACK PUT FORWARD
  • A$100 charged for < 1 YEAR of VoIP*
  • 400 calls to Australia
  • 1260mins =21hrs to Australia Mobiles (= $4.75/hr)
  • 250 SMS
  • DID Number
  • Per second billing to international destinations
  • Uncharged Exetel to Exetel calls.
*Pricing reverts to standard PAYU rates, if as within 1 year, subscriber depletes the calls/minutes/SMS balances.

Is it possible for Exetel to wrangle a deal to satisfy those requirements?
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

David R

Re: A$100 per annum VoIP Super Value Pack

Post by David R » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:50 am

Coincidental @14/02/2010 1:54 pm one interested consumer post in WP:

"Synergy between Exetel and PennyTel?

Exetel has never been shy of experimenting in terms of the finding and setting a formulated 'quality level' for its main production line - that performance-value equation used constantly in the realm of delivering low cost, eXetreme budget, broadband to market. It has invested years developing compelling broadband/telephony plans, user facilities, mobile apps, and value-adds--all outputs of a single teams' creative effort toward those objectives.

But suppose now, it was a good time, at this juncture for the cannibal players to conglomerize.

I'd say each company' /goals/mission align nicely - - someone at PT help FA ratify the "Super Pack" ^outlined ?:)
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

vbap

Post by vbap » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:03 am

David R wrote:THE BASE CONCEPT
I have no insight into the billing processes Exetel use with its supplier(s)...
I think I get what you're saying, though you have a rather odd way of expressing yourself...!

In my mind, offering these sorts of "yearly" packs is a sign that the service provider has cash flow issues.
If Exetel thinks there is demand for an up-sized VoIP pack (and their systems should be able to tell them whether that is the case), they will probably offer it on a monthly basis, rather than ask people to pre-pay a year's worth.

For my usage, I would actually prefer a snack-sized pack (50 calls, 15 mobile minutes, 15 sms for 5 bucks).

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm

vbap wrote:
For my usage, I would actually prefer a snack-sized pack (50 calls, 15 mobile minutes, 15 sms for 5 bucks).

+1

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:34 pm

We can't offer 12 month services for all sorts of reasons.

We could offer a 'mixed pack' but it would need to be one or two rather than dozens.

vbap

Post by vbap » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We could offer a 'mixed pack' but it would need to be one or two rather than dozens.
Whatever mixed pack you could throw together for $5, I'd likely takeup.
More than $5, and PAYU is probably better.

melanieb
Exetel Staff

Post by melanieb » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 am

vbap wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We could offer a 'mixed pack' but it would need to be one or two rather than dozens.
Whatever mixed pack you could throw together for $5, I'd likely takeup.
More than $5, and PAYU is probably better.
We will put together a mixed pack. Once added to your plan, it will remain as an additional each month until it is removed.

David R

Post by David R » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

@vbap Exetel already has a pack whereby you may purchase (>50) calls pm @$5.00; now add Mobiles and that effectively brings you to $120 pa-but that's nothing earth shattering ... I trust the thrust of my original post wasn't hard to grasp, which was to convince Exetel to BULK BUY/-BILL the minutes; a sort of cross-mix between a Savvytel and PennyTel plan, aimed to achieving -

a) significant DISCOUNT for each end user of the relevant costs, enabling;
b) FLEXIBILITY as reward for individuals sensible enough and willing enough to plan/budget their costs (like a business might).

No point in not expanding the VoIP/product range...Monthly plans are a dime a dozen -- SKYPE didn't get to where it is by Disallowing users to STRETCH their credit. This remains my view now.
David R wrote:
  • A$100 charged for < 1 YEAR of VoIP*
  • 400 calls to Australia
  • 1260mins =21hrs to Australia Mobiles (= $4.75/hr)...
+1

But alas, if we absolutely must pay by the month then I would suggest 32 calls+100mins for ~$9.00/mth would be a good baseline, albeit a meagre fragment of a 'Super (mixed) Pack'.

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 am

I didn't realise your chapter on "Competitive Environment" was outlining a PennyTel plan. That's what confused me.

The thrust then of your suggestion is to have a "Mixed Pack" whereby the free calls/credit/units have 1 year validity instead of 1 month. Still, to me, suggests that supplier has cash flow problems...

In the "current environment" (and I have in no way analysed it as much as you appear to have), I would think consumers would prefer a "dime-a-dozen" monthly option that enables them to switch to something else when the pricing inevitably changes (for the better). Exetel would price their product to basically ensure they don't lose customers...12 months is a long time in the business it would seem, and after the outcry of the recent ADSL plan changes, I'm not sure Exetel's bread&butter customers would want to pre-pay a (potentially) year's worth of credit. And, given the repeated statement that $45-$50 / month is the sweet spot for ADSL, having a *mixed* VoIP pack at $5 / month would ensure that most people (like me) can keep to this.

I'm sure a larger pack will suit others (like yourself) so hopefully Exetel can come up with something for us both.

In any respect, at least your post seems to have triggered some action :)