ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ryan07

Re: ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Post by ryan07 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:56 am

I know this has been answered before but I just want to make sure that I understood correctly. If u are still locked in a current contract with exetel, u can't sign up to the new adsl2 plans until your contract has ended. Is that correct?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 pm

ryan07 wrote:I know this has been answered before but I just want to make sure that I understood correctly. If u are still locked in a current contract with exetel, u can't sign up to the new adsl2 plans until your contract has ended. Is that correct?
1)Exetel Telstra ADSL1 to Telstra ADSL2 constitutes a speed change at $10.00 - not an infrastructure change so does not involve contract break but does require a new six month contract.

2) Other ISP Telstra ADSL1 to Exetel Telstra ADSL2 requires a churn at today's cost of $25.00

3) Exetel ADSL2 on AAPT or Optus infrastructure to Telstra ADSL2 represents a contract break and, because Telstra does not participate in the ADSL2 churn process also represents a loss of service.

I don't know the exact details someone like Jason or Tim will have to answer anything else (Paul being away in Europe on holidays).

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Ok, I have sent the application through for ADSL2+, will be activated on the 1st. :)

I want to change my home phone to Telstra's HomeLine Budget (To save $10 since I'll be using voip)

When is the best time to change? Now? (I'm on ADSL1) or after I've been upgraded to ADSL2+?

Please let me know.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm

I've looked at this carefully and changing from my 1500D plan to the new TE-2E plan will give me more speed for $10 less, it's plain common sense to me.
However I have one last question that needs an answer, is my modem ok to do this? is it ADSL2 capable?
I have a D-Link DSL-302G - anyone know?

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Tazz wrote:I've looked at this carefully and changing from my 1500D plan to the new TE-2E plan will give me more speed for $10 less, it's plain common sense to me.
However I have one last question that needs an answer, is my modem ok to do this? is it ADSL2 capable?
D-Link DSL-302G is an ADSL1 Modem, you will be capped at ADSL1 8Mb sync Speeds

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:44 pm

djevoultion wrote:
Tazz wrote:I've looked at this carefully and changing from my 1500D plan to the new TE-2E plan will give me more speed for $10 less, it's plain common sense to me.
D-Link DSL-302G is an ADSL1 Modem, you will be capped at ADSL1 8Mb sync Speeds
So even if it's capped at 8mb, I'll be getting a lot faster speed than I am now for $10 less, still sounds ok to me... :)

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Tazz wrote: So even if it's capped at 8mb, I'll be getting a lot faster speed than I am now for $10 less, still sounds ok to me... :)
Yeah and if you sync at less than 8132 kbps then there is no need to upgrade the modem either. Unless the increased upload sync would be of benefit. SO hook it up and if you're not maxing out your modem then no need to upgrade it. If you are then it is possible to get even better if you upgrade. (sorry if that's stating the blindingly obvious;))
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:16 pm

dbr wrote:
Tazz wrote: So even if it's capped at 8mb, I'll be getting a lot faster speed than I am now for $10 less, still sounds ok to me... :)
Yeah and if you sync at less than 8132 kbps then there is no need to upgrade the modem either. Unless the increased upload sync would be of benefit. SO hook it up and if you're not maxing out your modem then no need to upgrade it. If you are then it is possible to get even better if you upgrade. (sorry if that's stating the blindingly obvious;))
Even if I got no extra speed at all, it's $10 a month cheaper, every cent counts these days... :D

soaper

Post by soaper » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:45 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 3) Exetel ADSL2 on AAPT or Optus infrastructure to Telstra ADSL2 represents a contract break and, because Telstra does not participate in the ADSL2 churn process also represents a loss of service.

I don't know the exact details someone like Jason or Tim will have to answer anything else (Paul being away in Europe on holidays).
i would be interested to know what length of time that break would be for..... if anyone has any ideas.

hours, days /??

i am not out of contract yet but will be in month or two

since i am AAPT..... is there any indicator of the future of customers like me ......or is it still a mystery??

thanks

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:42 pm

I just noticed the offpeak period is 2am - 8am.. that's half of what I'm currently getting (12am-12pm).. that is very disappointing. :cry:

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Zuriel wrote:Just spelling out the bit/byte thing. People use Kb for both and confusion ensues.
It should be Kb/Mb when talking about bits (such as line speed ie 1500Mb/s, 512Kb/s) and KB/MB when talking about bytes (downloading a file at 60KB/s, 2MB/s).
djevoultion wrote:I just noticed the offpeak period is 2am - 8am.. that's half of what I'm currently getting (12am-12pm).. that is very disappointing. :cry:
Yeah i'm still sad about only 6 hours too. I really think exetel needs to go back up to at least 8 hours to make their plans better value again. Maybe split the offpeak with two 4 or 6 hour periods or something.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:12 pm

djevoultion wrote:I just noticed the offpeak period is 2am - 8am.. that's half of what I'm currently getting (12am-12pm).. that is very disappointing. :cry:
Yeah i'm still sad about only 6 hours too. I really think exetel needs to go back up to at least 8 hours to make their plans better value again. Maybe split the offpeak with two 4 or 6 hour periods or something.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the plan anymore.. I usually wake up 8am and still have 4 Hours left in offpeak, Now on the new plan, I'll be in peak period when I get up...:(

ronCYA

Post by ronCYA » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:28 pm

So at the moment, there aren't any shaped plans... planned?

andrewvs

Post by andrewvs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:26 am

Have been eying off the new plans all week, just submitted my plan change application tonight :mrgreen:

The shorter off-peak time period is a bit of a compromise compared with my current 12 hours though, but hopefully it will be worth it.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 am

....or you could look at it that you have been amazingly fortunate that you have had 12 hours "off peak" for so long.

It depends on your view of life generally.