Response to TPG's new unlimited plans.

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
maso

Re: Response to TPG's new unlimited plans.

Post by maso » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
paracin wrote:My two cents worth
- Dodo charges $70 for unlimited broadband and phoneline
- TPG charges $60 for the same thing
Exetel, on the other hand:
Firstly, introduces additional charge of $3 for , plus $1 per extra GB (instead of $0.50)
Secondly, the fee of $20 for a plan change is not exactly the best way of thanking existing customers for staying with Exetel.
So, I paid $20 for a privilege of having 80GB for $73 when TPG and Dodo provide UNLIMITED downloads for less.

On top of all that, November Customer News Letter says for ADSL2 "...and have also included unlimited plans in each category"
Well, I could not see any reference to "unlimited" either in the link provided, or in available plans, or in my plan change options.

For the first time, after years with Exetel on ADSL1 and 2, i have a feeling that it's time to move on.
You neglect to mention that the TPG price is for 24 month contract with an 18 or 6 month contract much higher priced - same with Dodo.

Are you happy to sign up for a 24 month contract?

Exetel is more than happy to provide a bundled unlimited ADSL2 plan for $60.00 a month on a 24 month contract. Our view, at least to date, is few sensible people are prepared to sign up for such a contract length - for very good reasons.
I am very happy with my current plan with Exetel. However a 24 month contract for less would entice me, mainly due to the fact that i know Exetel provides a good service and has been doing so for years. Just my two cents.

Steve

paracin

Post by paracin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Exetel's responsibility is to offer the options, customers' responsibility is to consider them.

Maybe new customers will have their doubts but, exactly like Steve said, loyal customers, that are familiar with the quality of service Exetel provides, will have no hesitation in signing long contracts with Exetel. After all, loyal customers can be rewarded by being allowed to sign shorter contracts. As for terms and conditions, we can only compare apples with apples when we see Exetel's terms and conditions (eg I'll be relocating in about 10 months and would like to know how will that affect my long contract).

One more thing, on a general note, and this is only my humble opinion, please disregard if you think I'm being a smart a...
To stay in this ISP game, Exetel needs to stay responsive to competitors' actions as well as financially competitive (otherwise, what's the point in being based in Sri Lanka?) To stay on top, to have the edge, Exetel needs to retain the quality of the service. Or Exetel can even lead by being the one providing new solutions and offers, by being the one to follow.

Paracin

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 pm

paracin wrote:Exetel's responsibility is to offer the options, customers' responsibility is to consider them.

Maybe new customers will have their doubts but, exactly like Steve said, loyal customers, that are familiar with the quality of service Exetel provides, will have no hesitation in signing long contracts with Exetel. After all, loyal customers can be rewarded by being allowed to sign shorter contracts. As for terms and conditions, we can only compare apples with apples when we see Exetel's terms and conditions (eg I'll be relocating in about 10 months and would like to know how will that affect my long contract).

One more thing, on a general note, and this is only my humble opinion, please disregard if you think I'm being a smart a...
To stay in this ISP game, Exetel needs to stay responsive to competitors' actions as well as financially competitive (otherwise, what's the point in being based in Sri Lanka?) To stay on top, to have the edge, Exetel needs to retain the quality of the service. Or Exetel can even lead by being the one providing new solutions and offers, by being the one to follow.

Paracin
Exetel is a different company to companies like TPG and Dodo - we only entered the business to provide the very best service at the lowest price of any supplier....TPG have very different reasons for being in business and its anybody's guess why a company like Dodo is in the communications business.

We donate one third of our profits to charity and work as hard as we possibly can to deliver on our base commitments over the last seven years.

We have been pretty successful in doing that over almost seven years and if we ever reach the point where we cant deliver the best service in Australia at the lowest price in Australia we will stop providing residential services.

So far - so good.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 pm

ForumAdmin, Will Exetel match TPG's off-net adsl2 plans? They are offering 100GB/100GB for $59.99, this is double the peak usage and $8 cheaper than Exetel's TE-2D, both plans on Telstra's network.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

djevoultion wrote:ForumAdmin, Will Exetel match TPG's off-net adsl2 plans? They are offering 100GB/100GB for $59.99, this is double the peak usage and $8 cheaper than Exetel's TE-2D, both plans on Telstra's network.
I do not have second sight......I also don't pre-announce things.

I doubt whether Exetel will ever demand 24 months contracts from customers - it is not in anyone's interests.....most of all the customer.

If you, or anyone else find(s) another supplier's offerings more attractive than Exetel's in terms of your current or expected use and your current and expected budget then I would expect you to move away from Exetel.

If you think a 24 month or 18 month contract is sensible then that is your decision.....personally I doubt you will hold that opinion in even six months time - let alone twelve month's time.

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:19 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
djevoultion wrote:ForumAdmin, Will Exetel match TPG's off-net adsl2 plans? They are offering 100GB/100GB for $59.99, this is double the peak usage and $8 cheaper than Exetel's TE-2D, both plans on Telstra's network.
I do not have second sight......I also don't pre-announce things.

I doubt whether Exetel will ever demand 24 months contracts from customers - it is not in anyone's interests.....most of all the customer.

If you, or anyone else find(s) another supplier's offerings more attractive than Exetel's in terms of your current or expected use and your current and expected budget then I would expect you to move away from Exetel.

If you think a 24 month or 18 month contract is sensible then that is your decision.....personally I doubt you will hold that opinion in even six months time - let alone twelve month's time.
It's not about contracts for me (btw, TPG's contract period is 6 months for Off-net plans not 24 or 12 months), It's about the monthly access cost and the bandwidth provided.

Didn't you say above "if we ever reach the point where we cant deliver the best service in Australia at the lowest price in Australia we will stop providing residential services."

I'm sure many customer's would agree, if the monthly fee for the plan 'is the lowest price in Australia' for the amount of bandwidth provided and Exetel remain competitive in their pricing and bandwidth allocation, then surely even a 6month or 12 month contract would be largely irrelevant in their consideration.

The reason I'm asking, is I'm happy with Exetel's service so far and would like to stay with them (family and friends are with them) provided they remain competitive. I don't want to go through the hassle of churning over if Exetel are planning to introduce new plans which match TPG's in the coming weeks. Surely, Exetel and TPG are purchasing wholesale from Telstra at the same cost price? Then how is it, TPG are offering a plan which is considerably better value than the one provided by Exetel?

tones

Post by tones » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

I am about to move to an exchange which only has Telstra or TPG equipment in it and am being tempted by the TPG ADSL2+ 100GB plan but don't use that much data.

I would like to see another Exetel/Telstra ADSL2+ plan with less data, a 20GB any time data plan would suit me, or even bring back the zero monthly included data and just pay as you use plans. I enjoy the upload speed of ADSL2+ when using video over skype and VOIP but, don't need such a high data allowance.

I had considered going wireless but use just a little too much data to make that a suitable alternative.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:06 pm

I can add nothing to what has already been said - and neither can anyone else from Exetel.

We will not be offering plans on 24 month contracts - anyone who doesn't own their own home and plans to stay in it would be foolish to consider such contract lengths.

Anyway - perhaps the best place to consider this sort of pointless discussi0n is on the forums of the ISPs anyone is considering moving to.

Thread closed.