fetchtv?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
karLos

fetchtv?

Post by karLos » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

would exetel consider at any stage offering fetchtv? (ie the iptv type service)

http://www.fetchtv.com.au

ForumAdmin

Re: fetchtv?

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:32 pm

karLos wrote:would exetel consider at any stage offering fetchtv? (ie the iptv type service)

http://www.fetchtv.com.au
We have been looking at IPTV options for more than three years but have never found one that we think is appropriate.

We will continue to look.

wmfoster2001

Post by wmfoster2001 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:54 pm

The FetchTV option looks pretty good to me. May I ask why you feel it's not appropriate?

Even just having it on the marketing tick sheet could help sway potential customers that are debating between Internode, iiNet or Exetel as their ISP based on their "future requirements".

I presume it would not be possible to have it unmetered on a Telstra wholesale port, but could it be unlimited on the Optus ports?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:47 am

Now that we have ADSL2+ (finally, through TW) I would be interested in seeing costs of IPTV.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm

wmfoster2001 wrote:
1) The FetchTV option looks pretty good to me. May I ask why you feel it's not appropriate?

Even just having it on the marketing tick sheet could help sway potential customers that are debating between Internode, iiNet or Exetel as their ISP based on their "future requirements".

2) I presume it would not be possible to have it unmetered on a Telstra wholesale port, but could it be unlimited on the Optus ports?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.
1) We didn't think the content was particularly appealing - in fact I, personally, thought it was pretty awful. The concept of watching 'free to air' TV by having your ISP pay for the delivery is just plain bizarre.

2) The cost to Exetel using Telstra would be prohibitive. Even the cost via Optus or AAPT would be a deal breaker.

3) We think there will be many better offerings in the future.

karLos

Post by karLos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 pm

watching free to air tv via IPTV does appeal to those who live in digital signal dead areas (which includes a lot of people in inner city areas too), and for whom the only other option would be very expensive satellite or cable tv. from a user perspective the technology and setup would be significantly simpler, and the cost of subscription would probably be comparable.

then again you'd need an ISP on board willing to offer the service, and probably as an unmetered service, i know the later is probably an issue for exetel...

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 am

karLos wrote:watching free to air tv via IPTV does appeal to those who live in digital signal dead areas (which includes a lot of people in inner city areas too), and for whom the only other option would be very expensive satellite or cable tv. from a user perspective the technology and setup would be significantly simpler, and the cost of subscription would probably be comparable.

then again you'd need an ISP on board willing to offer the service, and probably as an unmetered service, i know the later is probably an issue for exetel...
Something that few people outside ISPs seem to realise is that the cost of 'back haul' is now more expensive than the cost of IP.

Providing back haul 'free' is an impossible financial scenario.

The back haul costs for ISPs that deploy their own back haul is much less than the cost of back haul from the major carriers but it is still a cost.

Ianp

Post by Ianp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Now that Optus has announced that it will be offering Fetchtv later this year does that mean exetel will also be offering the same service?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:29 am

Ianp wrote:Now that Optus has announced that it will be offering Fetchtv later this year does that mean exetel will also be offering the same service?
We haven't talked to Optus about it.

Undoubtedly we will.

karLos

Post by karLos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:45 pm

good to hear :)

blinddog

Post by blinddog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Anymore on this?

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff

Post by PiyumiK » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 am

We are currently undergoing discussions with our supplier and waiting on pricing and legal paperwork that will allow us to resell the service. We are looking at QuickFlix as an option instead of FetchTV, they are very similar in nature. Hopefully sometime later on this year it will be a viable option for Exetel.

paxman

Post by paxman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Having just had a quick look, there does seem to be one key difference though - Quickflix does not offer streaming Digital TFA?

For people like the poster above (and me) who for whatever reason cannot currently get digital FTA, this is quite key.

Fuzion

Post by Fuzion » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:09 pm

The August Newsletter mentioned about IPTV Being introduced soon.

Hopefully it's something like FetchTV =)