ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Tazz

Re: ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Post by Tazz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:33 pm

JasonM wrote:
pinoyako07 wrote: What about mine? Thanks
Automated process did it's job, your port needs to be changed, 19/08, 8am - 12pm.
So if any of us don't have ADSL2 by 12pm on the 19th there could be some other problem?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Tazz wrote:So if any of us don't have ADSL2 by 12pm on the 19th there could be some other problem?
No, I was responding to his specific case.

Your service had not been submitted yet.
I've put the order in manually.
In your case, the qualification needs to be done manually by Telstra, as the preliminary check shows an error (missing cable data).

We can follow this up this afternoon / tomorrow morning where Telstra should have an outcome to the request.

odlids

Post by odlids » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Guys,

Applied for ADSL1 to ADSL2 change on 15/08/2010, my change status says pending..... just wondering if my application survived the automatic process?

Thanks

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:57 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Over the weekend we received close to 200 new/churn/current user transfer applications which was a remarkable number and ten times more than we had expected.
Given the incredible interest in these new plans, is there any scope to now offer more plans, for example $55, 30GB/120GB? :D

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 pm

odlids wrote:Applied for ADSL1 to ADSL2 change on 15/08/2010, my change status says pending..... just wondering if my application survived the automatic process?
Please email me with your phone number, jasonm@exetel.com.au (and anyone else who is concerned on the progress of their application).
Updated: The orders are being processed, there should be no need for manual checking.
Yabbie wrote:Given the incredible interest in these new plans, is there any scope to now offer more plans, for example $55, 30GB/120GB? :D
I seriously doubt that would cover the port cost, let alone the data.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 pm

JasonM wrote:
djevoultion wrote:I also applied at the 13th and in the user facility it says "pending"
Same issue as Lou, I caught that one this morning and put it in then.

It's due tomorrow, 8am - 12pm.
Thanks Jason, much appreciated.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:05 pm

JasonM wrote:I seriously doubt that would cover the port cost, let alone the data.
Yeah, I guessed as much :( , still, if you don't ask, you don't know. I'd still love the ForumAdmin to give a definitive answer...

tecodan

Post by tecodan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm

JasonM wrote:
huh? wrote:I do not have anything listed for ADSL1 at all, just the options that I already pasted.
You are already on ADSL2+ via our other supplier - AAPT.

4Mbps down, 768kbps up - I would suggest your current speeds are line length related.
Ahh this is interesting. I have the same problem.

I thought I was on the Telstra ADSL1 8192 plan (which was what I originally signed up for a very long time ago), on TELM great-grandfathered plan to be exact. But it seems after reading this thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29996&hilit=8192+aapt) my connection was moved to the AAPT infrastructure sometime in 2008 without any notification.

I had never thought about plugging in an ADSL2 modem so I was unware that I had been moved to an ADSL2 connection!

I suppose there would be no reason for me to move to these new plans then. I will however be changing plans now that I know the huge premium I'm paying is actually not going to Telstra!

However Jason, you quoted 4Mbps down on the AAPT network, is that correct, as I thought maximum downlink is 18mbit?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 pm

tecodan wrote:
However Jason, you quoted 4Mbps down on the AAPT network, is that correct, as I thought maximum downlink is 18mbit?
maximum and actual are two different things

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:35 pm

tecodan wrote: I had never thought about plugging in an ADSL2 modem so I was unware that I had been moved to an ADSL2 connection!

I suppose there would be no reason for me to move to these new plans then. I will however be changing plans now that I know the huge premium I'm paying is actually not going to Telstra!

Our processes for transferring to ADSL2+ aren't very impacting on the customer that they don't notice :)

The speed for that customer was 4Mbps - the speeds are up to 24Mbps, but, the quoted maximum is 18Mbps (because the reality is many users can't even get that).
Telstra also will have maximums of 24Mbps, but the quoted speeds being less is as above, most users won't see 24Mbps.
It's not often that during troubleshooting support issues, I see anything above 12 - 15Mbps.

richo

Post by richo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi,
Is there a Status Page (like http://www.exetel.com.au/a_application_status.php) that we can go to and check our application status ?
Thanks.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 pm

If I'm on 8192 already and that adsl2exchanges websites calculator thing works out a theoretical maximum of 8xxx ish, is there any point changing to ADSL2? Could the estimate be out a couple of meg?

I'm on FP-D2, I'll probably change to TE-M if not ADSL2, as I don't use much data these days (so data increase on TE-2D is irrelevant). If speed difference is negligible, what will Exetel lose the least money on - TE-M or TE-2D? I am after all receiving the P.D.

Edit: Would ADSL2 be worth it for upload speeds?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Graham C wrote:If I'm on 8192 already and that adsl2exchanges websites calculator thing works out a theoretical maximum of 8xxx ish, is there any point changing to ADSL2? Could the estimate be out a couple of meg?
Any estimate should be taken as an estimate only.

Line frequencies for ADSL1 are to 1.1Mhz, for ADSL2+ this is to 2.2Mhz. The increased frequency should mean that there are faster speeds, even if you are currently getting 4Mbps on ADSL1 due to distance.

There are other factors that cause the speed to not be exactly double, interference in the premises, and on the copper line in the field may mean increases may not be double.

By doubling the frequency, I would have expected faster speeds.

We won't be able to investigate slow speed issues for ADSL2+ services above 110KB/sec, this is the same rule applied to 8Mbps service, and (as far as I was last aware), forms part of our agreement with the supplier.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:14 pm

JasonM wrote:
Graham C wrote:If I'm on 8192 already and that adsl2exchanges websites calculator thing works out a theoretical maximum of 8xxx ish, is there any point changing to ADSL2? Could the estimate be out a couple of meg?
Any estimate should be taken as an estimate only.

Line frequencies for ADSL1 are to 1.1Mhz, for ADSL2+ this is to 2.2Mhz. The increased frequency should mean that there are faster speeds, even if you are currently getting 4Mbps on ADSL1 due to distance.

There are other factors that cause the speed to not be exactly double, interference in the premises, and on the copper line in the field may mean increases may not be double.

By doubling the frequency, I would have expected faster speeds.

We won't be able to investigate slow speed issues for ADSL2+ services above 110KB/sec, this is the same rule applied to 8Mbps service, and (as far as I was last aware), forms part of our agreement with the supplier.
Hmmm thanks. You didn't make the decision for me like I was hoping, but I guess that's not your job :)

I get 800+KB/s on 8192, so I guess I can expect considerably faster speeds based on what you have said.

ohayes

Post by ohayes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:59 pm

I just got home and the ADSL2+ speed switchover is enabled!

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 6.3 8.3
Attenuation (dB): 10.0 3.4
Output Power (dBm): 12.4 14.4
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 24396 1100
Rate (Kbps): 23979 1020

I have basically a perfect sync, so THANK YOU to Exetel for making this happen! :mrgreen: