Passworded Forum

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Passworded Forum

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Please Exetel, if we must do this, get it right.

I have just had to set up a computer specially to get on board after guessing what has been done. This site, like the comments to JL's blog, is not coded correctly, and denies entry to legitimate logins from standards compliant browsers.

It also seems superfluous to need a second login to post, after using the user facility login to get here - perhaps the nickname could be tied to the service number.

Edit: Stopped shouting.
Last edited by Dazzled on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixer

Re: PASSWORDED FORUM

Post by Mixer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:10 pm

It's also a pain in the I/O to have to log in numerous times after the session times out.
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

David R

Post by David R » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:25 pm

You guys sure are locking things down veeery deep.. 'dont approve of this btw. so much for open source :?
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Dazzled wrote:Please Exetel, if we must do this, get it right.

I have just had to set up a computer specially to get on board after guessing what has been done. This site, like the comments to JL's blog, is not coded correctly, and denies entry to legitimate logins from standards compliant browsers.
Which browser do you use?

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Mixer wrote:It's also a pain in the I/O to have to log in numerous times after the session times out.
Can you try again with new set session time out?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Raymond, I am using FF 3.0 on Slackware at present, as I knew its quirks worked on JL's blog and I assumed the same error. Unfortunately when you wish to post, FF throws up the same pre-filled form as was remembered for entry to the site.

My preferred browser is Opera 10, which is 100% standards compliant. (Indeed mine has so many user scripts and personalised CSSs coded into it I could hardly function without it), but it fails to log in.

Trying some other browsers that use 1st class html engines, Konqueror 4.0 (KHTML) is forgiving but the login fails in Epiphany (Gecko).

PS Opera has the syntax validator on the right click menu, and Opera Dragonfly development tools (Style, DOM, etc etc) built in - well worth trying in the office , particularly if linked to something like bluefish.

PPS The empty form action (illegal but common) appears to be posting back to itself as intended, but the post data aren't getting received. The empty action seems to work on other simpler sites.
Last edited by Dazzled on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sable

Post by sable » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:16 pm

It also seems superfluous to need a second login to post, after using the user facility login to get here - perhaps the nickname could be tied to the service number.
DITTO

sable

Post by sable » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm

raymond wrote:

I have just had to set up a computer specially to get on boarfter guessing what has been done. This site, like the comments to JL's blog, is not coded correctly, and denies entry to legitimate logins from standards compliant browsers.
Which browser do you use?
I use Maxthon with Roboform looking after my passwords.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Question I have is; if we all have a fixed / static IP why is it necessary to 'log on' surely there is a way of identifying a 'friendly' range of addresses and only use log on for remote use?

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Just like J.L.P.M. Blog, RSS Live bookmark has gone funky, fails to update, which is unfortunate. There probably is an alternative.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Mixer, even that has a problem - other customers in strife have been known to log in from my network.

supernicko

Re: Passworded Forum

Post by supernicko » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:52 pm

I think it is a shame that it is locked at all.

I signed up to Exetel after joining the forums and getting to see what goes on here. You hear the usual whiners but I realised that is what they were and that the rest looked really good.

Haven't regretted the decision yet.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:25 am

Raymond, the Exetel user facility alternate login successfully uses a simple form, and suits all browsers. This would be a better approach for the forum, and would enable a distinctive Exetel background graphic to be used as well.

The phpBB forum page adds a fieldset to the form, with problems, see http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html4 ... ldset.html, with nested definition lists. Legend is difficult to style across browsers, and has been omitted. Neither Opera nor Gecko engines have inserted a workaround to handle this, as the FF browser has done. It can be made to work with a user javascript, but why not avoid using it? There are also syntax errors in the header statements, leading to browsers making assumptions.

The second required login, to post, uses the same page, which adds a further problems for FF auto login. It would be useful too, if once logged into the the user facility, selecting the link there led directly to the forum index.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:19 am

Personal opinion here, locking up a forum this way is just simply a PR disaster which will potentially turn away people who may have been thinking of changing over to Exetel from whoever their current provider is.... :?
Has Exetel been getting hammered by spam bots or something so badly that they feel the need to do this??

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Baldrick wrote: that they feel the need to do this??
History viewtopic.php?f=288&t=35953