ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
sable

Re: ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Post by sable » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Jason
At this moment, the move service page in the members area does not have ADSL2+ options.
I'll ask to see if this can be done.
Not sure where it is up to but see this post.

viewtopic.php?f=303&t=13184&start=450

It would be relley good if you could chase it up.

navy blue

Post by navy blue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:10 pm

JasonM wrote:You've got 4 weeks to spare, allow 1 week prior to the relocation and that'll ensure you reduce / remove downtime.
But, be sure the previous people have moved out if there are people there already, they won't like losing their line :)
Thanks Jason, yeh have a bit of time up my sleeve, just trying to get it all organised in good time. Apparently the current people in the house are getting the phone line cutoff on a Friday? When would I request Telstra to provision the phone line for me, the same Friday, Saturday or the Monday? We are shifting in on the Wednesday, so doesnt leave much time? When I would ask you to provision the adsl, the same day as Telstra or the day after?

Many Thanks

kingy

Post by kingy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 pm

JasonM wrote:
kingy wrote: Does that mean I'm on a RIM or line extender or something?
The preliminary check for your service shows ADSL2+ is not available.
That's really disappointing Jason :( :(
I guess I'll be stuck on 8Meg for the next ~10 years!!!!

1. I guess it's obviously in Telstra Wholesale's hands?
2. Is there anything that one can do, money that can be paid, whatever, to get the RIM which I'm on ADSL2+ enabled?
3. Do Telstra ever upgrade these? How often?

Cheers,
Joel

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:20 pm

kingy wrote:1. I guess it's obviously in Telstra Wholesale's hands?
2. Is there anything that one can do, money that can be paid, whatever, to get the RIM which I'm on ADSL2+ enabled?
3. Do Telstra ever upgrade these? How often?
To all your questions the answer is "We don't know".

Telstra choose what / if / when they'll upgrade anything in their network.
Users don't bear the costs of Telstra's infrastructure upgrades - you won't be able to own it.

lou20

Post by lou20 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Looks like I'm connected...
Is this a normal speed or should I be looking at getting faster..?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6017 kbps 882 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 6 db

Cheers

Lou

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 pm

lou20 wrote:Looks like I'm connected...
Is this a normal speed or should I be looking at getting faster..?
No that looks normal, with a line attenuation of 49db that is probably the fastest you will achieve.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm Also Connected :)

Operational Mode G.Dmt.Bis
Annex Type AnnexA
Upstream 1024000
Downstream 6407483
SNR Margin(Upstream) 8.5 dB
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.30 dB
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 57.5 dB

ancient one

Post by ancient one » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

forum admin,i am on the telstra 8mb fpd2 plan with a twelve month contract,could you please confirm that moving to a telstra adsl2+ plan is only considered a speed change and not a contract break.Also.i receive the pioneer discount having been with exetel since 16march 2004,will the pioneer discount be applied to the telstra adsl2+ plans?

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:44 pm

ancient one wrote:forum admin,i am on the telstra 8mb fpd2 plan with a twelve month contract,could you please confirm that moving to a telstra adsl2+ plan is only considered a speed change and not a contract break.
FA has already confirmed this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36486&start=180#p280196
ForumAdmin wrote: 1)Exetel Telstra ADSL1 to Telstra ADSL2 constitutes a speed change at $10.00 - not an infrastructure change so does not involve contract break but does require a new six month contract.

2) Other ISP Telstra ADSL1 to Exetel Telstra ADSL2 requires a churn at today's cost of $25.00

3) Exetel ADSL2 on AAPT or Optus infrastructure to Telstra ADSL2 represents a contract break and, because Telstra does not participate in the ADSL2 churn process also represents a loss of service.
ancient one wrote:Also.i receive the pioneer discount having been with exetel since 16march 2004,will the pioneer discount be applied to the telstra adsl2+ plans?
The discount would be applied at the account level and not the adsl service level i would imagine so you would receive the discount still (though i cannot confirm this).

CrackerJak1

Post by CrackerJak1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Just received this devastating news!

"It seems that you're currently not serviceable for the Telstra ADSL2+ service as your exchange capacity has reached its' maximum and there are no vacant ports available presently at your local exchange."

I guess this means the adsl1 port I occupy can't be just upgraded to an adsl2 port right?

So in 2010...... anyone else that wants a broadband connection in my area can't get one because the government and tel$tra don't give a $**t!

The 'pre-service' check that exetel carry out, can I do the check myself? I'll need to watch for available ports like a hawk from now on as a change to adsl2 will save me 33% on my internet bill and the increased upload speed would be a godsend.

Worth calling telstra daily to inquire about open adsl2 ports?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 pm

CrackerJak1 wrote:
Worth calling telstra daily to inquire about open adsl2 ports?
no, but worth bookmarking this page and checking the Excel file regularly for updates on your exchange http://telstrawholesale.com/products/da ... -plans.htm

huh?

Post by huh? » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 pm

tecodan wrote:
JasonM wrote:
huh? wrote:I do not have anything listed for ADSL1 at all, just the options that I already pasted.
You are already on ADSL2+ via our other supplier - AAPT.
Thanks JasonM
Wow, don't check back for a few days and this thread gets another 6 or 7 pages added to it!!

Well that is "great" news that I can get ADSL2.
JasonM wrote: 4Mbps down, 768kbps up - I would suggest your current speeds are line length related.
I realise I am a fair distance away from the exchange....would it make any difference using an ADSL2/+ modem?
Or filters?

My modem has ADSL2 and ADSL2+ "profiles" on it so maybe it would help to move it to one of those?
Although I made the mistake of thinking that my account is set to 8Mb / 384K and have never seen it go higher than 350.
I don't upload that much or that often though and certainly don't watch everytime, don't use DU Meter or anything like that so who knows.
tecodan wrote:
Ahh this is interesting. I have the same problem.

I thought I was on the Telstra ADSL1 8192 plan (which was what I originally signed up for a very long time ago), on TELM great-grandfathered plan to be exact. But it seems after reading this thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29996&hilit=8192+aapt) my connection was moved to the AAPT infrastructure sometime in 2008 without any notification.

I had never thought about plugging in an ADSL2 modem so I was unware that I had been moved to an ADSL2 connection!
Likewise, thanks for linking the other thread.
I recall reading that with interest thinking "it would be good if it was available at Wyong".
I even made a suggestion when FA was going spare over all these ADSL1 people that didn't seem keen to take up the offer.
On JL's blog I posted
"I am guessing due to your "word of mouth" advertising over the last 5 years that a lot (if not all) of these 15,000 users were referred by another Exetel user. These refferers obviously saw the benefits of using Exetel previously so, would it be worth send an email to the referrer (someone that has already had reasonable influence with the "hard core") to again assist in making a suggestion that the latest offer is worth the change in plan.
Maybe with an offer of a free month (or whatever you think is appropriate) for a successful conversion.

Unfortunately I would not be able to take this up myself as I don't have any referrals. I have tried talking to a couple of people but one went with Telstra after years of not being able to get ADSL at all, and the other went with TPG. Others in the family are like me - in locations that do not have ADSL2 available at the exchange.

Something to consider anyway."
If only I had realised he was talking to me / about me (along with all the others)!!!
However - in my defense the "WYNG" exchange was never listed as one that would be in scope, and I did not get an email (that I recall anyway) asking me if I wanted to move......was ever hopeful that one might come through.
I also recall getting an email once regarding the pioneer's discount on ADLS2 and thought "must have slipped through by mistake" as it had a higher value than what I actually receive.
tecodan wrote: I suppose there would be no reason for me to move to these new plans then. I will however be changing plans now that I know the huge premium I'm paying is actually not going to Telstra!
Taking up an AAPT plan like - AAB $95.00 $40.00 30 gbytes 180 GB would almost halve my connection cost per month.
But ..... with AAPT no longer in favour....how long will it be until these plans need to be moved elsewhere?
Would it be worthwhile moving to the Telstra plans anyway?
Or would that cause me to lose my ADSL as Telstra don't partake in the fast churn process?

Thanks
Where am I?

tin

Post by tin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:39 pm

CrackerJak1 wrote:I guess this means the adsl1 port I occupy can't be just upgraded to an adsl2 port right?
Not if it's a port on an older DSLAM/card. Sadly it wasn't a software upgrade for the older hardware (some newer stuff was though if I remember correctly).

On a sort of related note - ours seems to have happened some time today (or maybe last night). Hooray! Double the outbound speed, which is exactly what I wanted.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 am

Ok, so I get up this morning to find out I'm on 1500 ADSL1 speeds (1.30MB/s) - 160KB/s

Are we being shaped to ADSL1 speed's during offpeak?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 am

CrackerJak1 wrote:"It seems that you're currently not serviceable for the Telstra ADSL2+ service as your exchange capacity has reached its' maximum and there are no vacant ports available presently at your local exchange."
Your service is supplied using a "CAN based DSLAM", which as of right now has ADSL availability but not ADSL2+ ("No ports available").

Perhaps that might change in the future, provisioning have the ability to check for you from time to time.