A tip for Regular Forum Viewers :) (Auto login)

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
MCCMikey

A tip for Regular Forum Viewers :) (Auto login)

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 am

G'day :)

If, like me, you're a regular viewer of this forum; you might be frustrated with having to log in several times a day with your Exetel details.

You can automate this process in Firefox using iMacros. (http://www.iopus.com/imacros/firefox/)

Some other password manager addins might also automate the process; I have not tried.

Cheers, Mike.

ForumAdmin

Re: A tip for Regular Forum Viewers :) (Auto login)

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:12 am

We will add a 'tick the box' remember my log in before the end of the week.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:42 am

How about if the IP is in the exetel range there is no need for a login?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:03 pm

rseydler wrote:How about if the IP is in the exetel range there is no need for a login?
Do you think that's better than remembering the log in from any IP?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
rseydler wrote:How about if the IP is in the exetel range there is no need for a login?
yeah I use from multiple IP's so the option to remember would be preferred (by me at least) :)

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
When you have more than 1 computer... yup.

For those that will disagree how about both? :)

Ron

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:39 pm

rseydler wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
When you have more than 1 computer... yup.

For those that will disagree how about both? :)

Ron
What does it add if the user name/password is remembered?

Munka

Post by Munka » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:49 pm

jokiin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
yeah I use from multiple IP's so the option to remember would be preferred (by me at least) :)
Same here, travel makes for many ip changes, it is not always convenient/necessary to attach a dongle.
Munka

tin

Post by tin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:32 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We will add a 'tick the box' remember my log in before the end of the week.
Which week would that be? It's still not got an option for remembering the account details - and it's bloody annoying.

How about instead/also having an option to link a forum account to an Exetel account? I use lots of different computers, and this new thing means having to log in twice to post. I'm also not entirely keen to enter an internet account username and password into a public computer... If someone gets my forum details, they can post things as me - but if they get my Exetel details, they can cancel accounts, send SMSes, etc.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:05 pm

I'd prefer that the login procedure bugs were sorted first - I have to use a KDE box with Konqueror 4 installed to get here at all. It should not be too difficult to eliminate any non-current Exetel users from the forum membership list, and then just use the forum's html form login, which any decent browser can remember.

A range of browsers fail on the ADSL user login at the php script, so that both the forum and the comments page to JL's blog are equally inaccessible. Included in that browser list is the important app Opera, which for me is both bash- and javascripted into my total environment. Reverting to something as clunky as FF on the desktop is unimaginable - annoying is hardly the word for it.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:49 am

Surely it only needs to be "authenticated" once. By "authenticated", I mean after entering the forum username/pwd, if you want to post, you have to enter in your Exetel members username/pwd. It is very annoying , and surely once (and only once) the 'forum" user is validated as being an Exetel user, then there is no longer a need for the second "login".

Why keep authenticating it a second time, if it has already been done once ?

Doing it that way, bypasses the need to check on IP's, and as people have stated, they move around and their IP changes.

Only "valid" Exetel users can login to the members area, so that is how to do the 'check', and only once.

Pete

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 am

petemoss wrote:surely once (and only once) the 'forum" user is validated as being an Exetel user, then there is no longer a need for the second "login".
One authentication is possible, but would require either:
  • Modification of phpBB php code to link php login to Exetel's database - Not going to happen as it can easily break future upgrades to phpBB
  • Modification of Exetel's database to include a forum username (since people often wish to post under an avatar) - Possible, but a little bit fiddly
  • Modification of the login page to pass Exetel IP addresses (or other approved IP address) through - Possible. Seems an easy way to address a large proportion, but not all, forum double logins
  • A persistent cookie to avoid the need for subsequent Exetel authentications - This was flagged to be implemented a while ago, and would seem to address the concern, but hasn't yet been implemented
The last option shown above is probably just as all-encompassing as your suggestion, but much easier to implement. In essence, instead of flagging a forum account as "approved" you flag a computer as "approved". This way, no modification needs to be made to Exetel database or member facilities. Having said that, flagging a forum account as "approved" is more targetted as it addresses logins from multiple computers and also avoids shared computers getting unrestricted access to the forums.

There is probably an even easier way though: Have us moderators only approve accounts with either a valid exemail.com.au email address, or an originating Exetel IP address. For all current accounts, you can automatically approve all forum accounts that pass the above, or have had posts made from an Exetel IP address. For the remainder, you can ask them to login to their member facilities for instructions on how to get their forum account (re-)approved.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:There is probably an even easier way though: Have us moderators only approve accounts with either a valid exemail.com.au email address, or an originating Exetel IP address. For all current accounts, you can automatically approve all forum accounts that pass the above, or have had posts made from an Exetel IP address. For the remainder, you can ask them to login to their member facilities for instructions on how to get their forum account (re-)approved.
That certainly sounds like a good solution. :)

Pete

tin

Post by tin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:There is probably an even easier way though: Have us moderators only approve accounts with either a valid exemail.com.au email address, or an originating Exetel IP address.
I don't use Exemail. Never have, never will... I doubt I'm alone given how common GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc are these days.
I know IP address was also mentioned, but I just wanted to point out how annoying it would be if any assumptions were made about email addresses.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Any news on the auto login ? It's a real pain logging in twice.