ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
JasonM

Re: ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am

djevoultion wrote:You can check at http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ to see if your exchange is Telstra ADSL2+ Enabled.
You can, but I've found that site to be regularly outdated. My local exchange for example, has gone in and out of port availability at least 4 times over the last 12 months. The status always showed available.
Plus, with our checks, we can see if things like CAN based DSLAMs are going to get in the way of providing a service.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 am

JasonM wrote:
Tazz wrote:I'm still waiting too, but how will I know that it's gone through to do the router reboot...?
It should go through tomorrow, bearing in mind your service was the target of manual checks by the supplier - so could easily get rejected.
Any idea what the manual checks were? and why they could be the cause of a rejection?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:01 am

Tazz wrote:Any idea what the manual checks were? and why they could be the cause of a rejection?
Missing cable data records.
So, when their staff do investigate, they could find a reason you could not have ADSL2+, or, they might find you can :).

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:20 am

Hello, I'd just like to clarify a few things.
I am currently on a 1500k plan, I am not in contract.

I understand there will be a $30 charge to move to telstra adsl2+.
Will there be a new 6 month contract or do I stay not locked in?

And are people on telstra adsl2+ being 'upgraded' automatically to aapt/iinet dslams (when they become available) like with other telstra adsl1 plans?

And finally.. If I was to apply today for example, is it really quite possible I'll get adsl2+ speeds tomorrow? Does the speed change but my plan remain the same till the end of the month? Or do I get a pro-rata new month? or something.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 am

Musicinbed wrote:Hello, I'd just like to clarify a few things.
I am currently on a 1500k plan, I am not in contract.

1)I understand there will be a $30 charge to move to telstra adsl2+.

2)Will there be a new 6 month contract or do I stay not locked in?

3)And are people on telstra adsl2+ being 'upgraded' automatically to aapt/iinet dslams (when they become available) like with other telstra adsl1 plans?

4)And finally.. If I was to apply today for example, is it really quite possible I'll get adsl2+ speeds tomorrow? Does the speed change but my plan remain the same till the end of the month? Or do I get a pro-rata new month? or something.

1) Correct.

2) New 6 month contract

3) No - if you don't apply we can't do it for you.

4) Speed change is usually overnight - download allowances and pricing gets changed on 1st of next month.

Angusp

Post by Angusp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 am

ForumAdmin wrote:4) Speed change is usually overnight - download allowances and pricing gets changed on 1st of next month.
I submitted a plan change on one of my accounts last Friday (13th) and the speed still has not changed. When should I expect to see it by? End of the week?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 am

Angusp wrote:I submitted a plan change on one of my accounts last Friday (13th) and the speed still has not changed. When should I expect to see it by? End of the week?
Can you please PM your service number to me?

ronCYA

Post by ronCYA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 pm

My change went through a day ago. Thanks for that :D

Real world speeds went from ~150-155 KBps to ~450KBps. This is without upgrading filters or cables or anything at all. My router was already ADSL2+ compatible though.

navy blue

Post by navy blue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Im excited like everyone been "hopefully" able to get adsl2 now.

Currently on adsl1 (1500) Shifting house in 4 weeks time, and want to continue with exetel. Will be on a different exchange and Telstra preliminary checks show that adsl2 is available.

What is the best way to get across to adsl2? Wait until we shift, cancel our adsl at current premises and put adsl2 order in on new premises? Or can the current service I am on be "rolled over" to the new premises?
What costs would be involved? A relocation cost, churn cost or new service cost? Little bit lost on the process to take, just dont want to be down from the internet for too long as need it for work purposes.

I can PM new address and phone # if this helps to make sure I can get adsl2 at new premises.

Keep up the good work!

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 pm

navy blue wrote:What is the best way to get across to adsl2? Wait until we shift, cancel our adsl at current premises and put adsl2 order in on new premises? Or can the current service I am on be "rolled over" to the new premises?
At this moment, the move service page in the members area does not have ADSL2+ options.
I'll ask to see if this can be done.

As the 6 month contract would apply for changing speed, you would be best sticking it out until the relocation, and then relocate to ADSL2+.

As to costs, relocating involves a cancellation and a new activation, if you are in contract, cancellation applies in addition to relocation charges.

Downtime: It's relative to when you have the PSTN line activated at the new address, Telstra take about 1 day to update the wholesale systems for a relocation, which we can then use to place the order, the order takes 4 - 7 days to activate usually.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:34 pm

navy blue wrote:Currently on adsl1 (1500) Shifting house in 4 weeks time, and want to continue with exetel. Will be on a different exchange and Telstra preliminary checks show that adsl2 is available.

What is the best way to get across to adsl2? Wait until we shift, cancel our adsl at current premises and put adsl2 order in on new premises? Or can the current service I am on be "rolled over" to the new premises?
You can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au or provisioning@exetel.com.au to confirm availability at new address if you like, but I'd think the easiest process would be to "relocate" using your Member Facilities. Even though it is a "relocation" you must nominate a current plan for activation at the new address. However, I'm not sure that the Telstra ADSL2+ plans are appearing in the member's facilities under "Move Service".

For more control over the timing of the relocation, you can definitely apply for a new service, then email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to move all your history / email accounts / etc to the new servcie, then cancel the old. This guarantees that you have no downtime.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:For more control over the timing of the relocation, you can definitely apply for a new service, then email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to move all your history / email accounts / etc to the new servcie, then cancel the old. This guarantees that you have no downtime.
It's even easier than that Corey, on the relocation form:
Date You Request to Cancel Current Service:

Start Proceedings of New ADSL Service:

If you are moving and already have a new phone number, start the proceedings 'right away', and specify the cancellation of the current service to be whenever you last expect to use that, the date you cancel can be after the start of the new service.

Telstra don't have relocation options, so we send a cancel request on 'date you request to cancel' and we send a new order on 'start proceedings of new adsl service'. The customer data is migrated as part of that relocation.

This gets complicated if you want to keep the same number, what happens there is when the number is moved to the new address, the systems can take 24 hours to update, the order is put in, the phone service at the current address is dropped (because the number is moved), so that causes the internet to be lost.
The new order goes in and gets activated, downtime is a necessity to keep the same number.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:50 pm

JasonM wrote:
djevoultion wrote:I also applied at the 13th and in the user facility it says "pending"
Same issue as Lou, I caught that one this morning and put it in then.

It's due tomorrow, 8am - 12pm.

It's 12:49Pm here and I'm still on ADSL1, Jason can you check if I have been connected? I have PM'd my service number to you.

navy blue

Post by navy blue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 pm

JasonM wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:For more control over the timing of the relocation, you can definitely apply for a new service, then email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to move all your history / email accounts / etc to the new servcie, then cancel the old. This guarantees that you have no downtime.
It's even easier than that Corey, on the relocation form:
Date You Request to Cancel Current Service:

Start Proceedings of New ADSL Service:

If you are moving and already have a new phone number, start the proceedings 'right away', and specify the cancellation of the current service to be whenever you last expect to use that, the date you cancel can be after the start of the new service.

Telstra don't have relocation options, so we send a cancel request on 'date you request to cancel' and we send a new order on 'start proceedings of new adsl service'. The customer data is migrated as part of that relocation.

This gets complicated if you want to keep the same number, what happens there is when the number is moved to the new address, the systems can take 24 hours to update, the order is put in, the phone service at the current address is dropped (because the number is moved), so that causes the internet to be lost.
The new order goes in and gets activated, downtime is a necessity to keep the same number.
Thanks guys, looks like the best option is to cancel existing service on the day we are shifting out AND create a new service for the new premises on the same day.
Dont have the new phone number yet, if I ring Telstra and get it organised now, will they be able to give me a new number straight away? If so then I can put the new adsl2 order in now and ask to provision the adsl on the new phone line say on the next day? ie phone line provisioned on day 1 and adsl2 provisioned on day2?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:57 pm

You've got 4 weeks to spare, allow 1 week prior to the relocation and that'll ensure you reduce / remove downtime.
But, be sure the previous people have moved out if there are people there already, they won't like losing their line :)