Off Peak Plans/Restructure

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Off Peak Plans/Restructure

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:10 pm

cdonges wrote:That's cool that 140GB is considered reasonable. In the last 3 months I have been 120GB, 100GB and 90GB off peak on a 60GB peak plan. Looks like I am a reasonable customer.
...so long as you are scheduling the majority of those downloads for underutilised periods like 2am-7:30am
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

greesha

Post by greesha » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:so long as you are scheduling the majority of those downloads for underutilised periods like 2am-7:30am
That is good to hear. I moved to one of the new plans so my uncounted is only done from 2am-8am.

Quick question about the 50c/GB excess. I am on the OTA because some months we do very little with our internet and then steam have a sale and I go ballistic. Most of my downloading is done in off peak. Is there any situation where using the 50c/GB excess on OTA would be deemed "bad form" For example steam had their summer sale so I used 70GB excess last month during peak at 50c/GB (didn't charge me by the way some emailed billing to get the excess added to the bill). I know this is a massive amount of data compared to my plan but it puts my actual cost higher than if I had of been on OTC so surely that would mean excess @ 50c = thumbs up not thumbs down?

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:40 pm

greesha wrote: Is there any situation where using the 50c/GB excess on OTA would be deemed "bad form" ?
I am on OTB and I would like to know this too as I don't use off peak any more.

I will usually stay under the peak limit of 30GB but I may need double it occasionally (at 50c cents per GB that is only $15)

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Steam to that extent every now and then is fine, stop worrying. 50c per GB for excess couldn't possibly be an issue.

It looks like people who find themselves actively pursuing to 'squeeze' every last second of off-peak time out of their service at max bandwidth whilst on a minimum peak usage plan may be in a bit of bother ex-contract.

O.T.: What management software do you use for steam? I only know of one option.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 pm

If you are willing to pay 50c/GB, the excess usage is there for you to utilise to whatever degree you wish. An extra 30GB is not going to cause any concern at all.

For mobile broadband however there is a excess usage limit of about $25, sort of like a stop-payment. Exceed this and you'll be asked to verify that you wish to continue incurring fees; it is put in place for users' protection
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au