ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
JasonM

Re: ADSL2+ on Telstra Exchanges

Post by JasonM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 am

Midnight Rider wrote:I applied to change from TE-M to TE-2D on 17th August.

I received an email from Exetel yesterday (19th Aug) stating that the plan change will be actioned on 1st Sept, but that the speed change was already active. I checked in my user facilities, and it also says "ACTIVE" for the Changing Status as well, however my service speed is still 8192/384.

I have tried cycling my modem (several times) but it still remains stuck on 8192/384. Am I mis-reading the info in the "Change Service Status" window???

Will I just have to wait until 1st Sept for both speed and plan change, or is there possibly something more sinister afoot? (like my RIM isn't ADSL2-enabled, and Telstra hasn't yet figured that out) I've had excellent service and speed on 8192/384, so it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't get ADSL2, and had to stay on 8mb.

Any ideas???
- The upgrade is due to go through 23/08, 8am - 12pm.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:20 am

Tazz wrote:
jokiin wrote:
Tazz wrote: I have these test results

your upload suggests your on ADSL2, sync as reported by your modem would confirm if that's the case, check your user manual if you're not sure where to look
Looked through the manual and can't find even a mention of sync speed anywhere in it, have also logged into the modem and gone through every screen and can't find any mention of sync speed there either.
But it's an ADSL1 modem and In a previous post in this thread I was told that even if I get an ADSL2 connection it would cap me to 8m speeds, so maybe that's what has happened.

But, I don't know exactly what Telstra have done, I don't know if I have an ADSL1 8m connection, or an ADSL2 connection, and I don't know what plan will appear in my members area on Sept 1st
If it's an ADSL1 8m connection I could be put on an 8m plan I don't want to be on, and then have to apply for the 8m plan I want and have to wait another month...

Any chance of Exetel staff finding out what has happened?

The upload speeds you posted would not be possible on an 8Mbps / 384kbps connection.
The ADSL Sync rate is found in your modem - on a status page for "ADSL" or "DSL", and might be called "Line Rate" or "Data Rate".

If the modem is ADSL1 only, then your downstream has a maximum of 8Mbps, as the upper frequencies aren't being used by your modem.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:33 am

Angusp wrote:Every time someone replies to my fault ticket it's a different person who asks me to do an isolation test or to go through the no sync test, probably not reading the whole thread of the ticket which explains multiple times that I have sync and it's not an auth issue.
This might be because you are not quoting your ticket number, and so Exetel go through procedures from step 1 again.

Regardless, if you post your ticket number to the thread, I'll try and bring it to someone's attention.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Mr Creosote

Post by Mr Creosote » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 pm

I have just (last month) re-signed up for 12 months to get wireless with my 1.5 Mb plan - not knowing that adsl2+ with Telstra was so soon to be an option for me. I just want to check whether I'd be eligible to move to ADSL2+, or whether I'd have to wait to be out of contract again.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Mr Creosote wrote:I have just (last month) re-signed up for 12 months to get wireless with my 1.5 Mb plan - not knowing that adsl2+ with Telstra was so soon to be an option for me. I just want to check whether I'd be eligible to move to ADSL2+, or whether I'd have to wait to be out of contract again.
Best to email billing@exetel.com.au to get an answer to this. ADSL1 (Telstra) -> ADSL2+ (Telstra) might have special contractual rules, especially concerning the free wireless.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:12 pm

hello.
I applied for the speed change on the 18th, my adsl1 was set to be upgraded to adsl2+ by 12pm on the 24th (today)
My modem has had no sync at all since 9am. I know that modulation for adsl2+ (and the rest too) are available for it, and I have also tried quite a few power cycles.

I'd feel silly putting a support ticket in and this clear itself up in a couple hours.. so JasonM..? Any idea what is going on?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36486&start=315#p280452
that was my old post (use it for teh info's that u probably cant get from my telstra ip)

Midnight Rider

Post by Midnight Rider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:16 pm

JasonM wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:I applied to change from TE-M to TE-2D on 17th August.

I received an email from Exetel yesterday (19th Aug) stating that the plan change will be actioned on 1st Sept, but that the speed change was already active. I checked in my user facilities, and it also says "ACTIVE" for the Changing Status as well, however my service speed is still 8192/384.

I have tried cycling my modem (several times) but it still remains stuck on 8192/384. Am I mis-reading the info in the "Change Service Status" window???

Will I just have to wait until 1st Sept for both speed and plan change, or is there possibly something more sinister afoot? (like my RIM isn't ADSL2-enabled, and Telstra hasn't yet figured that out) I've had excellent service and speed on 8192/384, so it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't get ADSL2, and had to stay on 8mb.

Any ideas???
- The upgrade is due to go through 23/08, 8am - 12pm.
Hi, Thanks for the headsup Jason.

My service speed was changed over at 6pm yesterday (23/08). I'm very happy with the new speed and stats. (almost 3 x times my previous excellent 8mb speed)

BTW, I'm on a RIM, just in case there are others out there wondering if this is possible.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Musicinbed wrote:hello.
I applied for the speed change on the 18th, my adsl1 was set to be upgraded to adsl2+ by 12pm on the 24th (today)
My modem has had no sync at all since 9am. I know that modulation for adsl2+ (and the rest too) are available for it, and I have also tried quite a few power cycles.

I'd feel silly putting a support ticket in and this clear itself up in a couple hours.. so JasonM..? Any idea what is going on?
It shouldn't lose sync for that long.
I've logged a case, currently waiting on Telstra's reply.

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:59 pm

JasonM wrote: It shouldn't lose sync for that long.
I've logged a case, currently waiting on Telstra's reply.
Thank you jason. I hope that reply comes today :(, theres something I reeeeeeally need fast internet for, at 5am onwards.

Fingers crossed that telstra just had a lunch break half way through my order Lol. *sigh*.

Zhent

Post by Zhent » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Just got connected!

Finally after so many years on 1.5Mbit, and so many frustrations of failed attempts to move to the Optus ADSL2 I am now reaping the benefits of proper broadband.
And damn it feels good, so happy right now!

I'm syncing at 5216/928 kbps , and speedtest is giving me the following,
I quickly confirmed these results with a stable Astraweb connection at 550KBs.

Pretty sweet for 4500m from the exchange!

Can't wait to do some more serious testing, particularly on that awesome upload speed.

Best of all it was quick and easy. Submitted application on the 20th, was upgraded today (24th), and as far as I could tell there was only a few minutes of downtime.

So now I find myself giving thanks to Exetel, and surprisingly, Telstra!

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Zhent wrote:Just got connected!

Finally after so many years on 1.5Mbit, and so many frustrations of failed attempts to move to the Optus ADSL2 I am now reaping the benefits of proper broadband.
And damn it feels good, so happy right now!

I'm syncing at 5216/928 kbps , and speedtest is giving me the following,
I quickly confirmed these results with a stable Astraweb connection at 550KBs.

Pretty sweet for 4500m from the exchange!

Can't wait to do some more serious testing, particularly on that awesome upload speed.

Best of all it was quick and easy. Submitted application on the 20th, was upgraded today (24th), and as far as I could tell there was only a few minutes of downtime.

So now I find myself giving thanks to Exetel, and surprisingly, Telstra!
Zhent, try changing your coding gain to 7 for a higher sync rate.

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm

*Sigh*..

almost 5pm. Still no sync of any kind. I'm not going to have any broadband for tonight or the morning am I? :(.

JasonM I hope you can get it all sorted soon for me :).
Is it possible for you to call the exchange and yell at them or something lol?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 pm

djevoultion wrote:Zhent, try changing your coding gain to 7 for a higher sync rate.
This suggestion is only available to those with certain Billion modems, but yes, it can be used to eke out an addition 0.5-1Mbps of speed. This is, however, sometimes at the sacrifice of stability so you should change the coding gain back to Auto if you find the connection dropping out more often

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 am

Musicinbed wrote:*Sigh*..

almost 5pm. Still no sync of any kind. I'm not going to have any broadband for tonight or the morning am I? :(.

JasonM I hope you can get it all sorted soon for me :).
Is it possible for you to call the exchange and yell at them or something lol?
- They've called in just then, a programming issue was the cause, It's now online.
- Telstra's exchanges are largely unmanned AFAIK.

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

JasonM wrote: - They've called in just then, a programming issue was the cause, It's now online.
- Telstra's exchanges are largely unmanned AFAIK.
aaah :D.

Thank you so much! It's all working great now :D.