ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL2+ on telstra Exchange

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:47 pm

eecchhoo wrote:
Do you think ADSL1 8M can have the same pricing? The pricing looks good.
From from what I can see Exetel's 8 mbps pricing is already the best on the market.

ryan07

Post by ryan07 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:59 pm

If you could drop the prices say $10 more, you would have me sold!!!!!!! And im sure many many others. I live in the zone 2/3 area, so im not trying to get something for nothing. But for $60, i would sign up straight away, if i didnt have to wait till my contact ends. Maybe one way to be able to drop those prices would be to put up the excess usage to $2-$5 instead of 50c.

ryan07

Post by ryan07 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I think the best we could come up with would be:

Zone 1 - $60.00 for 60 gb peak/100 gb off peak - telephone line/calls from provider of your choice - 50 cents for excess data

Zone 2 and 3 - $70.00 for 60 gb peak/100 gb off peak - telephone line/calls from provider of your choice - 50 cents for excess data

No naked option

No lower data inclusion option

Churn charge would be $60.00

Have no idea what a new connection would be.
What would be the peak and off peak times? And how soon now do you think that exetel could produce these plans?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 pm

I am not sure we can make such plans work yet.

We need to see what we can actually get contractually and then make a few very 'brave' decisions.

Even if we do that it is by no means certain that the plans are competitive enough to be worth releasing.

Col

Post by Col » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 pm

While my first thoughts were that I would like a plan under that 60GB one (say 15 or 20GB at $55) I am now not as fussed, and if putting all your energy towards a single price point will help you be competitive then so be it. A 60GB plan at $65 is competitive imo at this point in time, however we'll just have to wait and see what the other wholesale customers do to their plans, if anything, in response to Telstra's plans.

ryan07

Post by ryan07 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 am

ForumAdmin wrote:I am not sure we can make such plans work yet.

We need to see what we can actually get contractually and then make a few very 'brave' decisions.

Even if we do that it is by no means certain that the plans are competitive to be worth releasing.
I strongly believe that if you do bring out a plan that is 60G peak and 100G off peak, is will be will very competitive. If you dont count uploads and is around the $60 mark for zone 2/3 areas and around 8-12hrs off peak. :D

tin

Post by tin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:46 am

I'm after TW ADSL2 for 2 reasons - First, it's all we can get. And 2nd, I want faster outbound speed.

Quite happy with 8mbps (sync around 6mbps), but the choked off 384k out sucks.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 am

Perverse as it may seem, we have agreed to go ahead with signing a contract to be able to sell Telstra ADSL2 services - I say 'perversely' because so many ISPs larger than Exetel and who presumably buy at much better rates than Exetel seem to think it's the end of the world since Telstra Retail announced their new ADSL2 plans.

We will not be able to offer as low priced ADSL2 via Telstra as we can via Optus or AAPT in fact it will be considerably more expensive - but it does mean that we can offer ADSL2 in far more regional and country areas - some 1200 exchanges rather than a little over 400 exchanges via Optus and AAPT.

We can also provide ADSL2 to an end user without the need for a 24 month contract or a requirement to 'bundle' an expensive Telstra 'full service line' (whatever that turns out to be) - the customer can keep using their current wire line service from the provider of their choice.

We will finalise the customer pricing once we have received the counter signed contracts but would expect to put these new plans up in the not too distant future.

Pricing in Region 2 and 3 will be around the current 8192/384 pricing.

Depending on what transpires it may be simpler than that - three plans only/no peak off peak/no bundling/six month contract/lower monthly cost than Telstra at 200gb, 100 gb and 50 gb.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Post by jokiin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:38 am

personally I think it's great news, I know it can't be as cheap as Optus/AAPT based services but there's plenty of people that want the extra speed that would rather buy anywhere other than Tesltra, nice to see this happening :)

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am

Congratulations. It shows that Exetel has a more positive contructive approach to getting results. Unlike the 'cry-babies' at this point in time. Well done, more respect to you and your team.
ForumAdmin wrote:Pricing in Region 2 and 3 will be around the current 8192/384 pricing.
Change the quoted speed and leave pricing the same on the TE-x plans from "Maximum speeds: 8192 kbps Down/384 kbps Up" to "Maximum speeds: 20/1Mbps (ADSL2+) or up to 8Mbps/384kbps (ADSL)"? Could it be that simple?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:02 pm

Ravenous wrote: Change the quoted speed and leave pricing the same on the TE-x plans from "Maximum speeds: 8192 kbps Down/384 kbps Up" to "Maximum speeds: 20/1Mbps (ADSL2+) or up to 8Mbps/384kbps (ADSL)"? Could it be that simple?
Pretty much.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Can you confirm that with ADSL2 on Telstra port that uploads won't count as part of data inclusion?

If so, this is finally what I have been waiting for -- a real alternative for those whom are not connected to one of the 400 odd exchanges that offer a better alternative.

The other thing I would like to see, but which is completely outside of Exetel's control, is the loss of the great big advertising page that is used by Bigpond on the AFL website. It totally disgusts me to see the horrible coding of the page and the huge payload of every page with all the javascript menus with all the Bigpond links that most never want to go to.

The other part to the AFL site problem is that of un-metered content for ONLY Bigpond customers at the site.

Whilst I am at it, what are the prospects of getting free peering and/or other un-metered content via an Exetel DSL connection from any DSLAM port?

Intrepidus

Post by Intrepidus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 pm

I too am very interested in this. I have been a customer since the very beginning but left to Internode for their TW ADSL2 some 6 months ago. I still have my wireless connection but would love a TW ADSL2 plan from exetel. I am not a heavy downloader at all, but am after speed (was 8192 with exetel before Internode).

wireguy

Post by wireguy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:45 pm

This is great news!

I've had to switch three of my customers away from Exetel to get the faster upload of ADSL2+ and more are in the pipeline. I need the upload for VoIP payphones that I'm installing for small business clients.

I never understood why Exetel preferred to lose long term customers rather than resell ADSL2+, as even if it was at no better a deal than available elsewhere, at least they'd be retaining their customer base going forward.

I hope this happens in a 'days/weeks' timeframe and that the plans will have "standard" Exetel inclusions, like unmetered uploads and a static IP address.

Bring it on!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Off topic.