New plans / old plans / confusing emails

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Niall

New plans / old plans / confusing emails

Post by Niall » Mon May 10, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Exetel people,
I have just received an email from "Exetel Provisioning" saying that we are "currently using an ADSL plan that was discontinued a long time ago by Exetel". I have only recently (Nov last year) changed plans (from NONPHONE C to NF/23NOTEL), so I'm not sure what your email is about?

I also do not understand "As you may know you are currently using an ADSL plan that was discontinued a long time ago by Exetel. It is now no longer viable for us to continue to provide this plan to you at the current pricing because it is now below our cost price. " The plan I would change to is the same dollar amount for a greater download amount (I would change to the Z/22Notel, which is 60/unlimited - better than what I currently have, 60 peak/60 off peak) I have attached the email which I received telling me you will 'cease' my current plan unless I change it.

I am very confused by the email and am not sure exactly what you want me to do.
My current plan is:
Service Number: 039xxxxxxx
Plan Type: NF/23NOTEL
Monthly Access Charge: $60.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 70000
Peak Period Option: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 60000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
Service Line Speed: ADSL2+
Service Activation Date: 2008-02-25
Contract Period: 12 Months
Initial Contract End Date: 2009-02-25

Ravenous

Re: New plans / old plans / confusing emails

Post by Ravenous » Mon May 10, 2010 9:57 am

It is asking you to log into the user facilities to change your plan to one of the set that is currently offered to existing users before June 30. I am sure you also have the option to change ISPs or simply terminate connection altogether.

Change to the Z/22Notel may be a good idea as it is now only available to existing customers. I am not sure how long this offer will be left on the table?

New customers can only choose from the new plans that do not offer off peak http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php. The new plans may be offered to existing customers in the near future.

Underlines added to differentiate plans for existing users and plans for new users. Attempt to minimise confusion. Or maybe I am confused still as well :?

P.S. Read the following post for more information and justification: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p275643

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon May 10, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks for that, but I'm even more confused now. I've only recently (5 months) changed to NF/23NOTEL, and while the Z/22NOTEL appears to be a slightly better plan (and the equivalent ONC plan offered to "new" users, which is exactly the same). How in heaven's name is this going to change anything from Exetel's point of view - especially when they're saying
It is now no longer viable for us to continue to provide this plan to you at the current pricing because it is now below our cost price.
Now, obviously I am going to change to the better plan, but I would like to know the real reason because the one given in the email is obviously bogus, as it will actually be more beneficial to me, rather than to Exetel.

Code: Select all

Old Plan                                             New plan
Peak 60gb                                          Peak 60gb excess shaped to 512kb (hardly ever reach this speed anyway & I'm only 100m from the Mitcham 3132 exchange)
Off Peak 60gb + 50c per gb over          OffPeak Unlimited

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Mon May 10, 2010 10:24 am

Niall wrote:I would like to know the real reason
One can only speculate. It is likely to be commercial-in-confidence.

My guess and a stab in the pitch black dark... ***Pointless Speculation*** 8) 8) 8)

Refer to the link above ^ I find my speculation fun but, on second reading, could mislead.

Cheers, Ravenous
Last edited by Ravenous on Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon May 10, 2010 10:35 am

I really appreciate you pitching in to this, Ravenous, but that does seem a little weak. What my plan is should effectively have absolutely no effect on what Exetel is paying wholesale. For example, if I am contracted to supply computers to a school at $500 per PC, and my wholesale cost drops to $350 per pc, I don't need to renegotiate the contract with the school to get the new profits, conversely, if the price per pc (wholesale) goes up, then I have to wear the potential loss (until I renegotiate the contract with my wholesaler) - but in both of these cases, it has no effect on my contract with my customer.

Anyway having the same $ and more gb, should actually be making this worse for Exetel, not better.

*still confused*

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 10, 2010 11:36 am

All speculation is pointless.

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon May 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi ForumAdmin,
Thanks for your contribution, and also for the explanation at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p275643
however neither of these really address this issue - that is, if I am one of the 30,000 (and I fail to see how, as my peak is always more than my off-peak, and I've never yet hit my 60gb limit, max has only ever been 37,416mb in Dec last year), then why offer me MORE download for the same price? That effectively defeats the purpose of putting me onto a newer plan.

Like I said earlier, I'm happy to move to the new plan with greater downloads for the same price, but I fail to see how this is going to help Exetel.

ps - the email came this morning @ 8:49am, Monday 10/5/2010.